What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you want

whistler

Juniors
Hilder, Taufua and Simpson would get a start at most NRL clubs.

They might get a start at most NRL clubs,but they are similar types of backrowers and offer zero in attack. I don't think you can have too many of these guys in your backrow. If you haven't noticed we aren't exactly flushed with attacking options.

whistler

Juniors
Give 400 K to young Aiden Tolman and I reckon we would go close to signing him. He would be worth every cent.

I totally agree 100%. Best young front rower in the comp,his workload is amazing. Some of our front rowers at the moment are liabilities in defence around the ruck,they look too slow and lack mobility. Tolman would be a huge upgrade.

Serc

First Grade
Well its not like most packs have 2 Watmoughs and 2 Thaidays...you need a mix of both and can usually only afford a certain amount of 'game breakers' without the rest of the team going to sh*t.

Adsy

Juniors
Read in the Mark Tafua being resigned article in the herald that Stone "Wants to resign everyoneif I can". Bit of a worry.

Do we know yet who is 'everyone'? As in did we ever get a complete list of our players off contract this year?

Do we know yet who is 'everyone'? As in did we ever get a complete list of our players off contract this year?

‘‘I want to reiterate that we want to keep everyone if we possibly can,’’ Stone said.
Stone said the Knights were holding talks ‘‘on a continual basis’’ with their remaining off-contract players, including Ben Cross, Steve Simpson, Adam MacDougall, Scott Dureau, Ben Rogers and Cooper Vuna.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...signing-twoyear-deal/1805255.aspx?storypage=2

Adsy

Juniors
Thanks, Baron. Guessing there are also a few reserve grade nuffies coming off contract too.

I'm getting very tempted to say we should let the old brigade of Simmo and Doogs go. They have been two of our greats but don't think they will be worth the coin they are on come the end of the year.

We've also still got the Wicks & Housten salaries in the kitty.

Time go shopping. Prop, back rower, half & centre should be on the list. I.E. Tolman/Merrin, O'Donnell/Mateo, Finch/Henry & Inu/Tomane.

Note - those are just examples of off contract players.

aqua_duck

Coach
I really like the look of Merrin and I reckon he could be another Tolman but you'd get him for 250k cheaper. I'd throw 200k incentive based deal at Beau Henry and give him the number 7

Misanthrope

Staff member
‘‘I want to reiterate that we want to keep everyone if we possibly can,’’ Stone said.
Stone said the Knights were holding talks ‘‘on a continual basis’’ with their remaining off-contract players, including Ben Cross, Steve Simpson, Adam MacDougall, Scott Dureau, Ben Rogers and Cooper Vuna.

556425-2T.jpg

Serc

First Grade
Also if thats true no wonder the club isn't complaining about having him for the moment...as the more games he misses the less they have to pay him :p

Spot On

Coach
Thanks, Baron. Guessing there are also a few reserve grade nuffies coming off contract too.

I'm getting very tempted to say we should let the old brigade of Simmo and Doogs go. They have been two of our greats but don't think they will be worth the coin they are on come the end of the year.

We've also still got the Wicks & Housten salaries in the kitty.

Time go shopping. Prop, back rower, half & centre should be on the list. I.E. Tolman/Merrin, O'Donnell/Mateo, Finch/Henry & Inu/Tomane.

Note - those are just examples of off contract players.

Who knows, we may have many more $$$$ if the persistant rumours are correct.

Godz Illa

Coach
Merrin article. Good thread this btw

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ague/merrin-a-priority-for-doust/1807036.aspx

Merrin a priority for Doust

BY TIM BARROW
20 Apr, 2010 04:00 AM
St George Illawarra will make their top priority the re-signing of young prop Trent Merrin and will not chase a major front-row signing to cover Jarrod Saffy's exit to rugby union.

Club chief executive Peter Doust yesterday declared the Dragons were not in a position under the salary cap to make Saffy an offer competitive with that tabled by new Super rugby franchise the Melbourne Rebels.

With Saffy set to leave the NRL at the end of the season and following NSW State of Origin prop Justin Poore joining Parramatta this year, Doust said the club won't be chasing New Zealand international Jeff Lima or any other high profile forward.

Full coverage of the Dragons

"I wouldn't think that we could go into the international front-rower market place," Doust said yesterday.

"We've got various (front row) options available to us here and our priority is signing someone like Trent Merrin, who is a local junior."

Lima is set to be released from the final season of his contract at the Melbourne Storm because of salary cap pressure.

The Dragons have been involved in negotiations to retain Merrin - who has attracted interest from rival clubs - and captain Ben Hornby, with both off contract at the end of the season.

Saffy has long been on the Rebels' radar, as first revealed by the Mercury in January, but could not be contacted yesterday. Born in South Africa, Saffy has an impressive rugby union pedigree.

He moved to Australia as a teenager and represented his adopted nation at the Hong Kong Sevens, as well as being a member of the NSW Waratahs Academy squad, playing for Sydney University in club rugby and winning GPS high school titles with St Joseph's.

Having played for the Dragons the past three seasons, Saffy switched to league when he joined the Wests Tigers in 2006 after being approached by coach Tim Sheens.

A disappointed Doust hit out at recent comments by Rebels boss Brian Waldron, the former chief executive of NRL powerhouse the Melbourne Storm.

Waldron declared on Sunday that Saffy would be joining the new Australian franchise, but Doust said the comments were inappropriate because the deal was yet to be finalised.

"I'm a little bit unhappy about the promotion of the circumstances of Jarrod by our mate at the Melbourne Rebels (Waldron)," Doust said.
"We have not yet completed negotiations, we haven't had discussions on that level."

Frederick

Staff member
Lima and Merrin would make a great pair of front rowers to target - established FG player and current NZ rep paired with young up and comer with big, big future ahead of him.

aqua_duck

Coach
Lima would be a great signing, he's only 27 or 28 and has a good 3 years left in him at the very least. Also was abit of a late comer so isn't as battered and bruised as other front rowers his age, I think we should be able to get him for the money we were playing Wicks

perverse

Referee
Lima would be a great signing, he's only 27 or 28 and has a good 3 years left in him at the very least. Also was abit of a late comer so isn't as battered and bruised as other front rowers his age, I think we should be able to get him for the money we were playing Wicks
you are dreaming to the point of delusion on that one.

he would be a great signing, though.

Moi Moi off the market, at 31 probably not someone we were after either. However that just means that Tolman's offers will be increased you'd imagine.