What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 5 2021 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Alan Johnson

Juniors
We've struggled to find a decent half for years. The Roosters lose Keary, one of the premiere halves in the competition, and he's been replaced by a rookie 18 year old who has just played a match-winning 20 minutes of elite level football after getting dusted for the first three-quarters of the game.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It’s unbelievable really, 4th choice hooker who may get suspended and 2nd string halves and still manage to get a couple of results

The bottomless chequebook helps immensely with buying all the young talent but they have good systems there too

We've struggled to find a decent half for years. The Roosters lose Keary, one of the premiere halves in the competition, and he's been replaced by a rookie 18 year old who has just played a match-winning 20 minutes of elite level football after getting dusted for the first three-quarters of the game.

Draft anyone?

It is amazing isn't it.
Looking at US NFL it's not like everyone had a superstar quarterback. But their population is huge relative to teams.

32 NFL teams 320 million is equivalent to 3 NRL teams to 30 million (Aussie + NZ population).

Wasn't O'Sullivan a Aussie schoolboys halve? What have we done to him?

Blair

Coach
Draft anyone?

It is amazing isn't it.
Looking at US NFL it's not like everyone had a superstar quarterback. But their population is huge relative to teams.

32 NFL teams 320 million is equivalent to 3 NRL teams to 30 million (Aussie + NZ population).

I'm trying to recall one player who has turned down an offer to play for the Roosters?

We're after a hooker? With Friend retired so are they! How do you like our chances of snaring a top one?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Draft anyone?

It is amazing isn't it.

I’m not a fan of a draft, it works in the US but the US is a completely different beast

Rugby League is built on tribalism, and clubs put the time and effort developing players from young ages through SG Ball, Harold Matts etc, and fans can watch young guys coming through and get excited. In our example I like the fact that Manly fans have been able to watch a family like the Trbojevic’s come through all wanting to play for Manly and the club is in their blood and very soon there will be 3 of them in the same side

JJ

Immortal
Let go by the chooks and the Broncos before his old man got him a gig with us. Not sure the problem lies with us tbh
One fair effort one poor one, think he deserves more for now...

We have been poor at developing talent imo, not sure he alters my view on that no matter how he goes

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Fifita is repaying the big $$$ he was signed up for.

Great to see Gold Coast playing well. Would love to see them in the top 4

Can’t see it happening tbh. Gold Coast are a slightly better version of us with one player who can float in and out of a game and make a 1000-1 play pay off, occasionally.

I had us higher than them at the start of the year, with out AFB I reckon we finish 2 or 3 behind them

Blair

Coach
Some interesting results today, Payten's first win, and the Dragons look the goods actually.

Rd 5 Ladder:

upload_2021-4-11_21-5-7.png

A miserable round for Warriors fans, and we're in negative f/a, after five games, which is not a good sign.

nswarrior

Juniors
Some interesting results today, Payten's first win, and the Dragons look the goods actually.

Rd 5 Ladder:

View attachment 47497

A miserable round for Warriors fans, and we're in negative f/a, after five games, which is not a good sign.
Dragons looked scary good esp. in the 1st half. We are looking at a hiding unless we improve significantly from the weekend

JJ

Immortal
Can’t see it happening tbh. Gold Coast are a slightly better version of us with one player who can float in and out of a game and make a 1000-1 play pay off, occasionally.

I had us higher than them at the start of the year, with out AFB I reckon we finish 2 or 3 behind them
Hmmm not sure I agree

their halves are much better, that should count across the season... but injuries will be key

Scott

Bench
I'm trying to recall one player who has turned down an offer to play for the Roosters?

We're after a hooker? With Friend retired so are they! How do you like our chances of snaring a top one?
Shaun Johnson turned them down in 2017. He recently said they wanted him before they signed Tedesco.

He was recently on the 'Bloke in a Bar' podcast. I'd recommend having a listen.

Blair

Coach
Shaun Johnson turned them down in 2017. He recently said they wanted him before they signed Tedesco.

He was recently on the 'Bloke in a Bar' podcast. I'd recommend having a listen.

Cheers for the heads-up.

So Johnson would likely have won the comp with the Roosters in '18 and '19. Now he'll likely never win one.

I also recall Hodges being homesick after the Roosters '02 win and requesting a move back to Qld. But that's like for like, Roosters to Broncos.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Flying up the ladder into 15th, you beauty. I look though and it has been a tough run to start with the 4 losses being to the teams sitting 1,2,3 and 4 !! And add in that by the end of the game Friday there were 11 guys unavailable it’s a rough start

Interesting times ahead for Shaun Johnson, the new game should suit him and plenty of big clubs looking for halves, do we see him in a Broncos jersey next year ?

Blair

Coach
Flying up the ladder into 15th, you beauty. I look though and it has been a tough run to start with the 4 losses being to the teams sitting 1,2,3 and 4 !! And add in that by the end of the game Friday there were 11 guys unavailable it’s a rough start

Interesting times ahead for Shaun Johnson, the new game should suit him and plenty of big clubs looking for halves, do we see him in a Broncos jersey next year ?

There's a part of me hoping Johnson wins a premiership before he finishes, I don't know exactly why, perhaps it's to do with the fact he stayed with the duds for so long when he could've been at a glamour club.

Another thing, I spoke to an Eels tragic yesterday, and while he thinks the flash new stadium is awesome, he actually misses the old, ramshackle one it replaced.

I'd imagine many Sea Eagles fans would have similar feelings. Perhaps Warriors fans as well, and Sharks, and Penrith...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
There's a part of me hoping Johnson wins a premiership before he finishes, I don't know exactly why, perhaps it's to do with the fact he stayed with the duds for so long when he could've been at a glamour club.

Another thing, I spoke to an Eels tragic yesterday, and while he thinks the flash new stadium is awesome, he actually misses the old, ramshackle one it replaced.

I'd imagine many Sea Eagles fans would have similar feelings. Perhaps Warriors fans as well, and Sharks, and Penrith...

For me you can’t beat the hill at Brookie

I loved the character of the old embankment at Lancaster Park too

nswarrior

Juniors
I feel this will be a hiding. Dragons team was manure last year, and the only significant change has been the coach.

Exactly what I was thinking watching the game. And Dragons have their half and hooker out to injury.

why didn’t we get Griffin?

Latest posts