What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I agree Gronk, Jake I know where your coming from and I'm leaning towards feeling the same but I'll give him another month or so to see how things go, just remember this squad has not been depleted by injury like other squads and should be winning more games imo.

btw, this game will apperently be shown on one of the foxsports channels at 5pm Wednesday.

from all reports they absolutely capitulated in the last 20 minutes..

from the 2 games I have seen them play this year, and Reading the on-line play by plays of another, that seems to be a standard for them. Even in their win against the Sharks last week, they didn't score a point in the last 20 and have 14 scored against them and that was nearly 20 or 26 but for some luck.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree Gronk, Jake I know where your coming from and I'm leaning towards feeling the same but I'll give him another month or so to see how things go, just remember this squad has not been depleted by injury like other squads and should be winning more games imo.

btw, this game will apperently be shown on one of the foxsports channels at 5pm Wednesday.

Thanks for the heads up Muz. Wed 21st Foxsports 2 @ 5.00pm,

then replayed Fri 23rd Foxsports 1 @ 12.30am

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Wenty had that game, but just to much drop ball working it out off their own line killed them in the end. They tackled and tackled but as we all know in football, you can't keep handing over the ball cheaply to quality opposition.

Also the halves i think are not talking enough out there. When they get down to the opposition 20, they don't know what to do and then they just start throwing the ball around looking lost, they need to organise their backs. Very dissapointing because i thought the game was their for the taking but they let it slip. The simple things in the end cost wenty that game.

Last edited:

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Any reports on how Filiga went in his first start?
Filiga is getting better with each game, minutes are increasing each game and in the four games he has played he has shown all the qualities, attack, defence, also has a good offload.

He played for 70 minutes yesterday and did a lot of tackling, worked his back side off. Came up with a few awesome 1 on 1 tackles. Saved a try with a good tackle on the line as well. In attack he was not given room to work by the halves, they were giving it to him without notice and this is what i was getting at in my last post about our halves.

We have players like lasalo, wright and filiga who run awesome lines and if coming off a back line move they will be hard to stop. They were not setting up plays, they need to set it up 2 or 3 tackles in advance of when they are going to do it. It was like they would give the ball to the forwards and say here try and score because we don't know what to do, very frustrating.

hindy111

Post Whore
What about Anthony Mitchell? How has he been going and is he a chance of getting into first grade with his form so far?

ianlovesparra

Juniors
What about Anthony Mitchell? How has he been going and is he a chance of getting into first grade with his form so far?
He was good again yesterday, kicking game was very good, got wenty out of their own half on a number of occasions. His service from hooker is also getting better, i think he was worked on that a lot. From what i saw he used to pick the ball up take a few steps before giving it to the forwards or halves, this gave the defence to much time to move up and close down the attack. The last few games i have not seen this from him, if he takes the ball from hooker he is looking to catch the markers napping and get the defenders on the back foot, or he passes it straight from the ground to the halves and forwards.

Would not look out of place in 1st grade.

wittyz chick

Coach
1st of all "You last visited: 22-10-2009 at 02:53 PM ":crazy:WHOA!

Wenty had that game, but just to much drop ball working it out off their own line killed them in the end. They tackled and tackled but as we all know in football, you can't keep handing over the ball cheaply to quality opposition.

Also the halves i think are not talking enough out there. When they get down to the opposition 20, they don't know what to do and then they just start throwing the ball around looking lost, they need to organise their backs. Very dissapointing because i thought the game was their for the taking but they let it slip. The simple things in the end cost wenty that game.

OK I may not have been to THAT many games this yr but when the boys are warming up.. Constantly hearing "talk, come on boys talk it up talk it up"
Out on the field.. QUIET AS!

Plus their discipline was terrible.. TOO many penalties!

Humble to six, Filiga to 4...

Question: Why was he even at fullback? Morts is wasted in centre.. Superb at fulback!
2nd of all: We need O'Grady at 6. He's been a lifesaver more times than I can count!

Oh btw.. About Sunday's game as I put it.. I believe we just forgot there's 2 halves of football

PJ Marshal

Coach
Humble at 6 best move , thats where he was most effective for the Pride in the Q Cup

how has the lad been going? Pride could use him again they havnt been travelling too flash

IQed the game against Newtown and watched about 40 mins before i got tired and went to bed.

Quick rapidfire thoughts.

*Mitchell looked muchhhhhhh better then i remember him being back in TC. Has a good kicking game, good service and is quick around the ruck in attack. Could be the goods with more experience.

* Humble looks good, i think when he fully adjusts into his role at 1 he will kill it. He is a bit on the small side but seems to have a decent all round game.

* I feel sorry for Etu, dude is getting up in age ( 26 i think) and is a really good winger. Strong, firey and a good finisher, i hope he sticks around and gets a shot in the future ( nice having depth).

* Blackburn is a big dude, i could really see him having a impact in the NRL. He really needs go work on his cardio or he will get found out by the elite teams.

* I miss Bats :( hope he is going well for Newtown.

* I swear Allgood was never that skinny, i get him confused with Johnson though.

Gronk

Staff member
I watched the game on IQ as well. Gee Wenty were lucky to get within 500 points of the Jets. They were a huge mobile pack with great halves and that fullback, wow.

Maybe Humble had a bad game but I thought he looked no way near FG standard. TBH the only players I would bother with are Mitchell, Pele, Allgood, Wright & Te Mari. Maybe Lasalo.

Pele has some errors in his game but he's very mobile for a big unit and has some nice hands. A work in progress no doubt. Not sure if he will end up a Willie Mason type player or a workhorse. That's up to him I guess. To his credit he was involved in nearly every set when he was on the park.

Special mention to Te Mari. I though he had a lot of quality about him in both attack and defence. Based on that game, he'd be next back rower in line for a bench spot in FG IMO. Full credit to him for turning his life around.

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
I watched the game on IQ as well. Gee Wenty were lucky to get within 500 points of the Jets. They were a huge mobile pack with great halves and that fullback, wow.

Maybe Humble had a bad game but I thought he looked no way near FG standard. TBH the only players I would bother with are Mitchell, Pele, Allgood, Wright & Te Mari. Maybe Lasalo.

Pele has some errors in his game but he's very mobile for a big unit and has some nice hands. A work in progress no doubt. Not sure if he will end up a Willie Mason type player or a workhorse. That's up to him I guess. To his credit he was involved in nearly every set when he was on the park.

Special mention to Te Mari. I though he had a lot of quality about him in both attack and defence. Based on that game, he'd be next back rower in line for a bench spot in FG IMO. Full credit to him for turning his life around.

Did Pele get injured? he's not in the lineup this week..

Status
Not open for further replies.