What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can't the smaller clubs simply get richer ?
surely they can 'adapt' and just make more money? :)
All rules are set to make the game safe, fun and entertaining to play/watch. In essence all of it is artifical by its nature. I dont even think the rule changes are bad or couldnt lead to a better game, its just the implementation of it has been diabolical and once again seems to refelct a typical Vlandys bull in a china shop approach. Set out of with the goal then work with all parties to get there over a period of time. There was no major rush, no imperative. It seems Vlandys was spooked by the Ch9 CEO comments last year about the game being boring and slow. Then he knee jerked at one bad ref call around head highs and created a disaster. It seems his MO, get spooked, knee jerk response, tell everyone that is how it is.
As soon as you take a dictatorial approach and impose signifcant change on people without taking them on the journey of change you are in for trouble, especially in a highly political arena like the NRL.

franklin2323

Immortal
I guess it isnt about gettign rid of none close games between good teams and shite teams, they have always existed. But when you see Storm (who I have to say are by no means the best Storm side I have ever seen play) are hammering other top 4 teams, or a 5th place team is hammering a 9th placed team thats where the gap shouldnt be that great.

Perception is an interesting thing. 30-6 you say yeh big loss and move on. 50-6 is a drubbing that you kind of shrug your shoulders and ask how that can happen between two teams of the mostly the best players in the NRL? Theres something psychological about a team getting 40 or more onthem that takes it from a heavy loss to a massacre.

Let's take the Roosters side that was flogged.

I already said rules are going to be changed so I am not arguing for them to stay

How much footy did Suualli or Walker play last year?

Would they of been closer if Keary, Radley, Friend, Collins etc played?

That is what is highlighting it more the lack of depth etc across clubs and the competition.

Maybe after a couple of years and a normal schedule it fixes itself.. though likely not due to claims of a 'soft' comp since 2016 I doubt that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let's take the Roosters side that was flogged.

I already said rules are going to be changed so I am not arguing for them to stay

How much footy did Suualli or Walker play last year?

Would they of been closer if Keary, Radley, Friend, Collins etc played?

That is what is highlighting it more the lack of depth etc across clubs and the competition.

Maybe after a couple of years and a normal schedule it fixes itself.. though likely not due to claims of a 'soft' comp since 2016 I doubt that.
But on the flip look at the storm side, No papa, grant or nelson, youve got Jennings and Smith on one side who with all due respect are not exactly the cream of the crop, and 4 players backing up from origin. It shouldnt have been a 46-0 flogging when its against one of the better teams and I'd suggest under 2019 rules it wouldnt have been.

franklin2323

Immortal
But on the flip look at the storm side, No papa, grant or nelson, youve got Jennings and Smith on one side who with all due respect are not exactly the cream of the crop, and 4 players backing up from origin. It shouldnt have been a 46-0 flogging when its against one of the better teams and I'd suggest under 2019 rules it wouldnt have been.

Those guys played a full last year and have a good coach something that is lacking. Storm aside a side gets a few injuries and they will get smashed.

I think this is a pretty well balanced article and worth reading. Even for people who support the current situation

Essentially the game has removed a lot of tools weaker teams could use to help them.

Great article Pete and got a lot of merit.

The only thing here I'd question is the notion that these "help" weaker teams.

To me - if a team is breaking the rules of the game (be it offside or otherwise) i don't see it helping a weaker team. I see it more that a team is impacting the legitimate freedom of the opposition to score points. And the offending team should be penalised....

A stronger team shouldn't need to stand offside, a weaker team may look to stand offside to stifle the opposition.. Either way - both should be penalised for it.

mongoose

Coach

I think this is a pretty well balanced article and worth reading. Even for people who support the current situation

Essentially the game has removed a lot of tools weaker teams could use to help them. Let's focus on two of them. Firstly penalty goals. Yes, penalty goals are hardly exciting but they gave a weaker team the chance at points without having to go through a better teams defensive line and they would get the ball back from the kick off giving them possession.

Secondly the removal of offside as a penalty. Here is where I think the problem largely falls. Good teams (especially the storm) fly off the defensive line like maniacs. Offside or onside it doesn't really matter as long as

A) it's early in the tackle count
B) it's in the oppositions half but especially 20m
C) good contact is made

Now in the pre 2021 days if a team did that they would give away a penalty and the poor team being suffocated could take a breather and kick for field possession. Now they get a set restart (this might be on tackle 1 and 5m out from your own goal line)

I don't think it's a coincidence that the top teams are keeping their opponents in their own end in numbers not seen before.

Now so far so what but the nrl is still in the entertainment business and games are getting blown out earlier

What is in this for the viewer
Removed tool's for the Sticky's of the NRL to exploit lol

franklin2323

Immortal
Great article Pete and got a lot of merit.

The only thing here I'd question is the notion that these "help" weaker teams.

To me - if a team is breaking the rules of the game (be it offside or otherwise) i don't see it helping a weaker team. I see it more that a team is impacting the legitimate freedom of the opposition to score points. And the offending team should be penalised....

A stronger team shouldn't need to stand offside, a weaker team may look to stand offside to stifle the opposition.. Either way - both should be penalised for it.

Stronger teams should of had to wrestle...Yet they did.

That was why we had less points and closer games in 2019.

Sides would be attacking the line be struggling due to a number of reasons.
Would give away a penalty. Would get a breather and a set defensive line.
Now the ref just keeps playing on...Which leads to blow outs

Stronger teams should of had to wrestle...Yet they did.

That was why we had less points and closer games in 2019.

Sides would be attacking the line be struggling due to a number of reasons.
Would give away a penalty. Would get a breather and a set defensive line.
Now the ref just keeps playing on...Which leads to blow outs

“The wrestle” wasn’t illegal. Many people just hated it and I get why.

Yes it impacted the attacking team and momentum…

What’s happened here though is to cure one problem, they’ve created another one. And thrown extra mustard on it.

Like the cane beetle… introduce the cane toad to eat it, problem sorted!

Well…. Not exactly..

franklin2323

Immortal
“The wrestle” wasn’t illegal. Many people just hated it and I get why.

Yes it impacted the attacking team and momentum…

What’s happened here though is to cure one problem, they’ve created another one. And thrown extra mustard on it.

Like the cane beetle… introduce the cane toad to eat it, problem sorted!

Well…. Not exactly..

Pretty that is it. So the rules won't go all the way back but there will be tweeks

Pretty that is it. So the rules won't go all the way back but there will be tweeks

whatever the rules, changes or not… I’m still confident that the 2 teams at the top - Penrith n Storm - would still be there and ahead of the rest..

The roosters n souths (roosters slammed by injuries) would be up there too, and Parra muddling around.. and Tom Trbojevic..

So I don’t think it’s affected which teams would otherwise be at the top… especially Storm n Panthers…

it’s just created an otherwise average spectacle n contest….

franklin2323

Immortal
whatever the rules, changes or not… I’m still confident that the 2 teams at the top - Penrith n Storm - would still be there and ahead of the rest..

The roosters n souths (roosters slammed by injuries) would be up there too, and Parra muddling around.. and Tom Trbojevic..

So I don’t think it’s affected which teams would otherwise be at the top… especially Storm n Panthers…

People think being a Panthers fan is why people think I was pro new rules.

I was never pro the rules just wanted a bigger sample size and I hated the standard of the game with the wrestle. So I am pro trying to fix it.

I agree. Storm have made what 10 prelims straight?

We made finals in 2016, 2017, 2018. Were pretty good after Round 10 in 2019. So ours is more natural development then the rules.

Roosters have all the injuries or they would still be up there.

Souths again have played 3 PF in a row so were good pre rule change.

So I don't think it changes who is better. I just want those teams in good field position to be able to attack without illegal play stopping them. 6 again is good for that.

Maybe they bring back scrums and penalties for inside sides own halves. Leave 6 agains for attacking the line that looks like a good mix

Last edited:
While I agree Storm have handled their injury crisis spectacularly well, it’s a little different at the chooks due to season-ending injuries of experienced campaigners. It’s easier for Bellamy to get his players up for a game because they know they only have to weather this period for a few weeks. Where as at Easts, it’s almost the length of the season and the players know they won’t be getting their best team on the field at all. And that’s on top of a similar season last year. The young guys have their heads down and just aren’t up to the riggers of week in - week out NRL first grade yet so I don’t blame the rules in that regard at all. Robbo used to blood the young guys in with a bench spot here and there but now is forced to use them more often than he’d like. On the plus side, the squad may be better for the experience next year although I fear their may be a leadership vacuum left by Friend and Cordner’s retirements. Our discipline has been rubbish without them.

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade

Speaking for my own club.. in the past 9 years we've won 1 premiership, made 5 other prelims (ouch) and 1 other finals series. That's across:
* Multiple rule changes
* 3 different head coaches
* Losing generational players like Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis, John Sutton and Issac Luke
* Losing other good players like Luke Keary, Api Koroisau, Nathan Brown, etc

After decades of mismanagement I'm just glad we're one of the more professional teams in the NRL now.

super_coach

First Grade
Apparently the ratings have crashed and people are just not watching the game nearly as much. That in it self will force change, because the game is all about its Broadcast value.

Not a fan of the new rule, but the bottom line, they make zero difference to what teams will finish top 5. My main concern is we have so little change in our top teams year after year. The AFL, although Richmond have won two Comps in three years, there has been plenty of movement each year in the top eight. That creates interest, unlike the NRL, where before the season started you could realistically scratch over half the field from having a chance of playing in the GF. The salary cap was introduced to act as a leveler, but clearly doesn’t work for many reason. A Draft would be great, but would be highly unlikely ever to get off the ground.

Anyway the NRL are in big trouble if they can’t get the comp and the contests a lot closer. Going to be interesting to see what Peter V has up his sleeve

flippikat

Bench
Apparently the ratings have crashed and people are just not watching the game nearly as much. That in it self will force change, because the game is all about its Broadcast value.

Not a fan of the new rule, but the bottom line, they make zero difference to what teams will finish top 5. My main concern is we have so little change in our top teams year after year. The AFL, although Richmond have won two Comps in three years, there has been plenty of movement each year in the top eight. That creates interest, unlike the NRL, where before the season started you could realistically scratch over half the field from having a chance of playing in the GF. The salary cap was introduced to act as a leveler, but clearly doesn’t work for many reason. A Draft would be great, but would be highly unlikely ever to get off the ground.

Anyway the NRL are in big trouble if they can’t get the comp and the contests a lot closer. Going to be interesting to see what Peter V has up his sleeve
I think you raise a great point there - there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement between the contenders & the also-rans.. and some clubs seem to be eternally stuck in "mediocre at best" mode.

Having the same teams dominate for extended periods of time - like how the Roosters and Storm have - is just gonna turn people off.

siv

First Grade
You cant expect players who have not played RG games to be able to come in and play at the intensity of NRL fixtures

It only takes 3 below par players to have 30 points put on you

When clubs are in the bubble mode its important that players 18-36 are also playing

Best way to do this is play RG on game days at the same venues. With processes to bring U21 players into the RG bubble

Sorry boys and girls - running community State Leagues during this covid decade isnt going to work

We already have seen that the current vaccines are not working against the current Delta strain. So we are going to be in for years of variants followed by years of vaccines