What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Side for 2010?

BDR

First Grade
Would have taken Bolton over Costigan OR Taylor. Other than that team looks absolutely great, even without the likes of Hannant and Hodges. I really hope Cam Smith is fit though, throw in Matt Ballin, Nathan Friend or Aaron Payne and suddenly that team looks a bit less impressive.

user_nat

Coach
In the event that one of our back 5 gets injured (happened every game last year I think), who comes on for them? Taylor?

MightyBronco

Juniors
Good starting side, bench a bit so-so. Tate would have offered a LOT more than Cronk. Taylor also a bit suspect, but deep down you just know big county boys like him will just go ballistic in his first Origin.

Dazzat

First Grade
Great side. The strength of a side can always be gauged by those who missed out:

Tuquri (proven Origin performer)
Tate (as above)
Scott Bolton
Scott Prince
David Stagg
Corey Parker
Ben Teo
Nathan Friend
Matthew Bowen

Well balanced, great established combination ... only complacency will defeat this team.

Big Pete

Referee
Yep, Taylor to me screams Origin player. I'm very happy for him and I hope he takes his chance with both hands.

I don't mind Neville off the bench, he always steps up for Origin and is a skillfull customer.

Bolton can consider himself unlucky but I'm not too surprised.

Bring on them Blues!

Dazzat

First Grade
Costigan is a real impact player. He can come in and pulverize in defense, or pull off a great offload.

Interesting ... Costigan plays a lot on the right and Taylor on the left. There's a plan late in each half.

Big Pete

Referee
Great side. The strength of a side can always be gauged by those who missed out:

Tuquri (proven Origin performer)
Tate (as above)
Scott Bolton
Scott Prince
David Stagg
Corey Parker
Ben Teo
Nathan Friend
Matthew Bowen

Well balanced, great established combination ... only complacency will defeat this team.

A side made up of players missing...or second stringers

1. Matt Bowen
2. Brent Tate
3. Justin Hodges
4. Mat Rogers
5. Lote Tuqiri
6. Brett Seymour
7. Scott Prince
8. Steve Price
9. Matt Ballin
10. Ben Hannant
11. Scott Bolton
12. Ben Te'o
13. David Stagg

14. Nick Kenny
15. Matt Gillett
16. Scott Logan (I have no idea who else could be used...)
17. Michael Crocker

Not bad.

Ben Teo

His selection would be a blight on origin football.

Like Fein in the Kiwis.

Teo has been in australia for all of 3 years - as well as playing for Samoa and being picked for the kiwis (not run on though) in 2007. At least cutie had been a resident since the age of 14.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
His selection would be a blight on origin football.

Like Fein in the Kiwis.

Teo has been in australia for all of 3 years - as well as playing for Samoa and being picked for the kiwis (not run on though) in 2007. At least cutie had been a resident since the age of 14.

If that's true, they need to really fix those representative rules. It's becoming a joke watching the likes of Fien run out for the Kiwi's, or the prospect of seeing Te'o run out for Queensland. Eliminate the choice.

Azkatro

First Grade
I love how we pick players in position. And before anyone mentions Folau, he's a winger before he's a center in my view.

DeeJ

Bench
T'eo also played for the junior Kiwis not long ago. I thought he was told he was ineligible for that exact reason. He only wants to play for QLD cos he plays for the Broncos now anyway.

If that's true, they need to really fix those representative rules. It's becoming a joke watching the likes of Fien run out for the Kiwi's, or the prospect of seeing Te'o run out for Queensland. Eliminate the choice.

Absolutely agree.

What did Teo list his nationality/preference as when he registered with the NRL? Would be interested to know.

He was a Warriors junior, got a bad leg injured and we released him in 2005 I believe. He then had a massive whinge in NZ papers about it - real tear jerker. From there:

Played for the Junior Kiwis 2005
Signed for the Tigers in 2007
Named in Kiwis Squad 2007
Plays for Samoa 2008
Signs for Broncs in 2009
Declares he wants to play for Queensland 2010

If that guy EVER plays origin I'll be hugely disappointed.... although wouldnt mind watching the reception he got from 'the boys' if he plays for Aussie v the Kiwis.

Charlie124

First Grade
Overall im pretty happy with the side, would have liked to have seen Bolton in over Costigan or Taylor and maybe Tuqiri in instead of Boyd. I was expecting Hannant to be fit in time but i can see him coming back for game two and moving Scott to the bench.

If NSW dont win game one they can kiss this series goodbye too.

T'eo also played for the junior Kiwis not long ago. I thought he was told he was ineligible for that exact reason. He only wants to play for QLD cos he plays for the Broncos now anyway.

Hell, I didnt realise he'd be named 18th man for Game 1 this year.

What a joke.

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=25360&ben-te%27o-dreams-of-maroon

Ben Te'o Dreams Of Maroon
Steve Ricketts
www.couriermail.com.au

6/05/2010 11:26:58 AM

BRONCOS utility Ben Te'o says he has never wavered in his desire to play for Queensland despite regular overtures from the New Zealand Rugby League.
Te'o, one of the form players in a disappointing Brisbane outfit, is eligible to play for the Maroons despite the fact he was born in New Zealand and has represented the Junior Kiwis.
The 23-year-old said yesterday he was not fazed by the prospect of criticism from both sides of the Tasman after getting the all clear from the Australian Rugby League.
``Ever since 2008 I have been approached by the Kiwis and I've stepped back,'' Te'o said.
``It's not like I have been pursuing both. I made a decision three years ago.
``It was a bit of a gamble because if Queensland didn't want me, and I had knocked back the Kiwis, I was nowhere.''
QRL managing director Ross Livermore said Te'o was eligible because he had not played for New Zealand since his junior days and the fact he represented a developing league nation _ Samoa _ in the 2008 World Cup, meant the slate had been wiped clean.
Livermore said Queensland coach Mal Meninga had been impressed with Te'o's form and the fact he could play centre, lock or second row made him an ideal interchange player.
Te'o, whose father is Samoan and mother British, said he had supported Queensland growing up in New Zealand and had maintained his passion for the Maroons at Keebra Park High.
After playing second row in the 30-22 loss to Newcastle, Te'o is back at centre for Sunday's away match agains

Love this article.

He was born in NZ and lived here 19 years.

DeeJ

Bench
Hell, I didnt realise he'd be named 18th man for Game 1 this year.

What a joke.

Absolutely agree.

What did Teo list his nationality/preference as when he registered with the NRL? Would be interested to know.

He was a Warriors junior, got a bad leg injured and we released him in 2005 I believe. He then had a massive whinge in NZ papers about it - real tear jerker. From there:

Played for the Junior Kiwis 2005
Signed for the Tigers in 2007
Named in Kiwis Squad 2007
Plays for Samoa 2008
Signs for Broncs in 2009
Declares he wants to play for Queensland 2010

If that guy EVER plays origin I'll be hugely disappointed.... although wouldnt mind watching the reception he got from 'the boys' if he plays for Aussie v the Kiwis.

At least with Hunt you can understand, he moved to Australia when he was 12 and played his first ever rugby league in Australia. Teo is a joke.

At least with Hunt you can understand, he moved to Australia when he was 12 and played his first ever rugby league in Australia. Teo is a joke.

Absolutely. Hunt you could agree with to some extent. This one is mind boggling.

Right up there with Fein and granny gate.

Big Pete

Referee
Fair point Az on Folau. He can be seen positioned on the wing from time to time for the Broncos.

Latest posts