What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q: Best club over the last 5 years?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i love the argument from those who are "for" melbourne being the best club..

unfortunately they just don't seem to get it that if you cheat, you are disqualified..

so i'm at uni at the moment... lets say i copy the best bits from previous student's assigments, steal the exam paper before the test and get 100% for the whole unit - the best mark in the whole uni.

am i the "best student"?

if i don't get caught, yes, i appear to be better than everyone else..

if i do get caught, no i'm not the best student.. i'm a dirty cheat who doesn't have the integrity to follow the rules like everyone else, and will most likely be kicked out and stripped of my grades..

quite simple really.. you can cheat and make yourself appear to be better than the rest... until you get found out..

Loudstrat

Coach
OK lets settle this.

I did the stats based on where each club finished. Premiers first, runners up second, prelim final losers both 3rd, and so on. Two exceptions. Clubs who were disqualified got 0. Clubs not in the comp were not counted. The results from 2006-2010 are interesting, and not many have picked the real answer, apart from the obvious - Manly have been the best.

The top 5 are:

Manly (average 4.4)
Brisbane (average 5)
New Zealand and St George Illawarra (average 5.8)
Parramatta (average 6.8)

They are followed by:
Canterbury, Gold Coast, Wests, Cronulla, Raiders and Knights, then Roosters, Cowboys, Souths, Penrith, and of course, Melbourne.

Dr.J

Juniors
True. Melbourne were the best in the last 5 years, just like Ben Johnson was the best sprinter at the 1988 Olympics.

Good analogy. Just like the 1988 100m sprint you have to probably go down to the 7th best competitor before you find someone who wasn't cheating.

West Tigers in 2005 were probably the last Premiers who weren't rorting the cap in some way or another, and this is now >5 years ago.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Good analogy. Just like the 1988 100m sprint you have to probably go down to the 7th best competitor before you find someone who wasn't cheating.

West Tigers in 2005 were probably the last Premiers who weren't rorting the cap in some way or another, and this is now >5 years ago.

Fail.

Loudstrat

Coach
2008+NRL+Grand+Final+Sea+Eagles+v+Storm+9meGQTurruNl.jpg

All those bloody contracts that Waldron made me sign. Now I'm out for 3 weeks with f*cking writers cramp!!!!

_addict

Juniors
OK lets settle this.

I did the stats based on where each club finished. Premiers first, runners up second, prelim final losers both 3rd, and so on. Two exceptions. Clubs who were disqualified got 0. Clubs not in the comp were not counted. The results from 2006-2010 are interesting, and not many have picked the real answer, apart from the obvious - Manly have been the best.

The top 5 are:

Manly (average 4.4)
Brisbane (average 5)
New Zealand and St George Illawarra (average 5.8)
Parramatta (average 6.8)

They are followed by:
Canterbury, Gold Coast, Wests, Cronulla, Raiders and Knights, then Roosters, Cowboys, Souths, Penrith, and of course, Melbourne.
Warriors really bombed the year that Sonny Fai tragically died just before the season started:(

SDM

First Grade
If Melbourne weren't cheats Parra could have 2 premierships in the last 5 years. Unlikely as they would have choked to some other team but the point is the storm have f**ked the last 5 years, it's all a bit pointless.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
True. Melbourne were the best in the last 5 years, just like Ben Johnson was the best sprinter at the 1988 Olympics.

good to see the telegraph reads this board:

Seriously, Storm fans need to get over it. For the same reason Ben Johnson can't call himself the 1988 Olympic 100m champion - he was first past the post but was found guilty of using illegal steroids, and so stripped of his gold medal - Melbourne can't call themselves the premiers in 2007 and 2009.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eld-to-the-storm/story-e6frexnr-1226134355191

AuDragon

Juniors
Manly IMO, and full credit to Hasler for that performance.

Such a pity the club is full of whingers, starting with the board, Hasler, players and fans...

I'd say Broncos 2nd and Dragons 3rd, as both have a premiership, but the Broncos were eliminated 3 times by the cheats in 2007, 2008 and 2009, while eliminating the Dragons in 2009.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Manly IMO, and full credit to Hasler for that performance.

Such a pity the club is full of whingers, starting with the board, Hasler, players and fans...

I'd say Broncos 2nd and Dragons 3rd, as both have a premiership, but the Broncos were eliminated 3 times by the cheats in 2007, 2008 and 2009, while eliminating the Dragons in 2009.

To be fair, they also robbed the Saints of a GF in 06 as well

stormbati

Bench
Hmmmm, 4 consecutive Grand Finals for 2 Wins and 2 losses and 3 consecutive Minor Premierships and a wooden spoon and 0* Premierships.
Best team of the last 5 years, best team of the last 10!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we talking best team or best club?
Team = performance on field
club = performance off field

I'd go Storm on field
Titans off field (yes I know about the rumours but they have survived the difficulties of a new club, recruited well, got a great stadium built and generally have a crowd avg higher than majority of clubs).

LatK7

First Grade
Are we talking best team or best club?
Team = performance on field
club = performance off field

I'd go Storm on field
Titans off field (yes I know about the rumours but they have survived the difficulties of a new club, recruited well, got a great stadium built and generally have a crowd avg higher than majority of clubs).

:lol:

sting

Bench
If anybody was looking to find some of the dumbest rugby league supporters in the world, looking in this thread would be a good start.

Manly would be the best with 1 premiership and 2 grand finals, followed by StGeorge with 1 premiership and 2 minor premierships. A case could be made for the 2 minor premierships being worth more than the grand final appearances but that's a whole different issue.

Latest posts