What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW - 2024

Re first play Eels/Dragons -

Eels player ran the ball back from the kick-off. Was held up and shoved about 10 metres to the side-line. The relevant clause in the rulebook is -

"Moving Tackle Player: Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call Held"

An Eels teammate did make a half-hearted effort to get involved. I reckon the ref should have called Held. Tricky judgement though because the ball-carrier, despite heading towards the side-line, still had forward momentum.

Wizardman

First Grade
The WNRL have butchered things a bit by expanding too quickly this year. They really need to halt expansion for a long time yet to see an improvement in quality.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The WNRL have butchered things a bit by expanding too quickly this year. They really need to halt expansion for a long time yet to see an improvement in quality.
Thats an opinion which is fine, but its not my opinion. No one is going to be as good as everyone else and as the numbers increase you will get a bigger gap. But as seasons get longer teams also get better look at St George.

Thats an opinion which is fine, but its not my opinion. No one is going to be as good as everyone else and as the numbers increase you will get a bigger gap. But as seasons get longer teams also get better look at St George.
Still unclear to what "quality" refers.

If it means the games, when one team has too much "quality" for their opposition the outcome can sometimes be a blowout. Alternatively, when two teams are perfectly well-matched in "quality" the outcome can sometimes be risk-averse tedium.

My take is that all NRLW games are enjoyable for fans so long as officials stop looking for things to call and let the players get on with it.

Juxtaposing negative views on the current 10-team comp with previous unflattering commentary about the 4-team comp would likely reveal multiple and reciprocal contradictions. Some people will always find fault.

ALX25

Bench
2024 BRAD FITTLER MEDAL FULL LIST OF AWARD WINNERS
The Daily Telegraph People’s Choice Award: Jaime Chapman (Gold Coast Titans)
NSW Women’s State of Origin Player of the Year: Jaime Chapman (Gold Coast Titans)
Sky Blues Award: Yasmin Clydsdale (Newcastle Knights)
Westpac NSW Women's Under 19s Origin Player of the Year: Kasey Reh (Illawarra Steelers)

Anything Gould says should be ignored, if its vaguely right then there is generally some other motive or he didn't mean it.. I can't believe he is allowed to commentate with his Bulldog affiliation.
Fair dinkum, Gus is a Marmite (Vegemite) character. The good moments make him worthwhile. Case in point, the Simaima Taufa fandom on Sunday. Genuine enthusiasm for a player he respects.

Latest posts