What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put up or shut up, ASADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elkin is obviously the true villian ... good to see he gets shafted for 2 years minimum !!!

Flanno was more a bystander who should have put better governance processes in place ... so he deserved some penalty.

But $1M is excessive (even if $400k is suspended) given it was an 11 week program run by the trainer, compared to the 12 month Essendon program in which the coach was intimately involved.

I think it's a bit silly to be comparing the fine with Essendon. AFL have shown to be very poor/lenient when it comes to punnishments.

A harsh penalty sends a clear message to all clubs not to try this shit and it sends a clear message to the public, that the NRL will not tolerate this behaviour, as opposed to the AFL who will give you a few chances first before trying to bribe/sweep shit under the carpet.

The club can move on now that this stuff is sorted out. The players who are guilty are the only ones with any concern.

Feej

First Grade
How many times do you reckon you (or a Sharks supporter like you) has said 'if xxxxxx i think i'll be done'?

Stop being a pissant. You'll be back. Once the footy season comes around all this shit will fade into the background like it did this year.

I don't think "all that shit" ever faded into the background.

Vin Fizz

Bench
same way they are fining people for ElephantJuice with no idea what ElephantJuice they took. I have a feeling this has only just started.

Not so sure about that Carch. I reckon this is the extent of what the commish will do. The words Preliminary are just process. We will get stung 600 large and Flanno will have enough time to have a baby. But, i reckon that'll be it for us i realy do. The media will have a furgin field day for the next few months because they now have a hoooge league story off season which they'll milk (or bourbon) every little bit they can from though, but I reckon we can and will move on strongly now.

PS: Fair dinkum. Some of these troll comments clearly demonstrate the mental capacity of the author. Purile..

Last edited:

The Popper

Bench
As members we are stakeholders. Once again we have shyt thrown at us. This has been happening on and off pretty much since 1974. We stand firm and cop it every time. The beneficiaries are who bugs me. Beneficiaries, Popper? Yep. Gillard, Lundy and Clare. They have now been semi vindicated. Their lot leave the country a financial ruin and have no qualms about trying to do the same to our beloved club. And that sickening trio from the Smellegraph too. Kidding there won't be champagne flowing in their kennels too. Yep, $1m fine, added to the lost sponsorship and legal fees...gotta be a penalty of about $3m...and the temporary loss of one of the most popular coaches in the country too. Excuse me folks, my stomach is turning. Gotta go hunt down the vomit bucket.

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

Farkkkk em all.

Quigs, that's the attitude that got the Sharks in this position in the first place.

Sorry, mate, but you left it too open not to take a shot.

I hope the innocent players and staff do come through the otherside with their careers and reps intact.

drago brelli

Bench
As members we are stakeholders. Once again we have shyt thrown at us. This has been happening on and off pretty much since 1974. We stand firm and cop it every time. The beneficiaries are who bugs me. Beneficiaries, Popper? Yep. Gillard, Lundy and Clare. They have now been semi vindicated. Their lot leave the country a financial ruin and have no qualms about trying to do the same to our beloved club. And that sickening trio from the Smellegraph too. Kidding there won't be champagne flowing in their kennels too. Yep, $1m fine, added to the lost sponsorship and legal fees...gotta be a penalty of about $3m...and the temporary loss of one of the most popular coaches in the country too. Excuse me folks, my stomach is turning. Gotta go hunt down the vomit bucket.[/QU

Can you believe this rubbish. Some of the Cronulla supporters on this forum continue to be hopelessly deluded.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
As members we are stakeholders. Once again we have shyt thrown at us. This has been happening on and off pretty much since 1974. We stand firm and cop it every time. The beneficiaries are who bugs me. Beneficiaries, Popper? Yep. Gillard, Lundy and Clare. They have now been semi vindicated. Their lot leave the country a financial ruin and have no qualms about trying to do the same to our beloved club. And that sickening trio from the Smellegraph too. Kidding there won't be champagne flowing in their kennels too. Yep, $1m fine, added to the lost sponsorship and legal fees...gotta be a penalty of about $3m...and the temporary loss of one of the most popular coaches in the country too. Excuse me folks, my stomach is turning. Gotta go hunt down the vomit bucket.

Can you believe this rubbish. Some of the Cronulla supporters on this forum continue to be hopelessly deluded.

He's 99% correct. All he needed to add was that Drago Brelli was a gutless pimple faced fat phhuckwit keyboard warrior & he would have got 100%

Omnishark2

Juniors
I think it's a bit silly to be comparing the fine with Essendon. AFL have shown to be very poor/lenient when it comes to punnishments.
I disagree Madunit, it's highly relevant.

Essendon's program went for 12 months, the head coach was initimately involved, was systematic and organised, and involved something like 1500 injections.

Cronulla's program went for 11 weeks, was run by the head trainer off on the side, was shambolic, and was on a significantly smaller scale. Flanno bears some indirect responsibility and deserves some penalty - but he was not at the core of things like Hird was.

For consistency, the penalties should be proportionate - and the NRL penalties are clearly not.

Feej

First Grade
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1...-1-million-fine-flanagans-suspension/?src=rss

Cronulla Sharks will appeal against the provisional 12-month suspension of coach Shane Flanagan and a $1 million fine handed down by the NRL today.

The NRL took the action because of the club’s breach of the code in 2011 over the club’s supplement program.

The NRL stated Flanagan failed to ensure a safe environment and failed to prevent unsafe practices affecting the players’ health and safety.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith said Flanagan’s suspension could be reduced to nine months.

The NRL suspended $400,000 of the $1 million fine.

Former Sharks strength and conditioning coach Trent Elkin had his registration cancelled over his role in injecting unknown substances into players without proper medical qualifications.

Smith has given Flanagan and the Sharks until January 15 to put their case.

Smith described the Sharks as a strong club whose players showed ‘‘enormous courage and bravery’’during the 2013 season.

"Damian Keogh and CEO Steve Noyce have showed strong leadership and are already making changes," said Smith.

Former Sharks half Brett Kim Morley is tipped as a likely replacement if the NRL upholds their preliminary findings.

Smith stressed they were preliminary findings only.

The ASADA investigation is continuing, and no action has been taken against any players or any other Sharks staff from 2011.

silverfox

Juniors
didnt flanagan get the players together in the middle of shark park and tell them they would be taking supplements and they need to keep it on the quiet. I think this was Isaac gordon's statements. So if thats they case he of cause new what was happening and sanctioned it. Face the facts - they were in it up their eyeballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.