What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

Y2Eel

First Grade
hineyrulz said:
T Smith impersonation :?

:lol: Do you know what the funniest thing about this all is i remember reading a post on this forum somewhere saying that he will oly last 2 weeks with the year ban.. i gotta find that post...

Just imagine if all this is untrue. Imagine he was just out not having a drink. He could have just been out with his mates. Unless Smith admits to his drinking and the club has clear cut evidence I can't see how anyone can prove it.

I think we should just relax and see what comes out of it 2morrow. I'm sure the Tabloid (telecrap) will try there best to him sacked on the front and back pages.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not wanting to defend Tim too much here (I can't believe it)...But coming from a background with a lot of experience with alcohol abuse...Seriously...Where do some of you get off calling him an idiot or slandering his charcater?

True - he was irresponsible, unprofessional and acted only within his short-minded 'best' interests. But do you people sledging him have any idea whatsoever what it's like to have a substance addiction? Suffice it to say that you rationalise things and know you shouldn't be doing it, but the allure is just so damn strong that you find yourself doing it anyway. He clearly has a problem - if he was doing it deliberately for attention or whatever, I highly doubt he would go to a place littered with League fans and get caught (I also happen to know that the Tolly serves up a beauty of a steak dinner, and that just may have been Tim's intial reason for going there).

Bottom line is the kid has serious problems. I'm not condoning his actions - I am pissed and shattered all at once. But I feel this is a young man in desperate need of guidance and help.

Tim idolises Joey Johns and what a role model he was.
Maybe it's the whole football culture in this country not just league, union and AFL too.
If you have a bloke like Joey in a coaching type role to young kids that look up to him and know what he did in his career then what do you expect to happen.
The NRL/ARL has to take a lot of the blame here, they have none of the drinking and drug taking problems in the game at the elite level for some time and did nothing.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Just imagine if all this is untrue. Imagine he was just out not having a drink. He could have just been out with his mates. Unless Smith admits to his drinking and the club has clear cut evidence I can't see how anyone can prove it.

I think we should just relax and see what comes out of it 2morrow. I'm sure the Tabloid (telecrap) will try there best to him sacked on the front and back pages.

Exactly.

How do we define what's sackable. If he went into a pub sat down and had one beer and then left, do we sack him?

I would rather see the RAP sheet before commenting on how big a dumbf*ck he is. Anyhow, I recon he'll get of on the proviso he didn't abuse anyone or start any trouble. Having said that, he definitely needs help, and the club have an obligation to help!

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/eels-halfback-caught-drinking-despite-ban/2007/12/13/1197135646310.html
Smith's Eels career hangs by a thread
Greg Prichard and Andrew Webster | December 14, 2007

Tim Smith is in grave danger of being sacked by the Eels today after he was reported drunk on the street by a member of the public yesterday morning and had to be tracked down and taken home from the car park of a hotel by a club representative.

The star halfback's latest alcohol-related indiscretion came less than a week after the club banned him from drinking alcohol until the end of next season and fined him $1000 after he was accused of drunkenly abusing a 55-year-old man in the street.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was calm when he spoke to the Herald last night, but is understood to be fuming at Smith. Asked if this was the end for the 22-year-old, Fitzgerald replied: "We will see tomorrow."

Teammates Mark Riddell and Brett Finch last night urged the club not to sack Smith. Riddell said the Eels should stick by him and "help him get back on track".

Parramatta football manager Andrew Hill summoned Smith and his manager, David Riolo, to attend a meeting with Fitzgerald, Eels coach Michael Hagan and Hill. Smith has a history of problems with alcohol and was already attending counselling sessions on the advice of the club.

The Parramatta players attended a Christmas party for more than 70 children and their families at Ronald McDonald House, Westmead, on Wednesday afternoon. The Herald understands that after the function ended, some players, including Smith, went out together.

Smith apparently kept going through the night and was seen, the worse for wear, on the footpath of a North Parramatta street at peak hour by a person who rang the club. Officials then rang other players in an attempt to establish Smith's whereabouts and were advised to try the Tollgate Hotel, also at North Parramatta. One of those officials drove to the hotel, which was not yet open, found Smith and drove him home.

Asked to confirm the sightings of an alcohol-affected Smith, Fitzgerald replied: "I can confirm that we have received reports to that effect."

Smith was believed to be with two other young Parramatta players who are yet to become regular first-graders. Fitzgerald would not confirm or deny that, but said Smith was the only player who had been called to appear before officials at this stage. "We'll look at Tim first and move on from there," Fitzgerald said.

Parramatta players rallied around Smith, claiming he did not have a drinking problem and fearing another club would pick him up if he were sacked.

"I'm not fully aware of what has happened, but the last thing we would want to see is Tim's contract torn up," five-eighth Finch said. "He's popular with all the players and he's an important part of the team.

"I don't think he has a drinking problem. I've had a beer with him plenty of times and there's never been any issue at all."

Hooker Riddell added: "I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure he isn't sacked. Yeah, he might have some issues with the drink, but sacking him would only be a quick fix. I'd be worried that another club would pick him up at half price and that will come back to bite Parra on the backside.

"He's a great guy. He just needs to know his limitations."

Finch was bemused that a member of the public had complained to the club after sighting Smith in the street.

"If someone has called the club and dobbed him in, it's disgusting," Finch said. "People should have a long, hard look at their own issues. What's he done wrong?"

Riddell added: "It's getting a bit silly when a 22-year-old bloke can't have a beer. We've all had our misdemeanours - I've certainly had my own - but he hasn't hurt anyone and he hasn't broken the law."

Eels second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh said the club could ill-afford to lose a player like the former rookie of the year.

"He's a good player and liked by everyone at the club," Hindmarsh said. "We can't afford to lose him."

Fitzgerald said he was "disappointed" at the latest development involving Smith, but wanted to give the player the chance to defend himself before commenting any further.

"We're giving Tim the chance to speak tomorrow," he said.

It is understood the alcohol ban on Smith has not been written into his contract, which might be seen a potential complication in any move to sack him. But, when asked to confirm that all options - including tearing up Smith's contract - were there to be considered by the club, Fitzgerald replied: "That's correct."

Page 1 2Next page

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/eels-halfback-caught-drinking-despite-ban/2007/12/13/1197135646310.html?page=2
Page 2
"I'm not fully aware of what has happened, but the last thing we would want to see is Tim's contract torn up," five-eighth Finch said. "He's popular with all the players and he's an important part of the team.

"I don't think he has a drinking problem. I've had a beer with him plenty of times and there's never been any issue at all."

Hooker Riddell added: "I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure he isn't sacked. Yeah, he might have some issues with the drink, but sacking him would only be a quick fix. I'd be worried that another club would pick him up at half price and that will come back to bite Parra on the backside.

Finch was bemused that a member of the public had complained to the club after sighting Smith in the street.

"If someone has called the club and dobbed him in, it's disgusting," Finch said. "People should have a long, hard look at their own issues. What's he done wrong?"

Riddell added: "It's getting a bit silly when a 22-year-old bloke can't have a beer. We've all had our misdemeanours - I've certainly had my own - but he hasn't hurt anyone and he hasn't broken the law."

Eels second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh said the club could ill-afford to lose a player like the former rookie of the year.

"He's a good player and liked by everyone at the club," Hindmarsh said. "We can't afford to lose him."

Fitzgerald said he was "disappointed" at the latest development involving Smith, but wanted to give the player the chance to defend himself before commenting any further.

It is understood the alcohol ban on Smith has not been written into his contract, which might be seen a potential complication in any move to sack him. But, when asked to confirm that all options - including tearing up Smith's contract - were there to be considered by the club, Fitzgerald replied: "That's correct."

mickdo

Coach

I agree 100% with Piggy. When he gets caught drink driving or bashing someone then throw the book at him, but until then this is simply not sackable stuff, especially given this...

It is understood the alcohol ban on Smith has not been written into his contract, which might be seen a potential complication in any move to sack him.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
parra-matters said:
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/eels-halfback-caught-drinking-despite-ban/2007/12/13/1197135646310.html
Smith's Eels career hangs by a thread
Greg Prichard and Andrew Webster | December 14, 2007

Tim Smith is in grave danger of being sacked by the Eels today after he was reported drunk on the street by a member of the public yesterday morning and had to be tracked down and taken home from the car park of a hotel by a club representative.

The star halfback's latest alcohol-related indiscretion came less than a week after the club banned him from drinking alcohol until the end of next season and fined him $1000 after he was accused of drunkenly abusing a 55-year-old man in the street.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was calm when he spoke to the Herald last night, but is understood to be fuming at Smith. Asked if this was the end for the 22-year-old, Fitzgerald replied: "We will see tomorrow."

Teammates Mark Riddell and Brett Finch last night urged the club not to sack Smith. Riddell said the Eels should stick by him and "help him get back on track".

Parramatta football manager Andrew Hill summoned Smith and his manager, David Riolo, to attend a meeting with Fitzgerald, Eels coach Michael Hagan and Hill. Smith has a history of problems with alcohol and was already attending counselling sessions on the advice of the club.

The Parramatta players attended a Christmas party for more than 70 children and their families at Ronald McDonald House, Westmead, on Wednesday afternoon. The Herald understands that after the function ended, some players, including Smith, went out together.

Smith apparently kept going through the night and was seen, the worse for wear, on the footpath of a North Parramatta street at peak hour by a person who rang the club. Officials then rang other players in an attempt to establish Smith's whereabouts and were advised to try the Tollgate Hotel, also at North Parramatta. One of those officials drove to the hotel, which was not yet open, found Smith and drove him home.

Asked to confirm the sightings of an alcohol-affected Smith, Fitzgerald replied: "I can confirm that we have received reports to that effect."

Smith was believed to be with two other young Parramatta players who are yet to become regular first-graders. Fitzgerald would not confirm or deny that, but said Smith was the only player who had been called to appear before officials at this stage. "We'll look at Tim first and move on from there," Fitzgerald said.

Parramatta players rallied around Smith, claiming he did not have a drinking problem and fearing another club would pick him up if he were sacked.

Page 1 2Next page

Has he broken the law? NO
Has he hurt anyone? NO
Does he deserved to be sacked? Maybe, just depends on what the arrangements were when Timmy was reprimanded last time. I'll say he's sweet!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Finch "I've had a beer with him plenty of times and theres been no problem"

I thought Timmy was on an alcohol ban this year :?

Stagger eel

Staff member
the situatuation with the contract appears to be interesting...I just can't see where there's a winner out of this one and I still think the invetible will happen tomorrow.

Stagger eel

Staff member
hineyrulz said:
Finch "I've had a beer with him plenty of times and theres been no problem"

I thought Timmy was on an alcohol ban this year :?

the ban only applied during the football season...

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hooker Riddell added: "I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure he isn't sacked. Yeah, he might have some issues with the drink, but sacking him would only be a quick fix

mickdo said:
I agree 100% with Piggy. When he gets caught drink driving or bashing someone then throw the book at him, but until then this is simply not sackable stuff, especially given this...

:?

there is an opportunity for the club, his parents, his close friends , whoever, to do something about his drinking NOW. forget footy.

lets not wait till a drink driving event where potentially he could kill himslef or worse an innocent bystander

GizLoki

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Not wanting to defend Tim too much here (I can't believe it)...But coming from a background with a lot of experience with alcohol abuse...Seriously...Where do some of you get off calling him an idiot or slandering his charcater?

True - he was irresponsible, unprofessional and acted only within his short-minded 'best' interests. But do you people sledging him have any idea whatsoever what it's like to have a substance addiction? Suffice it to say that you rationalise things and know you shouldn't be doing it, but the allure is just so damn strong that you find yourself doing it anyway. He clearly has a problem - if he was doing it deliberately for attention or whatever, I highly doubt he would go to a place littered with League fans and get caught (I also happen to know that the Tolly serves up a beauty of a steak dinner, and that just may have been Tim's intial reason for going there).

Bottom line is the kid has serious problems. I'm not condoning his actions - I am pissed and shattered all at once. But I feel this is a young man in desperate need of guidance and help.

Eelementary great read. Sounds like counselling sessions haven't been enough for him, I think he needs to get into a rehab centre and dry out and work out why he turns to the drink. In another thread Hagan was quoted as saying (regarding the first incident this week) that Timmy's been frustrated to not be doing full contact training (and seemed to imply that he was saying that's why he's turned to the drink). That just screams PROBLEM to me.

Having said that though - there seems to be some inconsistencies with what's being reported, so I'll wait for the official line from the club tomorrow. Gee I hope this is a beat up. BUT, even if this latest incident is a beat up, I still want to see Timmy taken somewhere to dry out.

Oh and I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in about "Tim" or "Timmy". My other half is known as name"Y" (hope that makes sense) - and its more of a nickname than referring to him as being a child. It works on some people (with some names) and I guess it doesn't with others. I personally like Timmy. And if others dont (and want to call him Tim or even Timothy) then that's cool too of course.

Latest posts