What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Demetriou last week said the investigation could drag into at least August. Now with all these damning information coming out, Demetriou wants this investigation sorted out quickly. Looks like someone has lost control over the media in Melbourn. Containment strategy hasn't worked time to come clean Demetriou

magpie4ever

First Grade
If this mexican believes that his code will not be severely damaged by possible multiple bans on players and officials then he is a dribbler.

If there are multiple bans at Essendon as looks likely - the club must go.

I know the rednecks will fire up, but a week or two ago they were screaming that the NRL was being targeted by ASADA and the government, while the AFL was getting preferential treatment.

What say they now?

Maybe he was just hoping it dragged out to August so that if Essendon was out of finals contention they could all confess and take their 6 month bans from August to January and miss about 2 games

taipan

Referee
If this mexican believes that his code will not be severely damaged by possible multiple bans on players and officials then he is a dribbler.

I know the rednecks will fire up, but a week or two ago they were screaming that the NRL was being targeted by ASADA and the government, while the AFL was getting preferential treatment.

What say they now?

If you bother to check ,it was Roy Masters who stated a lawyer(and mentioned his name) for ASADA resigned, because of a supposed special deal that was to be offered,and subsequently withdrawn.
Is the lawyer a redneck or someone who wants things done even handedly?
It was the Essendon club that went to Demetriou first indicating they had a problerm,enabling the AFL to circle the waggons,to show everything was under control.
Guess what,the elephant in the room has returned,and is dropping a giant Henry the 3rd at the front door of Vlad castle.

ceagle

Bench

What say they now?
Wasn't it channel 9 who uncovered the new evidence and forced the spotlight on the AFL?

magpie4ever

First Grade
If you bother to check ,it was Roy Masters who stated a lawyer(and mentioned his name) for ASADA resigned, because of a supposed special deal that was to be offered,and subsequently withdrawn.
Is the lawyer a redneck or someone who wants things done even handedly?
It was the Essendon club that went to Demetriou first indicating they had a problerm,enabling the AFL to circle the waggons,to show everything was under control.
Guess what,the elephant in the room has returned,and is dropping a giant Henry the 3rd at the front door of Vlad castle.

I hope the elephant drops a royal turd on all cheats in all sports across the country.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Wasn't it channel 9 who uncovered the new evidence and forced the spotlight on the AFL?

Ch9 cant provide a decent coverage of the games, let alone uncover new evidence.

Roy wrote an article about a letter of offer to waive the bans on AFL players; I believe ASADA's response was that it was not possible to waive such bans and if they did WADA would come over the top. Remember ASADA and WADA do not place bans on individuals, that is the sporting bodies but can basically de-list a sport if the governing body doesn't follow the code.

magpie4ever

First Grade
That we agree,but not at the expense of any player who is knowingly or unknowingly innocent.

Yep, guilt must be proved.

I will just add, following blindly in an outlawed supplements program; is not innocence. If that was the case - everyone would claim it and have a fall guy on hand to take the wrap. So it really depends on the circumstances.

Last edited:

ceagle

Bench
I see it going as the people in charge of administering the peptides will get hit hard and the players will be let off or given a slap on the wrists.

El Diablo

Post Whore

and ASADA might let Essendon off despite WADA saying they shouldn't

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/club-doctor-frozen-out-20130411-2holp.html#ixzz2QDXwgQiz

ASADA is aware of legal advice that raises concerns about the prospects of any AOD9604 action succeeding and may yet abandon its probe into the use of the drug.

ASADA continues to investigate Essendon's use of AOD9604, having been given interim advice from the World Anti-Doping Agency that it was banned at the time of use under a catch-all rule that prohibits supplements not approved for therapeutic use.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I see it going as the people in charge of administering the peptides will get hit hard and the players will be let off or given a slap on the wrists.

Again depends on the circumstances and evidence but it is a possibilty for some.

taipan

Referee
Yep, guilt must be proved.

I will just add, following blindly in an outlawed supplements program; is not innocence. If that was the case - everyone would claim it and have a fall guy on hand to take the wrap. So it really depends on the circumstances.

I also look at it this way.Supplements have been part and parcel of the codes for ages.Administered by one assumes the conditioners/trainers,with the supposed knowledge of the doctors.
Injections would be a concern, I would suggest for an individual and or a team ,a change in supplements by oral use under the above conditions would be of a less concern for a fooballer ,as this is a team sport and not an individual one like cycling.
The ASADA code where supplements are legal then become illegal ,and grey areas in between,how in God's name is a footballer supposed to b an investigative detective.they make it seem so flipping simple.

The testing bodies should have come out some time ago ,and spelt out in bllack and white what is and what isn't,instead of these are legal and the remainder are not.Spell out the remainder in detail,not generalise.

Canard

Immortal
and white what is and what isn't,

What is, is easier to determine.

A What isn't list just isn't feasible, as it would be out of date virtually as soon as it was issued.

That's why I think the "Whitelist" scenario raised by others is a good idea.

ASADA is aware of legal advice that raises concerns about the prospects of any AOD9604 action succeeding and may yet abandon its probe into the use of the drug.

You would have to think a media savy propagandist like the other code's CEO isn't going to rais grave fears about something that is that "grey". I speculate that there is more evidence and possibly more "supplements" being used than just those nominated in the media.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
I also look at it this way.Supplements have been part and parcel of the codes for ages.Administered by one assumes the conditioners/trainers,with the supposed knowledge of the doctors.
Injections would be a concern, I would suggest for an individual and or a team ,a change in supplements by oral use under the above conditions would be of a less concern for a fooballer ,as this is a team sport and not an individual one like cycling.
The ASADA code where supplements are legal then become illegal ,and grey areas in between,how in God's name is a footballer supposed to b an investigative detective.they make it seem so flipping simple.

The testing bodies should have come out some time ago ,and spelt out in bllack and white what is and what isn't,instead of these are legal and the remainder are not.Spell out the remainder in detail,not generalise.

There is no way that cycling could be considered an individual sport, the whole sport is based around teams and team cultures. It is unfortunate for players who innocently followed advice of trusted club employees, but they must be punished to prevent future rorting of the system.

It is also impossible to spell out the remainder of drugs in detail as there are new drugs created everyday. They have to have a generalised statement to prevent players from using a performance enhansing drug until it is placed on the banned list, and then just moving onto the new drug on the block.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade

My understanding on the weight loss drug (which is why I commented earlier that everything was ok for what Hird is alleged to have done and also what the players were given) It came from a report here -> http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3735256.htm

The info I heard (Can't find the source now) on the weight loss drug indicated it had failed all medical trials. I'm not sure what WADA have an issue with it for.

ASADA need to have more or this is pretty poor effort for the hype it was given at the press conference.

magpie4ever

First Grade
My understanding on the weight loss drug (which is why I commented earlier that everything was ok for what Hird is alleged to have done and also what the players were given) It came from a report here -> http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3735256.htm

The info I heard (Can't find the source now) on the weight loss drug indicated it had failed all medical trials. I'm not sure what WADA have an issue with it for.

ASADA need to have more or this is pretty poor effort for the hype it was given at the press conference.

I would suggest they have.

El Diablo

Post Whore

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/game-changer-20130412-2hr82.html

Status
Not open for further replies.