What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and AFL go head to head in Sydney's west on Saturday night

Teddyboy

First Grade
God i don't see how AFL can be a rival to Rugby League as there are no opportunities in Aussie Rules to score tries so it's not a rival then say Union is to League.

parano1a

Juniors
If you Victorians REALLY want co-operation with our code:

• Give the same coverage of League in Melbourne papers as AR gets in Sydney and Brisbane.
  • Gag Pat Smith and any other media genius that will slander League at every other opportunity.
  • Tune in and cheer on the Kangaroos when they play internationals.
  • Stop Channel 10 from opening every night with a story from the AFL about some knobs 50th grade game ahead of a major League story like Origin selection, a major signing or major retirement.
  • Drop the anti RL agenda from The Outsiders.
  • Give equal coverage to your mischief makers as ours get.
  • Get the GWS f*ckwits to stop treating Western Sydney as a sporting void, and acknowledge the fantastic work done by League, Soccer and Netball in leading the way with sport in the area, and finally
You realise the average Victorian sports fan has no control about any of the above things? Why blame the Victorian public for not watching International RL when they have no opportunity to? (Nine airs the games between 1-5am if at all). Plus despite what you may think AFL scandals get more coverage than NRL ones in Melbourne. Already this year the Geelong premiership player Matthew Stokes has been charged with drug dealing and star St Kilda recruit Andrew Lovett charged with rape then sacked by the club. These two stories have dominated evening news and the front pages more than any NRL story.

Last edited:

Big R

Juniors
LOL. And when Parra plays anyone but the Storm?

We have our own fantastic ground thanks. We do not need to do a deal with the enemy.

Imagine suggesting such a deal for Etihad. The AR people would be up in arms and bag off League at every opportunity.

Face it, the GWS is a failure waiting to happen - they don't even play anywhere near the place they are marketing to! Both Parra and Penrith Stadiums are FAR closer to Blacktown than ANZ!

Besides, Western Sydney doesn't need tourism - it's not the North Coast. Anyway, Parra would get a far bigger crowd playing a Sydney side, Newy or Brisbane than Melbourne. It's bad enough that head in the sand Sheedy wants to muscle in on the Dogs and Bunnies home turf than having some stupid idea of getting Parra to help them.

If you Victorians REALLY want co-operation with our code:

• Learn who Nathan Hindmarsh is.
  • Give the same coverage of League in Melbourne papers as AR gets in Sydney and Brisbane.
  • Gag Pat Smith and any other media genius that will slander League at every other opportunity.
  • Learn the meaning of the term "Rugby".
  • Admit that League players are fitter (reference - recent Australia's greatest sportsman comp won by Slater, and the AFL v NRL boxing match a few year ago when AFL players lost every bout, including a first round knock out by Meninga on Jacko).
  • Tune in and cheer on the Kangaroos when they play internationals.
  • Congratulate us on getting more viewers for our GF that you did for yours.
  • Stop Channel 10 from opening every night with a story from the AFL about some knobs 50th grade game ahead of a major League story like Origin selection, a major signing or major retirement.
  • Drop the anti RL agenda from The Outsiders.
  • Give equal coverage to your mischief makers as ours get.
  • Get the GWS f*ckwits to stop treating Western Sydney as a sporting void, and acknowledge the fantastic work done by League, Soccer and Netball in leading the way with sport in the area, and finally
  • Admit that the likes of Ian Thorpe, Harry Kewell and Ray Price became sporting superstars from Western Sydney long before your arrogant sport from the dumb side of the Murray knew it existed!

Funny how you associate all Victorians with such resentment. I thought AFL was your enemy?? Some AFL people I know resent league, but they never slander New South Welshman and Queenslanders. The slander NRL. You should stick to bagging the AFL. BTW many people down here believe GWS will fail. People are more confident with the Gold Coast team though.

* lots of AFL supporters know who Nathan Hindmarsh is. Because Kevin Sheedy didn't (because he speaks for everyone in Victoria, we all mustn't know). Besides when Kevin Sheedy got picked as GWS head coach, how many of you on here were bragging how you have never heard of him. Same thing.

* AFL hasn't had that much exposure in NSW and OLD papers until all this GWS and K Hunt business. If Rugby gets someone from AFL to switch or introduces a new Melbourne team, then NRL will get plenty in the papers.

* How many NRL Journalists depise AFL? Plenty! Two way street here.

* Victorians didn't know much about Rugby around a decade ago, but that is changing with PayTv, the Melbourne storm, Melbourne Rebels and sport betting.

* haha Ok ok, league players are fitter. They are the best in the whole world. Feel better?

* No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here, just like you don't care about AFL international rules against Ireland up there. State of Origin though is quite popular even though it is NSW vs OLD

* Congratulations

* Channel 9 opens with league stories over AFL. Channel 9 news always gives preference to cricket news. Channel 10 has the rights to show AFL and hence make a lot of there money from it. Why can't they lead with stories that favor their product, like channel 9 does with their products. You're not a business man are you?

* never seen The Outsiders, so won't comment.

* Ok, AFL mischievous makers do get covered up, but that is more the AFL covering them up over the media. The media would love to print some stories that can never make it. Why should they give up players to protect their brand. Maybe you should be telling the NRL to start covering theirs up better.

* That's a good point. I think it is unfair that Western Sydney is portrayed as that way by GWS

* 3 people from Western Sydney became superstars. You serious? WTF has that got to do with anything?

Shire Panther

Juniors
No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here, just like you don't care about AFL international rules against Ireland up there.
Well there you go you learn something new every day, I didnt know that there was an afl test series vs Ireland I always thought afl was only played and supported by the minor states in Australia I had no idea it was played in Ireland.

Loudstrat

Coach
You realise the average Victorian sports fan has no control about any of the above things? Why blame the Victorian public for not watching International RL when they have no opportunity to? (Nine airs the games between 1-5am if at all). Plus despite what you may think AFL scandals get more coverage than NRL ones in Melbourne. Already this year the Geelong premiership player Matthew Stokes has been charged with drug dealing and star St Kilda recruit Andrew Lovett charged with rape then sacked by the club. These two stories have dominated evening news and the front pages more than any NRL story.

Fair call. But.....

One of their leading coaches has never heard of our (arguably) most popular player - backed up by a poster whith AFL allegiences.

Our legends and heroes since the likes of Messenger, Deane and Holloway have some in droves. The household League names on the east coast probably exceed that of any other sport. To think of the service that they have had playing for Australia, and yet Brown, Raper, Langlands, Churchill, Fulton or Kenny are names that mean zip in AFL land.

I'll never forget a mates comment in the late 1980's. He was working for Channel 7 in Adelaide at the time. There was a charity motor race - a prelude to Formula 1 I think. Many of the big named celebrities of the time raced (from memory the likes of Jimmy Barnes, Daryl Somers etc). The winner was Wally Lewis, captain of Australia and beer can baron of Lang Park. The response around the Channel 7 news room was "Who the f*ck is Wally Lewis?"

Total bloody ignorance and a disgrace to their country.

rabbs

Juniors
AFL is not played in Ireland,the game is played by different rules and a round ball,and you still get points for missing

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Funny how you associate all Victorians with such resentment. I thought AFL was your enemy?? Some AFL people I know resent league, but they never slander New South Welshman and Queenslanders. The slander NRL. You should stick to bagging the AFL. BTW many people down here believe GWS will fail. People are more confident with the Gold Coast team though.

* lots of AFL supporters know who Nathan Hindmarsh is. Because Kevin Sheedy didn't (because he speaks for everyone in Victoria, we all mustn't know). Besides when Kevin Sheedy got picked as GWS head coach, how many of you on here were bragging how you have never heard of him. Same thing.

* AFL hasn't had that much exposure in NSW and OLD papers until all this GWS and K Hunt business. If Rugby gets someone from AFL to switch or introduces a new Melbourne team, then NRL will get plenty in the papers.

* Victorians didn't know much about Rugby around a decade ago, but that is changing with PayTv, the Melbourne storm, Melbourne Rebels and sport betting.

* haha Ok ok, league players are fitter. They are the best in the whole world. Feel better?

* No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here, just like you don't care about AFL international rules against Ireland up there. State of Origin though is quite popular even though it is NSW vs OLD

* Congratulations

* Channel 9 opens with league stories over AFL. Channel 9 news always gives preference to cricket news. Channel 10 has the rights to show AFL and hence make a lot of there money from it. Why can't they lead with stories that favor their product, like channel 9 does with their products. You're not a business man are you?

* Ok, AFL mischievous makers do get covered up, but that is more the AFL covering them up over the media. The media would love to print some stories that can never make it. Why should they give up players to protect their brand. Maybe you should be telling the NRL to start covering theirs up better.

* That's a good point. I think it is unfair that Western Sydney is portrayed as that way by GWS

* 3 people from Western Sydney became superstars. You serious? WTF has that got to do with anything?

I won't get into the debate with all your other points between you and Loudstrat, but please don't insult our intelligence by even comparing a sport that needs to create a bastardised hybird of itself in a desparate attempt to look "international" vs Rugby League that has been playing major internationals for over 100 years and just announced a 14-nation World Cup (and the 14th Rugby League World Cup touunament since 1954) with qualifiers added for the remaining 2 places (and with all the other countries actually playing the same game and using the same rule book and even the same shaped ball as the Kangaroos do!).

Shire Panther

Juniors
AFL is not played in Ireland,the game is played by different rules and a round ball,and you still get points for missing
Well it sure sounds like afl apart from the round ball, If this is the case how come all these afl wankers carry on about afl being the "indigenous" game? It's as indigenous as Pizza or hot dogs.
Where does this stupid game even come from? A guy at work said it evolved from Rugby and was played by cricketers to keep fit in the off season.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Funny how you associate all Victorians with such resentment. I thought AFL was your enemy??

It is, and Fumbleball comes from Victoria and it's the Victorians who are shoving this pathetic game down our throats.

You don't get many NSW/QLD people doing this, it's the Victorians that move here thinking they are king sh*t.

Some AFL people I know resent league,

Some? :lol:

You post at Bigfooty, put a search in for Rugby and have a read.

but they never slander New South Welshman and Queenslanders.

bullsh*t, they give as good as they take, they can't stand the so called "NON FOOTY STATES" and those who reside in them.

The slander NRL. You should stick to bagging the AFL. BTW many people down here believe GWS will fail.

Welcome to the real world.

People are more confident with the Gold Coast team though.

GC spate out the Bears before didn't they?

The only support for Fumbleball up there is expats from Victoriania.

lots of AFL supporters know who Nathan Hindmarsh is.

bullsh*t.

Because Kevin Sheedy didn't (because he speaks for everyone in Victoria, we all mustn't know).

He knows who he is, he was being a smartarse and that's what pissed people off.

Besides when Kevin Sheedy got picked as GWS head coach, how many of you on here were bragging how you have never heard of him. Same thing.

We knew who he was, he and all the other dickheads involved in AFL are plastered all over our TV's, Radio and Newspapers every damn day.

AFL hasn't had that much exposure in NSW and OLD papers until all this GWS and K Hunt business.

What? :lol:

You mean those live games on TV every week for 30+ years is an illusion?

I suppose the SMH and Dailyterror only just put AwFuL on their sites since the cutie signed up?

If Rugby gets someone from AFL to switch or introduces a new Melbourne team, then NRL will get plenty in the papers.

Ummm, who from Boggerball has switched to RL and more importantly, who has switched to the Storm?

Yeah, RL gets heaps of stories in the Vic newspapers, it's overflowing.

How many NRL Journalists depise AFL? Plenty! Two way street here.

Not many, most of our reporters are "sports" reporters, we don't have that many dedicated RL reporters, nothing like the AFL.

I've never heard a RL reporter say he could get an NRL team together in a week and beat the ALL Australian side at Fumbleball, but I've read where AFL reporters have said they could get a fumbleball team together and beat the QLD SOO side.

Victorians didn't know much about Rugby around a decade ago

You don't say.

but that is changing with PayTv, the Melbourne storm, Melbourne Rebels and sport betting.

Oh, well that's ok then, better late to the party than not getting there at all huh?

haha Ok ok, league players are fitter. They are the best in the whole world.

Yep, bout time you fumblers admitted it.

Feel better?

Sure do.

Cheers.

No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here

Unpatriotic Victorians.

just like you don't care about AFL international rules against Ireland up there

The AFL plays Internationals now huh?

Wow Ireland plays AFL now, well done, only took 150 years aye.

State of Origin though is quite popular even though it is NSW vs OLD

Bandwagon anyone?

Channel 9 opens with league stories over AFL.

Ch9 has the rights to Rugby League.

Do they have the rights to fumbleball?

Channel 9 news always gives preference to cricket news.

So they should, it's our National sport and Ch9 has the rights to it.

Channel 10 has the rights to show AFL and hence make a lot of there money from it.

Not in NSW and QLD they don't :lol:

Why can't they lead with stories that favor their product, like channel 9 does with their products.

Weren't you just complaining about Ch9?

You're not a business man are you?

Are you?

Does ch 10 make a motza from the Swans on a Saturday night in Sydney?

How bout the Lions in QLD?

Managed to out rate the Iron chef yet?

never seen The Outsiders, so won't comment.

Well you're not a true fumbler then are you.

Ok, AFL mischievous makers do get covered up, but that is more the AFL covering them up over the media.

bullsh*t, the AFL has the media in their pockets.

No one down their has the balls to go against the mighty AFL for fear of being frozen out.

And the reason they fear being frozen out is because no other sports get a look in at any time outside of the Aussie open and some Cricket, if you turn on the AFL, you may as well move to NSW because your job will be over.

The media would love to print some stories that can never make it.

As above.

They aren't true journalists then are they?

Why should they give up players to protect their brand. Maybe you should be telling the NRL to start covering theirs up better.

Hahahaha, so you condone hush money and other sh*t?

That's a good point. I think it is unfair that Western Sydney is portrayed as that way by GWS

You talk some sense at last.

3 people from Western Sydney became superstars.

Plenty more than 3 dopey.

You serious? WTF has that got to do with anything?

Sydney has been open to all sports for 100 years, AFL and Victoria is a closed shop, the media protect the AFL because it's their jobs on the line.

The AFL is sh*t scared of any sport getting a look in down there, yet they think they can come into other states where their sport is a pimple and dominate like they do down south.

Not going to happen.

Last edited:
Fumbleball was played under Sheffield School rules originally so it was a Private English School game that the Victorians try to now claim is "indigenous". Some Victorians even try to claim the game was based on an Aboriginal game, which is an out and out lie. Virtually all the rules of RL were developed in Australia, the game's been played here for over a century and we have a proper national team that represents Australia in proper international competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't get this jibe at "expats". Who gives a frick where they come from if they suppport the game? I am sure out of the 15,000+ at the Perth games 10,000+ of them would be expat Kiwis, Q'landers, NSW welshmen and northern Poms. Who cares as long as there is enough to support the club?

Western_Eel

Juniors
* No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here, just like you don't care about AFL international rules against Ireland up there.
Funny, Never knew AFL was played over seas and the 36k that went to the england v Australia game in Melbourne and the 160k that watched it delayed at 830pm, and the 300k in Melbourne that watched the final i think would like our international game, i wonder how many would turn up for AFL Australia v Ireland game in Sydney? id say 20k with about 50k max watch it on TV, id say our international game is more healthier than the AFL's

Loudstrat

Coach
We don't get the AFL arrogance from SA or WA, or even the Swans. It comes from one place. Victoria.

* lots of AFL supporters know who Nathan Hindmarsh is. Because Kevin Sheedy didn't (because he speaks for everyone in Victoria, we all mustn't know).
Well it smacks of AFL arrogance then, doesn't it. Either they know who he is (therefore are grossly arrogant to say that) or they don't (and are therefore grossly ignorant). I won't argue over which one they are.

Besides when Kevin Sheedy got picked as GWS head coach, how many of you on here were bragging how you have never heard of him. Same thing.
How many of us are setting up a major sporting enterprise in foreign territory???? Know your market Kevin. League exists in a big way.

He reckons he's mates with Wayne Bennet - that being the case he'd have to have been exposed to Hindy's name as a high profile player.

There ya go. If Gary Ablet Jnr suddenly played Union, how the hell would that give League exposure? See my fourth point!

Besides, AFL gets plenty of exposure up here. The News Ltd and Fairfax presses have at least one ALF article per day, sometimes a double spread. Sydney pollies are all over the Swans. AFL get a fair go in Sydney and Brisbane. Unlike League in Melbourne. I still remember my visit one weekend in 2003. The weekend sports report on Sunday night news. 10mins of AFL, including a piece about North Melbourne's plane landing from Sydney. And 6 seconds of League. They flashed up the weekends scores, and the voice over was "In the NRL, winners were Brisbane, Manly and the Roosters."

Tell me that's even. If it's changed dramatically since then, your point may be valid, but I'd like some evidence.

Name one. Only one.

Again, refer to point 4. Melbourne Storm are not a "Rugby" team. Obviously not much is changing.

Yes, cheers. Quite clearly the fittest of the 5 football codes, although Soccer may have equally low BFI's as they are skinny body types anyway. Union are fat, and NFL defensive players sometimes can double as Pavarotti.
You international rules is a completely different game - it doesn't even get the same cred as the NAB Cup in AFL states.

Yet, to deny your national side just because it plays League is a typical example of the classic Victorian attitude. Yes, Victorian, because quite clearly you state that No one gives a sh*t about Kangeroo games down here. The third oldest national side behind Cricket and Union, and the national uniform that has had more blood spilled in it than the next two combined.

Rorkes Drift, Blinkhorne's record, the infamous 'no try' in the drawn test in 29, the Battle of Brisbane, the Battle of Leeds, Ron Roberts Ashes winning try, the Les Chantileers in 1952, the Swinton massacre, the Invincibles, Henderson Gills bum wobble, the classic Old Trafford test in 1990, the infamous Dowling-Tamati brawl, Olsen Filipaina destroying Wally Lewis, the Kiwis in the 05 Tri Nations, Mason attacking the Haka and Kidwell's response, Morley's send off and last years dramatic World Cup Final.

For a century Victorian arrogance turned it's back on some of the classic moments of Australian Sport. These men played for their country which includes YOU - and you can't even spell the name right for f*cks sake!

* Congratulations
Thank you.

The business of the media is to report news - not invent it.

Fair enough. Check the threads here on it for an insight.

Rubbish. The Melbourne sports media is all over League tut tutting at poor behaviour and acting like saints. Case in point - last years brawl in Origin 3. The Melbourne media response was "AFL is safer for kiddies to play than that brawling sport". Even Dimetriou commented. Don't recall him saying much when Barry Hall had one punch though.

The fact that GWS is acting as though no sport exists here - that they think all they have to do is turn up and suddenly they'll average 60k. The west is a sporting powerhouse with a proud sporting heritage - all ignored by AFL.

Jankuloski

Juniors
No one caught that someone actually believes that AFL players could just switch from AFL to union? The only thing these players can do is run.. and then run some more. You'd need at least a year of training to turn someone from AFL to an actual athlete.

And if they really claimed that an AFL team could beat Qld SOO - why hasn't anyone taken them up on that?? I'd love to see Inglis make minsed meat out of people. Hell, even Johnathan Thurston could pull a Moi Moi in that game!

Teddyboy

First Grade
Why doesn't Victoria,S.A. and West Australia do a swap with New Zealand and just move over there and NZ move over in the southern states.

gallagher

Juniors

They dont give points for missing in Gaelic football. gaelic football is a real sport!!!! But your right they are not that similar at all. League and gridiron would have more similarilties.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'm honestly offended that he tried to compare the fumbleball joke series, where amatuer sportsmen play against professional AFL players, to the 100+ years of international competition in RL. It just goes to show how brainwashed they are down there.

No one caught that someone actually believes that AFL players could just switch from AFL to union? The only thing these players can do is run.. and then run some more. You'd need at least a year of training to turn someone from AFL to an actual athlete.

And if they really claimed that an AFL team could beat Qld SOO - why hasn't anyone taken them up on that?? I'd love to see Inglis make minsed meat out of people. Hell, even Johnathan Thurston could pull a Moi Moi in that game!

They aren't even that good at running tbh. They have 100+ interchanges per team per game. Get any office worker/tradie/whatever to jog around an oval with the same number of breaks that fumbleballers get and he'd have no probs.