What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

Captain Clark

Juniors
What's wrong with football you w*nker?

If this World Cup hasn't proved to you morons that it's the biggest game in the World then I'm deadset not here.

redVgirl

Juniors
mate if u actually read the thread no one is denying its the biggest sport in the world. we are debating whether it will steal fans/participants from rugby league in a local context.

Captain Clark

Juniors
And I said myself it won't make a huge difference.

But those kids who switch from football at age 13, 14, 15 may just stick with it. After all, it is the most highly participated sport in Australia.

brendothejet

First Grade
Listen Mate,

Yeah Sure Soccer Is The World Game.

But We Only Live In One Part Of The World. And This Is A Rl Forum.

This Might Surprise You But Soccer Is A Nothing Sport In Australia. Sure Its Got Lots Of Juniors But Outside That It Has A Mickey Mouse Comp And A National Team That Is The Flavour Of The Month.

As Raider69 Said Ill Ride This Bandwagon Till We Are Knocked Out And Then Without Blinking Will Ignore Soccer.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Soccer is like a religion. Rugby League can't compete with it as much as we all love it. I love both games. I love the World Cup and I love my Liverpool, not as much as my Panthers but I guess I love quite a few things. You gotta love it!

aenima1

Juniors
brendothejet said:
Listen Mate,

Yeah Sure Soccer Is The World Game.

But We Only Live In One Part Of The World. And This Is A Rl Forum.

This Might Surprise You But Soccer Is A Nothing Sport In Australia. Sure Its Got Lots Of Juniors But Outside That It Has A Mickey Mouse Comp And A National Team That Is The Flavour Of The Month.

As Raider69 Said Ill Ride This Bandwagon Till We Are Knocked Out And Then Without Blinking Will Ignore Soccer.

soccer is nothing in australia?? in the A-leagues 1st year Sydney FC were drawing bigger crowds that pretty much every weekend nrl game. That's also going to dramatically rise again this year. This "mickey mouse comp" is probably going to be bigger than nrl by its 3rd or 4th year! good luck trying to ignore it!

Moffo

Referee
aenima1 said:
soccer is nothing in australia?? in the A-leagues 1st year Sydney FC were drawing bigger crowds that pretty much every weekend nrl game. That's also going to dramatically rise again this year. This "mickey mouse comp" is probably going to be bigger than nrl by its 3rd or 4th year! good luck trying to ignore it!

sydney fc are doing ok but the other teams?

tell em his dreaming. wait until year 3 or 4

Mr Saab

Referee
aenima1 said:

And still managed to lose millions of dollars in their 1st season.
Bigger than the NRL?? hahaha
A League has to make free to air TV 1st then we can talk

t-ba

Post Whore
sooperdooper said:
2nd in history yet a downfall on last year!
which you can blame on the sport as a whole

So, I'll take it that the increased crowds in the Union and League over in the UK and the alarming drop in PL crowds in the UK is a sign that Soccer there is on the downfall to the ravenous rugby codes then?

Look at the ratings FFS...it's simply murder this year for RL!

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Soccer will be the only code in australia that has the potential to be a national game.....RL will never be big in Victoria, while AFL will never be big in sydney.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
:lol:

storm crowds are very close to the Victory now and that's after a year when they played for nothing.

Cronulla look like Man U compared to Sydney FC.

BunniesMan

Immortal
League fans, we are f**ked. A-League is on it's way to the top. It will destroy all in it's way. We might as well disband the NRL right now and give up. Wait a minute...

Brisbane Roar secured a 2-1 win over North Queensland Fury on Tuesday night that was played in front of the smallest crowd in A-League history.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/record-low-crowd-mars-roar-win-20110208-1alsc.html

The A-League will never be a threat to NRL or AFL. Ever. I'm a soccer fan, I follow the English Premier League and the Socceroos and even I've never had the slightest interest in the A-League. The standard is sh*t.

The problem domestic soccer has in this country is the exact same thing as that sport's greatest strength. It's international popularity. The sport is religiously followed in Europe. There is no salary cap. Players are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a week over there. The A-League will never have any better player's than Australia's 2nd string socceroos and the occasional over the hill bloke from overseas coming here for one last pay check.

Anyone who ever seriously thought of the A-League as a threat is a complete idiot.

Last edited:

DutchRhino

Juniors
Its only like a religion to football fans, Leeds Rhinos is my religion, believe it or not there are people in Europe who don't give a rats arse about football!

Big Sam

First Grade
League fans, we are f**ked. A-League is on it's way to the top. It will destroy all in it's way. We might as well disband the NRL right now and give up. Wait a minute...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/record-low-crowd-mars-roar-win-20110208-1alsc.html

The A-League will never be a threat to NRL or AFL. Ever. I'm a soccer fan, I follow the English Premier League and the Socceroos and even I've never had the slightest interest in the A-League. The standard is sh*t.

The problem domestic soccer has in this country is the exact same thing as that sport's greatest strength. It's international popularity. The sport is religiously followed in Europe. There is no salary cap. Players are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a week over there. The A-League will never have any better player's than Australia's 2nd string socceroos and the occasional over the hill bloke from overseas coming here for one last pay check.

Anything who ever seriously thought of the A-League as a threat is a complete idiot.

For a start that game was played on neutral territory, midweek, with both clubs' sets of supporters having to endure immeasurable heartache over the past month. An A-League game would be the last thing on their minds. The fact that anyone at all showed up is a miracle. To use this game as a basis for your argument that the A-League is in turmoil, and therefore of no threat to League, is negligent.

Don't know if you watched any of last month's Asian Cup (you should have since you claim to follow the Socceroos) but our best player came from the A-League - Matt McKay. And guys like Marcos Flores, Archie Thompson, and Carlos Hernandez - are they all over the hill?

Don't forget that at a grassroots level, Soccer has the numbers on League. And it wasn't that long ago, post-Super League in fact, that League clubs were consistently drawing four figure crowds to games, and now look where we are - breaking attendance records year after year. Soccer in this country too went through a tumultuous Super League-type event with the disbanding of the NSL in 2004, so who's to say that in 10 years from now the A-League won't be averaging around the 17,000 that League does now?

The A-League may not be posing any threat to League at the moment but to dismiss any long-term threat outright is moronic.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I live on the Central Coast, I have been a member of the Central Coast Mariners since day one though I can't say the Mariners are taking over the Coast and killing off rugby league. The team is marketed heavily on the Coast, I will give you that, though our weekly crowd averages don't suggest the WHOLE of the Central Coast is as passionate as some.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I have never seen so many people with flags, T-shirts, jumpers, posters etc etc etc. The A league will now dominate the NRL in Sydney & the Central Coast, kill off the Storm. THE ARU have a lot to worry about aswell.

As Frank Skinner sang "Footballs coming home, its coming home, its coming home, its coming, footballs coming home"

First time Ive seen this thread ..............
:lol:

:sarcasm::crazy:

yeah that A league is just knocking it out of the park ATM
1,003 people attending a game last night ...:shock:

soccer couldn't kill off basketball the way its going ... let alone League :D

Latest posts