What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 1 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So Cowboys get a penalty try for a soft Dolphins tackle in goal, when imo it wasn't 100% certain the Cowboys' player would score, while all we get is a penalty for DWZ getting tackled in the air after making a clean catch and having to do nothing but fall to ground with ball to score...
I’m coming in completely blind here and haven’t seen the incident at all, but reading that DWZ was the attacker going for the ball close to the line, therefore the defender is allowed to touch him ? I may have what happened in my head though because that scenario wouldn’t earn a penalty

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I didn’t see much at all of that opening round, but there seems to be a buzz around with rugby league at the moment that goes back to where the game was pre the super greed war

Games sold out in Newcastle, Auckland and Parramatta with a big crowd in Brisbane too is a great sign the game is healthy at the moment

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m coming in completely blind here and haven’t seen the incident at all, but reading that DWZ was the attacker going for the ball close to the line, therefore the defender is allowed to touch him ? I may have what happened to ring in my head though because that scenario wouldn’t earn a penalty
Change in the laws this year apparently.

the penalty was given so that part seemingly isn’t in dispute- the question is why, when a penalty had been awarded, was it not then called penalty try as DWZ had made a clean catch in goal and only needed to ground the ball to score?

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
It was a shocker. Should have been a penalty try for sure. Or at least a professional foul/10 in the bin. You can't do that in a clear try scoring situation and just get a penalty. The ref just shook his head and said nah when the Wahs complained.

TheDMC

Bench
And I can't believe I just said the "Wahs" FMD.

The team/captain Tohu need to learn how to engage Refs more effectively. Should be training on that. They don't come across well and get shot down by the ref...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Change in the laws this year apparently.

the penalty was given so that part seemingly isn’t in dispute- the question is why, when a penalty had been awarded, was it not then called penalty try as DWZ had made a clean catch in goal and only needed to ground the ball to score?
Interesting, haven’t heard anything about that change.

Seems absolutely ridiculous that if a guy catches a kick on the line or in goal you aren’t allowed to touch them and basically have to let them score

Blair

Coach
Leniu suspended for 8 weeks...guess who his first opponent after that is?

The breakdown of that seems to be four weeks standard, plus two weeks for his lack of contrition and how he carried on with it afterwards in the hotel, one week for doing it during the NRL's showpiece and one week for how really upset Mann is.

They counted out a further week because that would mean missing a Warriors game.

Rich102

Staff member
Leniu suspended for 8 weeks...guess who his first opponent after that is?
Tough decision. Depends on common usage of the word. I think it is a rude tag but I am not sure if it is racist.

Obviously the judiciary thought otherwise.

JJ

Immortal
The breakdown of that seems to be four weeks standard, plus two weeks for his lack of contrition and how he carried on with it afterwards in the hotel, one week for doing it during the NRL's showpiece and one week for how really upset Mann is.

They counted out a further week because that would mean missing a Warriors game.
sounds like how the judiciary would roll - be nice to have some consistency tbh

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tough decision. Depends on common usage of the word. I think it is a rude tag but I am not sure if it is racist.

It’s racist when you’re using it against black people who’ve historically been accused of being apes or monkeys as a way of portraying them as primitive and less than human. Eastern European football fans would throw bananas at black players with the same insinuation. f**k Leniu, he’s a grub.

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
It’s racist when you’re using it against black people who’ve historically been accused of being apes or monkeys as a way of portraying them as primitive and less than human. Eastern European football fans would throw bananas at black players with the same insinuation. f**k Leniu, he’s a grub.
The most well-known case here was when Indian cricketer, Harbhajan Singh, dropped it on Australian Andrew Symonds, who was ethnically half-West Indian.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

If it was 7, his game back would have been the Broncos and they couldn't have that

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Compare it to the Montoya incident. AFAIK Kyle Feldt isn’t gay and Marcelo wasn’t actually insinuating that he was- he just dropped the slur in a general sort of way, he could’ve said “get up Kyle you pussy” instead. If Kyle was queer and Marcelo had called him a f****t on field I suspect he would’ve got more than four weeks because of the context of it.

Meth

Staff member
Definitely racist, whether Leniu knew or not.

I thought 8 was harsh. 4-6 weeks would have been better for mine.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Definitely racist, whether Leniu knew or not.

I thought 8 was harsh. 4-6 weeks would have been better for mine.
I reckon there was a couple of weeks of Vegas loading in it. Embarass the game on the big stage, wear the consequences. Especially considering how badly that slur would have gone down if the same incident occurred in US sport.

Meth

Staff member
I reckon there was a couple of weeks of Vegas loading in it. Embarass the game on the big stage, wear the consequences. Especially considering how badly that slur would have gone down if the same incident occurred in US sport.

Yeah. I don't like that.