What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

cardinal

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
Smith developed them, Hagan does sh*t all. He relied too heavily on old-heads and made no plans for the future. Enjoy Inu and Mateo cause Hagan will make no-one like them.

No point developing them if you wont play them, and he did not develop them that was natural ability and their junior coaches that handled that. Do you realise that Jarryd Hayne was picked for Australia last year but Brian up untill round 6 when he left, still thought Matt Peterson was the better winger. Scary thought. Our young kids are signing long term contracts because they want to play under Hags. If Hags did nothing to develop young talent at newcastle then how come you have had succesfull JF teams lately.

Oh sorry Mullen is his name

macavity

Referee
If Hags did nothing to develop young talent at newcastle then how come you have had succesfull JF teams lately.

1. huge and productive junior nursery

2. rip taylor

how come hardly any players came through from JF to FG during Hages' tenure...?

AdamT

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
99 isn't good enough, hey?

Big Deal. Just because he made up his mind that the Knights were not going to offer him a gig in 2008 is he supposed to spit the dummy and not play his 100th game you tool?

Pumba

First Grade
Knights release Newton

NEWCASTLE Knights forward Clint Newton has been granted an immediate release from the club and is considering an offer from English Super League club Harlequins.
Newton dropped the bombshell announcement at a press conference at his home, saying he had been told by Knights coach Brian Smith he was not required at the club next season.
Newton played his 100th first grade game for the club in Sunday's record 71-6 loss to Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.
The 25-year-old was off contract at the club after the season and spoke to Smith after receiving an approach from Harlequins.
In an interview with FOX SPORTS after Sunday's thrashing, Newton made a point of thanking those who had supported him throughout his 100 games.
Formerly a second rower, Newton has been pushed up into the front row by Smith this season.
He represented Country Origin from the bench in the clash with City this month.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21807275-23214,00.html

All The Best Clint!!

Sacrolishes

Juniors
good luck clint..few good moments..few bad ones

my worry is that we wont be signing anyone as in quality front rowers for this season..cause there is basically no way in hell that manly will relase Kite nor penrith with Clinton...f**k me!!

love to see what smithy is planning here.. i have faith..but maby we in for one very lean yr!
unless his thoughts are to blow it up the young forwards..make em worth while FG's aka Pato Snowden Taufa, Topou, young Larry..freakin hanan Laban killed last week with south Newcastle..get him bak in will ya!

cardinal

Juniors
macavity said:
1. huge and productive junior nursery

2. rip taylor

how come hardly any players came through from JF to FG during Hages' tenure...?

Same reason smith is not picking them they are not good enough I guess. Hags knows talent when he sees it and he is giving another young bloke a start tonight. You guys need to bite the bullet and sack Smith he has been a good coach but his time has gone.

Frederick

Staff member
cardinal said:
Same reason smith is not picking them they are not good enough I guess. Hags knows talent when he sees it and he is giving another young bloke a start tonight. You guys need to bite the bullet and sack Smith he has been a good coach but his time has gone.
Oh suuuuuuuure he does...George Carmont, Craig Hall, Justin Ryder, Matt Kennedy, Todd Lowrie, Todd Maddison, Russell Richardson, Steve Witt...does anyone want me to continue?

Burwood

Bench
cardinal said:

Paterson, Seu Seu, Gordon, Mcmanus and Snowden are all guys who played Flegg last, and have had a stint in first grade so far this season. Add Walsh and Uate to that list over the next 2-3 weeks and I think you can see that Smith has given the young guys a shot.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
I wouldn't rule out a rift. Newton never struck me as a workaholic, just simply a toiler who did what had to be done with a bit of heart. He probably struggled under Smith's regime of working hard at training after the years of Hagan. He has heart, but just never got the work ethic into him.

EG, i know he turned up late for a pre-season weekend training camp at Port Stephens this year (along with one other first-grader) and they were both sent home. That's just plain lazy.

A mate of mine used to be team mates with newton. My mate mentioned how he was one of the hardest trainers he has come across. There was an article in league week a few years ago also refering to his impressive training.

I'll be dissapointed to lose newton. He may have a few knock ons in him at this stage of his career, but his runs on the left edge are invaluable.

roopy

Referee
cardinal said:
Oh sorry Mullen is his name
I don't think Mullen played a single game of Flegg for the Knights.
Straight from Ball to PL - and only a dozen or so games of PL before firstgrade.
Dureau and Walsh were the playmakers behind our fantastic efforts in flegg last year - both as good as Mullen on their day.

Alex28

Coach
It is disappointing that one of our players that has been told that he isn't part of the plans of the clubs future couldn't see it as an opportunity to showcase himself for another club and instead took it as an opportunity to leave the club mid-season.

He was a worker but nothing much more than that. He had a passion for the club which we sorely need right now, but even that seems to have disappeared. He wasn't a leader - if he was a real leader he would have stepped up yesterday no matter the circumstances Now he has the distinction of walking out on the club the day after its biggest loss ever.

He probably should have sucked it up and taken it like a man...but we don't need guys in the club who don't want to play for us.

Johns Magic

Referee
Alex28 said:
It is disappointing that one of our players that has been told that he isn't part of the plans of the clubs future couldn't see it as an opportunity to showcase himself for another club and instead took it as an opportunity to leave the club mid-season.

He was a worker but nothing much more than that. He had a passion for the club which we sorely need right now, but even that seems to have disappeared. He wasn't a leader - if he was a real leader he would have stepped up yesterday no matter the circumstances Now he has the distinction of walking out on the club the day after its biggest loss ever.

He probably should have sucked it up and taken it like a man...but we don't need guys in the club who don't want to play for us.

It's hard to have passion for a club that doesn't appreciate you.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Awww man. Not Newton, he was a great clubman and loved the jersey. I hope Smith knows what his doing. He was only 25 and his best footy is yet to come.

Good Luck Newto.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I can't agree with all the Newton love atm. I think he's being extreemly selfish. If he "bled" blue and red, he'd be thinking of fullfilling his commitment to his mates, that he made at the start of the season, instead, he spits the dummy like a petulant child. Why? Because the team he wants to play for have said they don't require his services next year! Well boo hoo! He should have sucked it up and put it into every last hit-up and tackle he made for the rest of the year. He hould have shown what he was made of and stuck it up the arses of those who doubted his ability. Right now though, he's a sook who ran away because he was the first person ever to be told by the club he was playing for, that he wasn't wanted in the future. :roll:

And to know for 2 weeks and then run out for his 100th game, only to quit the day after he contributed to the biggest drubbing in the clubs history, just goes to show how selfish he is!

I'm very disappointed in one C Newton!

Alex28

Coach
Johns Magic said:
It's hard to have passion for a club that doesn't appreciate you.
See...I don't see it that way. Has he been dropped from First Grade this year? I'm fine with the club telling him he is not part of the future plans of the club - it gives him an opportunity to go and get the best deal he can for his future.

Instead he has done the opposite and pissed off. He had a first grade spot for the rest of the year - he hadn't been unfairly dropped to first division no matter what his issues are with Smith.

It is disappointing - but it is more his attitude more than anything.

Johns Magic

Referee
Gene Krupa said:
I can't agree with all the Newton love atm. I think he's being extreemly selfish. If he "bled" blue and red, he'd be thinking of fullfilling his commitment to his mates, that he made at the start of the season, instead, he spits the dummy like a petulant child. Why? Because the team he wants to play for have cut him! Well boo hoo! He should have sucked it up and put it into every last hit-up and tackle he made for the rest of the year. He hould have shown what he was made of and stuck it up the arses of those who doubted his ability. Right now though, he's a sook who ran away because he was the first person ever to be told by the club he was playing for, that he wasn't wanted in the future. :roll:

And to know for 2 weeks and then run out for his 100th game, only to quit the day after he contributed to the biggest drubbing in the clubs history, just goes to show how selfish he is!

I'm very disappointed in one C Newton!

If you played in a team, I doubt you'd see it that way.

Pika

Bench
I am sorry to see him go.

His training ethic in the gym was second to none. Had some great lifting preseason.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Johns Magic said:
If you played in a team, I doubt you'd see it that way.

Ther's no way to convince you other wise but the only one to blame for Clints attitude is Clint and he's a spoilt little brat for doing what he did. As Alex said, he wasn't held back or unfairly dropped.

Johns Magic

Referee
Gene Krupa said:
Ther's no way to convince you other wise but the only one to blame for Clints attitude is Clint and he's a spoilt little brat for doing what he did. As Alex said, he wasn't held back or unfairly dropped.

He wasn't happy at the club, and the club didn't want him.

He left because it was best for both parties.

Latest posts