What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Gower's being accused of sexual harrassment

ng_1981

Juniors
KFC said:
Great post ng_1981 you make some very good points but I'm curious as to why you weren't surprised?

BTW I don't feel this incident reflects badly on the Penrith Club, Gower is his own man.

Nothing surprsies me these days when it comes to footballers, you would think that one incident would be enough to make them all learn, but it seems nothing does. Plus I have heard things, most of it probably rumour, but I sometimes wonder...like I said...nothing surprises me much these days.

How badly this incident will reflect on the club will be revealed when they hand down their punishment, if any, IMO. Depending on what the investigation has found and how they deal with it will reflect directly on the club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
ng_1981 said:
How badly this incident will reflect on the club will be revealed when they hand down their punishment, if any, IMO. Depending on what the investigation has found and how they deal with it will reflect directly on the club.

Only because he's a League player

After Brisbane Lions players were sent home by customs for rowdy behaviour on a flight they received no punishment. The media chose to ignore the matter too which helped.

Chook

First Grade
Considering Gower apologised after the club's investigation had concluded makes me feel there is more to this than mere allegations, and that Gower's "I'll sue for saying I was drunk" threat was an attempt to quell the growing furore. Dawn Fraser's comments also weigh heavily against Gower. And in the public (media) domain, Dawn's words mean a lot more than an NRL footballer, especially one with a sordid past as Gower has.

Penrith had better do something significant or bury this so deep not even my sister in law, who's a mole, could discover it.

Chook.

The Colonel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
Only because he's a League player

After Brisbane Lions players were sent home by customs for rowdy behaviour on a flight they received no punishment. The media chose to ignore the matter too which helped.

Which makes it all the more important that the NRL are seen to be punishing this type of behaviour harshly.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Which makes it all the more important that the NRL are seen to be punishing this type of behaviour harshly.

If Gower had been an AFL player this would never of even made the news.

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the contra of the last AFL deal was for the media to highlight incidents in other codes.

The Colonel

Immortal
Pearce accepts Gower apology
By Laine Clark
December 29, 2005

RUGBY league legend Wayne Pearce says he has accepted Craig Gower's "unreserved" apology after allegations of drunken behaviour by the Penrith captain at a Sunshine Coast charity event.

Pearce also ruled out taking any action against Gower, who was accused of groping the Balmain great's 17-year-old daughter Tatum at last week's Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic after-party.

Gower was also accused of chasing Pearce's 16-year-old son Mitchell with a bottle at the Classic held at Twin Waters Resort.

The Australia halfback yesterday broke his silence, "unreservedly" apologising to Pearce's family as his NRL club Penrith prepared to decide his immediate future.

The Penrith board is expected to meet "in the next week" to decide whether to penalise Gower after Panthers football manager Mick Leary today handed his report on the allegations to chairman Barry Walsh.

Pearce had also kept a low profile since the allegations emerged but today said he was satisfied with Gower's apology.

"I accept his apology and that is all I am saying basically," he said.

Asked if he would take the matter further, Pearce said: "No.

"I've got no comment on anything else and that has been my stance all along so I am not starting now.

"The only people I have spoken to are Penrith and that's it."

After Leary tabled his report on Gower this morning, a Panthers spokesman said Walsh would call a board meeting "as soon as possible" to decide Gower's fate.

"No statements will be made until after that meeting," the spokesman said in a statement.

Gower was also alleged to have had arguments with several guests, damaged a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality and walked naked around the Twin Waters Resort.

Gower yesterday finally responded to the allegations with a one sentence statement.

"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort, I unreservedly apologise," he said.

Leary said Walsh would call a meeting as soon as all nine board members could be located.

But in an encouraging sign for Gower, Leary predicted the matter to be dealt with swiftly.

"Hopefully the meeting will be held in the next week so we can all move on," Leary said.

"I've got full confidence in the board to decide the matter very quickly.

"Barry's got to get into contact with all the board members who are on holiday and all around the place - we don't know what they are doing."

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews said Gower could be fined up to a quarter of his annual salary - around $100,000 - if allegations were proven correct.

Matthews said Gower would be called before the board if the hierarchy believed the halfback had a "case to answer".

Leary and operations chief Peter Mulholland completed the investigation after visiting the Maroochydore resort that hosted the event and holding interviews with event guests including Dawn Fraser.

The swimming great claimed she had consoled Tatum and witnessed Gower chasing Mitchell around a table at the after-party. Fraser yesterday said Gower's apology was "not good enough".

AAP
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17683523-23214,00.html

The Colonel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
If Gower had been an AFL player this would never of even made the news.

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the contra of the last AFL deal was for the media to highlight incidents in other codes.

Just because the AFL do it doesn't mean the NRL should sweep it under the carpet.....

El Diablo

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Just because the AFL do it doesn't mean the NRL should sweep it under the carpet.....

I'm not trying to say that. The media and their covering up for AFL players just sickens me.

innsaneink

Referee
What about the fans Craig....dont they deserve an apology too?
They do after all pay your way.

I'm overwhelmed by the sincerity of it all...I really am.

cainen

Juniors
The Colonel said:
The swimming great claimed she had consoled Tatum and witnessed Gower chasing Mitchell around a table at the after-party. Fraser yesterday said Gower's apology was "not good enough".

Geeze she sh*ts me. She's the one that told him (via the media) to apologise in the first place.

The Colonel

Immortal
cainen said:
Geeze she sh*ts me. She's the one that told him (via the media) to apologise in the first place.

I'm not trying to guess her meaning but I'm assuming she is saying that he deserves some sort of punishment despite the apology.

cainen

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I'm not trying to guess her meaning but I'm assuming she is saying that he deserves some sort of punishment despite the apology.

On channel nine it said she refused to accept his apology. Possibly another beat up.

brook

First Grade
or perhaps she thought the apology was a little insincere - he did manage to apologise without actually admitting any wrongdoing after all.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Chook said:
You still think it's funny laughing boy? Penrith Club Captain Craig "Groper" Gower has "unreservedly apologised" for his actions, do you still think they are funny jim?

Chook.

No... I think you're funny.

I think you're f*cking hillarious as a matter of fact. :lol:

You look at any snippets of info that effects Penrith negatively as a Leagues Club like a starving dog looks at a piece of meat.

I'm sure if Craig Fitzgibbon was involved in the same scandal you wouldn't be so quick to judge or bay for his blood, would you now? :-k

Pantherjim.

Referee
innsaneink said:
Yeah...I know the woulds and shoulds, what will likely happen is not probably what should happen....but I think if he is guilty of this he should cop at least a crim record of it.

I wonder if you'd be so quick to be judge jury and executioner if Scott Prince or Benji Marshall were involved in a scandal with similar circumstances.:-k

innsaneink

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
I wonder if you'd be so quick to be judge jury and executioner if Scott Prince or Benji Marshall were involved in a scandal with similar circumstances.:-k

...and I wonder if youd be so quick to have a go at me if we were talking about a Roosters, Eels or Storm player in a scandal with similar circumstances.

BTW...I would, but the fact is Pantherjim...its the Panthers captain...not Marshall or Prince. Funny that.

Hypocrite.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Well it's quite obvious from the fact that gower even had to apologise that his gone and done something boofheadish and I can't begin to express how dissapointed I am at the moment.

Panthers is a big part of the identity of the Penrith community as such gower isn't just the public face of the league's team his the public face of the community as a whole. Personally I don't want someone representing my community if he can't control himself after his had a few drinks.

Stripping him of the captincy seems like apt starting point for punishment this stage, beyond that I'm not quite sure. It depends on the exact nature of the harrasment.

Having said all that Dawn Fraser irks me. Fine she is a friend of the Pearce family to me that doesn't give her the right to go on TV and use her status to push her own opinion of what should or shouldn't happen.

Pantherjim.

Referee
innsaneink said:
...and I wonder if youd be so quick to have a go at me if we were talking about a Roosters, Eels or Storm player in a scandal with similar circumstances.

Actually... Yeah, I would...

NOTHING has been proven yet, so I don't know why try hards like you are suddenly such experts on what punishment is appropriate for Gowie.

innsaneink said:
BTW...I would, but the fact is Pantherjim...its the Panthers captain...not Marshall or Prince. Funny that.

Hypocrite.

I severely doubt you would. You'd be defending them left right and centre.

How am I a Hypocrite??

I haven't heard a shred of credible evidence to suggest that Craig Gower is guilty of the aforementioned accusations... and remember insaneink.... they are just that until proof has been made and/or Gowie has admitted guilt.

If it were a player from any other team I'd be of the same opinion.

Latest posts