What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Not held"?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Oh, plenty of time, absolutely. I'm just not convinced it was the match-defining call, esp when the Wazzas had a lot more ball in the first half.

I'd say a possible momentum changer (for all we know the Dragons score in that set without that call), but there were plenty of opportunities for the Warriors to change it back (via generous ref calls in their favour or Dragons errors) and they simply didn't take the opportunity.

Has always been my biggest criticism of Cleary as a coach. The Warriors have always lacked a killer instinct under him. Seen them get out to 6-12 point leads often and either get clawed back and just lose or clawed back and just win. They rarely kick on, and it becomes especially noticeable in games like this when the opposition do everything within their power to hand it to them early on.

hitman82

Bench
I'd say a possible momentum changer (for all we know the Dragons score in that set without that call), but there were plenty of opportunities for the Warriors to change it back (via generous ref calls in their favour or Dragons errors) and they simply didn't take the opportunity.

Has always been my biggest criticism of Cleary as a coach. The Warriors have always lacked a killer instinct under him. Seen them get out to 6-12 point leads often and either get clawed back and just lose or clawed back and just win. They rarely kick on, and it becomes especially noticeable in games like this when the opposition do everything within their power to hand it to them early on.

Hard. As soon as we got the early lead I expected the Dragons to come back and get us. Even against terrible teams we've rarely piled on the points like we should have. Killer instinct is something we sorely lack. Not to mention line speed, fringe defense and aggression...
Without these we are going to get crushed in week 1 of the finals series.

Fingerbang

Bench
You obviously have no doubt at all on the Dugan grounding. That is fair enough.....you entitled to have an opinion on it. Just that plenty of others feel it should have been referred to the video ref, to be sure.

I wasn't whinging about the call when it happened, just as I wouldn't be whinging about yesterday's call if it went against my team. Which is the point I was trying to make to Fast Eddie.

Sh!t happens....we get over it and live to fight another day.

silverfox

Juniors
the ref's are taking too long to call held now. Dragons have had similar tries scored against them when they should of been called held - the titans and the tigers. This is why these illegal tackles are being produced from melbourne. The ref's called held sooner and there is no need for the wrestling bullshit to continue.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I agree. While we certainly were the beneficiaries on this occasion (and against the Dogs earlier this year), overall it is not good for the game.

hitman82

Bench
Just a thought - the new rule returning the ball to a player who offloads as/just after "held" is called - does this lead to more offloads later in upright, "stationary" tackles, as the player is no longer risking being penalised?

Seems so - and defenders should be more aware of this.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just a thought - the new rule returning the ball to a player who offloads as/just after "held" is called - does this lead to more offloads later in upright, "stationary" tackles, as the player is no longer risking being penalised?

Seems so - and defenders should be more aware of this.

The rule still isn't being policed right, I'd say players are still gun-shy. Berrigan was penalised for simultaneous offload to held call in our home match v Storm. Unbelievable.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
One of these went against us in the Gold Coast match when they were on our line and the dummy half started to even push away the tacklers. Our players started coming off slowly and then the tackled player offloaded the ball to the dummy half who scored - was worse then this one I thought as their dummy half was actually pushing off the tackled players.

TheDMC

Bench
I was at the game, supporting the Warriors.

Yes the ref should've called held, but that did not cost us a try. We simply did not play to the whistle, that did cost us the try.
Earlier in the season we scored a try when all players thought a tackle had been completed except the ball player (Taylor by memory) who then ambled on to the line. That was comical. Yesterday was not.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're absolutely kidding yourself that if yesterday the Dragons lost that one in a close one with that non held try being a Warriors try that there wouldn't have been Dragons fans on here going on about it.
Well not from me Eddie. But by all means feel free to channel the thoughts of others.
Fast Eddie said:
Btw it was a 6-6 all penalty count.
It evened up eventually. It was 5-1 well into the match. I almost fell off my chair when we got a second penalty.

carcharias

Immortal
both teams first try's were dubious...I reckon the warriors one looked worse.
The dude was on the ground with 3 blokes holding him when he passed it.

hitman82

Bench
Moon's elbows hadn't hit the ground and he flicked it as he went down. Not after he'd been lying there for 5 seconds.

carcharias

Immortal
passing off the ground IMO should not be allowed...the dude was going nowhere.
He was basically on his back being held by 3 blokes.

Latest posts