What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

jim_57

Staff member

Matua

Bench
Wasn’t there some conjecture that Telstra wasn’t too keen on the Warriors having Vodafone as their major sponsor? Guess spark isn’t really a competitor in the grand scheme of things
I think it's all clear now as both Spark and OneNZ (after the rebranding) aren't competitors.

Westpac/ANZ would be good sponsor options as they'd get exposure on both sides of the ditch.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Even though league is at its strongest in NZ in Auckland it’s still a minor sport. Unions second Auckland super rugby team failed to capture an audience and had to import a decent chunk of players from outside provinces to make it competitive’ , its NRL team would be the same. Warriors at the moment are NZs de facto team, if there were a second based in another NZ city you’d be much more likely for particularly non Auckland fans to jump on the new team and the galvanise the Auckland supporters to the Warriors
So a minor sport is the highest attended in the city this year? lol

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It is a good question and has nothing to do with a general premise over whether two teams can share a city. We're discussing Auckland specifically. Where do you think this fanbase is coming from? (Even if it's not tomorrow).
It's coming from Auckland obviously

ash the bash

Juniors

Canard

Immortal
So a minor sport is the highest attended in the city this year? lol
The Swans have had the highest average attendance in Sydney for decades despite the fact that Aussie Rules is a minor sport in Sydney. Sometimes things just work out that way.
As repeated Ad Nausem also, isn't this a misunderstanding of the culture of Union and particularly the game in NZ.

The game starts and ends with the All Blacks and everything else is just a support act. Whereas in our game the club game rules supreme.(shit half of LU wants Origin scrapped)

I haven't looked at the numbers, but surely the ABs outdrew the Warriors in 2023?

The Warriors 2023 after many years of absence was awesome, let's hope it can continue. But that thought that League can displace the All Blacks is the sort of thing we ridicule AFL propagandists over.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
. But that thought that League can displace the All Blacks is the sort of thing we ridicule AFL propagandists over.
But you can`t tell me that if the AB`s continue to slide (like the wallabies) and NRL can get its`s act together and have 2 or 3 permanent top 8, regularly premiership winning, Rugby League teams in that country we could see a transition a lot quicker than you think.
There could be a lot of appeal in an Oz, NZ, Pacific (inc.PNG) wide Rugby League competition with first grade teams in every feasible corner of the region. Best and broadest `rugby` competition in the world is what potentially we are on the verge of.

Matua

Bench
As repeated Ad Nausem also, isn't this a misunderstanding of the culture of Union and particularly the game in NZ.

The game starts and ends with the All Blacks and everything else is just a support act.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but surely the ABs outdrew the Warriors in 2023?

The Warriors 2023 after many years of absence was awesome, let's hope it can continue. But that thought that League can displace the All Blacks is the sort of thing we ridicule AFL propagandists over.
The ABs played a test at Mt Smart which had more spectators than the Warriors (and there were no $10 tickets for the test match). Which of course doesn't diminish the great crowds the Warriors had this year but there as you note does give some perspective.

Half of the Warriors top crowd attendances at Mt Smart have happened this year. Next year will be the test to see whether this was a flash in the pan bandwagon or is the new normal. Obviously a lot of that will rest on how the team performs on the field.

Matua

Bench
But you can`t tell me that if the AB`s continue to slide (like the wallabies) and NRL can get its`s act together and have 2 or 3 permanent top 8, regularly premiership winning, Rugby League teams in that country we could see a transition a lot quicker than you think.
There could be a lot of appeal in an Oz, NZ, Pacific (inc.PNG) wide Rugby League competition with first grade teams in every feasible corner of the region. Best and broadest `rugby` competition in the world is what potentially we are on the verge of.
You're making a bit of a leap with the comparison with the Wallabies.

Regardless of what happens at the current world cup there will be renewed and excited interest in the ABs next year due to the new coach. It can't be understated how much the current coach is disliked and how highly rated the new coach coming in is.

And such is the nature of RWC knockout matches the ABs could actually fluke a win this year.

Gobsmacked

Bench
The ABs played a test at Mt Smart which had more spectators than the Warriors (and there were no $10 tickets for the test match). Which of course doesn't diminish the great crowds the Warriors had this year but there as you note does give some perspective.

Half of the Warriors top crowd attendances at Mt Smart have happened this year. Next year will be the test to see whether this was a flash in the pan bandwagon or is the new normal. Obviously a lot of that will rest on how the team performs on the field.
The All blacks can certainly be displaced as far as genuine rugby supporters.
The All blacks are a national team and draw supporters from the nation because of their love for their nation!
Will kiwis like NRL more than thier nation? Of course not! But they can like NRL more than Rugby.

Biggest ratings of the year in Australia: Matildas !
Are we a massive supporter of Women's soccer? Of course not
Do we love our country and want it succeed of a global stage? A big YES

That will always be the case..

Now, the kiwis get thier shit together for a decade and we'll talk.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You're making a bit of a leap with the comparison with the Wallabies.

Regardless of what happens at the current world cup there will be renewed and excited interest in the ABs next year due to the new coach. It can't be understated how much the current coach is disliked and how highly rated the new coach coming in is.

And such is the nature of RWC knockout matches the ABs could actually fluke a win this year.
Mate when during covid the same union teams were playing each other over and over I was reading that a lot of Kiwi`s were getting a bit sick of seeing the same teams playing each other, if Oz rugby continues to slide you could well find yourself back in that predicament.
I know you have your popular NPC, but if a big region wide competition like a fully expanded wealthy NRL then came in over the top, I don`t think it is beyond reasonable expectations that a lot of eyes (and importantly, up and coming talent) may be drawn away from the local product,
Anyway, pie in the sky just yet, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Canard

Immortal
The All blacks are a national team and draw supporters from the nation because of their love for their nation!
Will kiwis like NRL more than thier nation? Of course not! But they can like NRL more than Rugby.

Mate when during covid the same union teams were playing each other over and over I was reading that a lot of Kiwi`s were getting a bit sick of seeing the same teams playing each other, if Oz rugby continues to slide you could well find yourself back in that predicament.
I know you have your popular NPC, but if a big region wide competition like a fully expanded wealthy NRL then came in over the top, I don`t think it is beyond reasonable expectations that a lot of eyes (and importantly, up and coming talent) may be drawn away from the local product,
Anyway, pie in the sky just yet, but not beyond the realms of possibility.
You guys are off chops if you think the NRL will become a bigger sport then the All Blacks.

And that a sudden decline in success for the ABs would suddenly see people shifting to League.(as an aside, wouldn't the same apply to the Kiwis)?

Our game doesn't have to be No1 though(f**k it isn't even in Australia), we just need a good foothold and a strong supporter base

The Maltildas argument ignores that this was a once in a lifetime event.

Matua

Bench

Comparing the Matildas to the All Blacks is just silly as an analogy as the ABs have always been the biggest team in the biggest sport in NZ.

The analogy actually works best for the Warriors. Will Kiwis get on the bandwagon to support a successful Warriors side? A big YES. Will they still be around when that form dips - history says a big NO.

Now, as an actual Kiwi, do I want the Warriors and Kiwis to be successful, a big YES. Do I want the ABs to be successful, also a big YES. Is there space for both in NZ, another big YES.

Gobsmacked

Bench
You guys are off chops if you think the NRL will become a bigger sport then the All Blacks.

And that a sudden decline in success for the ABs would suddenly see people shifting to League.(as an aside, wouldn't the same apply to the Kiwis)?

Our game doesn't have to be No1 though(f**k it isn't even in Australia), we just need a good foothold and a strong supporter base

The Maltildas argument ignores that this was a once in a lifetime event.
When I was a teenager, I used to buy CD's . It was expensive and you had to be really sure that you wanted it. If I had a couple of dollars, I could walk down to the phone box and call 1 of my mates ( if they were home) then use the back of the phone book to try and remember directions.
Now I have every bit of music made almost in the palm of my hand running through my Bluetooth and my phone on the dash navigating, I get a call, press a button and talk away endlessly all for free.

Point is: anyone suggesting things will never change are fools.

Canard

Immortal
When I was a teenager, I used to buy CD's . It was expensive and you had to be really sure that you wanted it. If I had a couple of dollars, I could walk down to the phone box and call 1 of my mates ( if they were home) then use the back of the phone book to try and remember directions.
Now I have every bit of music made almost in the palm of my hand running through my Bluetooth and my phone on the dash navigating, I get a call, press a button and talk away endlessly all for free.

Point is: anyone suggesting things will never change are fools.
What would you say to people who claim that Aussie Rules will soon become the biggest sport in QLD and they can take over NSW in 5 to 10 years.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Comparing the Matildas to the All Blacks is just silly as an analogy as the ABs have always been the biggest team in the biggest sport in NZ.

The analogy actually works best for the Warriors. Will Kiwis get on the bandwagon to support a successful Warriors side? A big YES. Will they still be around when that form dips - history says a big NO.

Now, as an actual Kiwi, do I want the Warriors and Kiwis to be successful, a big YES. Do I want the ABs to be successful, also a big YES. Is there space for both in NZ, another big YES.
Warriors have Australians in the side among other nationalities ffs.
The analogy was almost a direct correlation, apparently doesn't suit your argument.
If kiwis have success for a decade, you'll see similar support grow.
I was in a pub recently for the Italian game, there were plenty that barely knew what was going on- just passionate about their country and the team that had given them a reason to be proud.
I'm happy to move on if you can't except that very obvious fact.