What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 21 2023 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Drama in Downtown Auckland to kick-off the round, but that affects the FIFA Women's WC today more than the Warriors tomorrow.

Just on the World Cup, it'll distract from every game this weekend bar one, the one at Mt Smart! Such is the vibe around the Warriors right now.

Tonight, like two kids at school, who are not particularly good at sport, being made to take the spotlight. It's the Dragons v Tigers show. I want 'my boys' in black (and gold) to shine through.

Friday, it's big, it's at Penrose and there's always Canberra fans in NZ to keep us honest. The Warriors have momentum though, they simply can't drop this one.

Then it's up to the Sunshine Coast where both Souths and Brisbane have their PoWs (pieces of work) back. That's Latrell and Reece. Marking each other too, that'll be quite a spectacle.

Saturday, it's nearly do-or-die for both the Titans and Roosters, and it's the same for the Knights who have to beat Melbourne. Both home grounds should be packed for those. The Cowboys v Eels is tight too, the latter have their big names back which might be the difference.

Sunday, the Panthers will steamroll the Dogs (but an upset always makes a round) and the battered Sharks will look to put the Sea Eagles' finals hopes on a tightrope if it's not there already. I think 'you know who' is debuting in the maroon and white, at the expense of the loyal Tof Sipley. I feel a bit sick about that and I'm not even a Manly fan.

Enjoy.

Blair

Coach
I hope our girls get a goal tonight, it's the best we can really wish for. Norway have a much stronger soccer background.

Eden Park is the venue. I'm no longer a fan of it, although I haven't been there since 1996. It's just never seemed the place for league or soccer, unlike Mt Smart.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Jesus, Flodge in for Tof? I hope the sharks score 50 and the flog gets sent off

Disgraceful, hated the signing of Seibold and this just clinches it for me. Tof has been absolutely woeful his last 2 starts, but anyone dropped for Lodge is a disgrace. It has split the fan base right up the middle. My comment about hoping he does an ACL on the FB page didn’t last long

The Tigers, crazy, crazy stuff giving Samuela Fainu (5 NRL starts) and Latu Fainu (a few NSW Cup games) $500,000 each for the next 4 seasons. Thought they’d have learnt off overpaying Brooks for years

Blair

Coach
The Tigers go into the sheds at halftime 14-12 with momentum. A try just before the break does that.

Edit: St George won, 18-14. Bugger.

But the Ferns won!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
That's my weekend reading set!:

nswrl-books-Copy.jpg

I don't really get the yearly formats though. It's like a cricket season - 1987/88, 1988/89...etc, and the 1997 yearbook is actually the 1996 season! (where Manly won, of course, as opposed to the schamozzle of 1997 where both Newcastle and Brisbane won!)

Anyway, I got 'em from the local op-shop and I love 'em.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's my weekend reading set!:

nswrl-books-Copy.jpg

I don't really get the yearly formats though. It's like a cricket season - 1987/88, 1988/89...etc, and the 1997 yearbook is actually the 1996 season! (where Manly won, of course, as opposed to the schamozzle of 1997 where both Newcastle and Brisbane won!)

Anyway, I got 'em from the local op-shop and I love 'em.
That’s a pretty cool score!

Blair

Coach
Taupau leading with the knee in the tackle. He should know better.

The Broncos were comfortable winners, 36-20. We can safely say they're the real deal this year. There will be no late-season collapse and they should be there in the preliminary final or GF.

I still don't like them.

Souths meanwhile look in trouble. If the Cowboys win this weekend then I think they drop out of the eight.

Last edited:

GoSouths

Juniors
Seasons are on the line for Roosters, Titans and Knights today so should be some big performances. Refs will be under the spotlight in those games for sure.
Storm will want the win to keep the pressure on Broncs and Panthers. Cam Smith was a bit nervous this week as he said the Knights have historically given them fits in the past and this looks like another game prime for an upset.
Cowboys and Eels have a huge game today playing each other with both on 24 pts. Eels without 2 stars could be the one to blink first.

JJ

Immortal
Taupau should have been sent off, no mistake - ugly...

Souths need Mitchell...

JJ

Immortal
Six weeks at least if he was in a Warriors jersey!
Abd tbh I’d have no problem with AFB getting 6 weeks for that…

I don’t buy the Broncos as real threats, and as with Manly will be ecstatic when they are found out