What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rap

Biggie didn't end up laying his verse until a couple days later. He went home practiced the Bone flow which they had taught him, and recorded his verse later on. Just one example of why Bone are the greatest group ever, but they never get the credit they deserve.

interesting ... i read biggie was embarrassed and practiced his verse in the next room and then came in and laid it

there is no way bone are better than wu-tang clan ... the wu have two group classics, two solo classics, three near solo classics, one group and four solo 8/10's and a couple more bangers ... granted they also have some garbage too ...

the wu had more immitators after 36 chambers than anyone else and still to this day you have fans trying to get up in the wu camp, like bronze and cilva ...

the wu have bone covered from now until eternity ... wu-tang was a movement

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
He's allready been mentioned in the thread. I thought i'd mention some albums that people may not of heard. But yes "No One Can Do It Better" is a classic.

Bone Thugs popularity stems from their versatility. They've got all bases covered one way or another throughout the 5 members. Not many groups can rap & genuinly sing. Their hooks are amazing, and their rapid fire verses spawned a whole generation of imitators. Just look at the amount of rappers who've tried to copy their style since they debuted. When they collaborated with the Notorious B.I.G, Biggie was absolutely awestruck by them. He was marvelling at their skill. Layzie Bone was drunk as f*ck and jumped in his car and went to sleep. When it was time to record his verse, he was still asleep with his face pressed up against the window. They woke him up, he stumbled out of his car, walked back into the studio, straight into the booth, recorded his verse in ONE take, then walked back out the studio, got in his car, and went back to sleep. The entire Bad Boy camp were stunned. Biggie didn't end up laying his verse until a couple days later. He went home practiced the Bone flow which they had taught him, and recorded his verse later on. Just one example of why Bone are the greatest group ever, but they never get the credit they deserve.

:lol::lol: thats awesome, I always liked Layzie the best.

Whats up with Bizzy though? is he back with Bone?

interesting ... i read biggie was embarrassed and practiced his verse in the next room and then came in and laid it

there is no way bone are better than wu-tang clan ... the wu have two group classics, two solo classics, three near solo classics, one group and four solo 8/10's and a couple more bangers ... granted they also have some garbage too ...

the wu had more immitators after 36 chambers than anyone else and still to this day you have fans trying to get up in the wu camp, like bronze and cilva ...

the wu have bone covered from now until eternity ... wu-tang was a movement

This is the making of Life after Death XXL article:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/126282/The-Making-of-Life-After-Death
Scroll down to track 13.

Biggie knew how great they were, as did Tupac.

I always saw Wu's imitators as just more Staten Island cats who just wanted to chuck a Wu symbol on their album cover. Bone's imitators were people like Biggie, Jay-Z, Twista, Da Brat, Do or Die, Crucial Conflict, Dr Dre, Eminem (forgot about Dre is bone influenced), Hell even Mariah Carey on Breakdown. I love the Wu, don't get me wrong...I place them at number 2 as far as my fav groups, but Bone are musically better. IMO Wu-Tang is obviously the purest form of raw hip hop, but Bone just brought new styles and a new level to the game. Wu's got a larger discography as you pointed out, but that's due to having 9 sick MC's in the one group. Bone has half the amount and their cohesion is better. (irregadless of Bizzy's absence) When it comes to Wu group albums sometimes i'm left feeling like "damn I wish Ghost was on that track, or Gza was on this etc etc" I do enjoy the different combinations they come up with though, but sometimes they get it wrong.

During the mid 90s when I was a teenager, the most popular rappers at my school were Bone, Tupac & Snoop. There was only a handful of us who were into Wu. I banged Wu-Tang Forever most days in my mates car at school when it dropped in 97. But Bone got more play..everyone loved them.
kiwi boi 15 said:
:lol::lol: thats awesome, I always liked Layzie the best.

Whats up with Bizzy though? is he back with Bone?

Yeah bro. All 5 are back together now. Flesh~N~Bone was released from jail in July after serving almost 9 years. Bizzy's been back for a while now too.

recent pic:
l_29be33eb73f52a90255a06041e6cc40e.jpg

This was taken after Flesh walked out the pen.

New album on the way next year. It will be f*ckin dope, I guarantee it.

They broke records, they won grammys and all types of awards, they had the game locked down. Every single they dropped from 94-98 blew the f*ck up. Wu only had one big hit single as a group "C.R.E.A.M." While Bone had "Crossroads", "Thuggish Ruggish Bone", "1st Of Tha Month", "Dayz Of Our Livez", "Look Into My Eyes" etc. All the big names wanted to work with them. Biggie, Pac, Eazy-E, Big Pun. They collaborated with all the fallen greats. Wu were more a loosely based collective rather than a group. Bone are easily top 5, and arguably #1. Now you're reaching...

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
hey bobby i cant get into that document, it gets errors when tyring to stream it.

each to their own i say.

i presonally like wu tang better than bone thugs, i never really got into their style.

thought i would add my top 15 album list, although it is very hard to do so as there are so many i love, im just going to follow what i grew up with.

in no particular order

run dmc - tougher than leather
Boogie down productions (KRS One and DJ Scott La Rock) - Criminal Minded
ice cube - amerikkas most wanted
ice t - original ganster
nwa - straight out a compton
notorious BIG - ready to die
cypress hill - black sunday
snoop dogg - doggy style
DPG - Dog Food
Wu Tang - 36 chambers
method man - tical
Geto Boys - Geto Boys (real dirty south shiit)
2 live crew - as nasty as they wanna be
ll cool j - bigger and deffer
Dr Dre - The Chronic

hey bobby i cant get into that document, it gets errors when tyring to stream it.

each to their own i say.

i presonally like wu tang better than bone thugs, i never really got into their style.

thought i would add my top 15 album list, although it is very hard to do so as there are so many i love, im just going to follow what i grew up with.

in no particular order

run dmc - tougher than leather
Boogie down productions (KRS One and DJ Scott La Rock) - Criminal Minded
ice cube - amerikkas most wanted
ice t - original ganster
nwa - straight out a compton
notorious BIG - ready to die
cypress hill - black sunday
snoop dogg - doggy style
DPG - Dog Food
Wu Tang - 36 chambers
method man - tical
Geto Boys - Geto Boys (real dirty south shiit)
2 live crew - as nasty as they wanna be
ll cool j - bigger and deffer
Dr Dre - The Chronic

I've got all the albums you listed, some in cd, all in mp3. They're all definite classics, with the exception of Tical which was disappointing IMO, but then again the flood ruined that. Rza had about 15 beats per clan member, but Meth's sh*t was affected the most. He was first up on the solo tip, and everyone was expecting a classic. We had to wait for Raekwon to do that. It's not a bad album, just average imo. 3 1/2 Mics.

As for the Life After Death article, someone posted it on this forum:
http://www.streethop.com/streets/30485-xxl-making-life-after-death.html#post419306

This is the XXL making of Raekwon's Purple Tape (Cuban Linx)
http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=39731

Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=2477
(f**kin sick that Brooklyn's Finest was a back and forth battle like Meth Vs Chef)

2Pac's All Eyez On Me
http://www.alleyezonme.com/lyrics/alleyezonme.phtml
R.I.P. to Pac's old producer Johnny J btw. He comitted suicide recently.

The Dodger

First Grade
thanks bobby.

i was trying to search for the other xxl threads (like biggie's making of ready to die and so on) but that forum is only three pages long and there is no search option.

i must be blind.

i have all those albums on cd and mp3 and funny enough, i have the following on cassette

-tougher than leather
- criminal minded
- bigger and deffer
-as nasty as they wanna be
-original ganster

criminal minded was a hard one to get, so was bigger and deffer.

i had two older sisters that would go through all the stuff i was listening to and make sure i didnt get anything offensive (as directed by the oldies).

they bought me tougher than leather for my birthday. i remember them listening to the whole tape making sure there wasnt anything too drastic on there.

i remember making the old lady buy me bigger and deffer, than once my sisters heard it, they made a fuss about it to the old man (they were real bitches at times), they heard the first song, im bad (with the sirens going at the start) and they stopped it right away and demanded i had it taken off me. i stole it back a few times and got it taken away again and again until they got over it.

i copped some major beltings for that tape.

with criminal minded, i used to get money off the old lady to go to rockdale bowls (aahh the memories) and play games. i went for like 2 months of hanging up there and watching others play games while i was saving my money so i could get it. i got my mates older brother to buy it for me too.

i thought that was the shiit when i first got it, i dubbed it on another tape and called it mixed songs. my sisters didnt even think about going through that one. i thought i was a genius.

but after that, i was free to roam.

i bought amerrikkas most wanted and original gangster at the same time and i taped them both on a (i think it was) 90 minute tape. i played that tape until it melted in my stereo.

they were the good old days.

dude, i remember me and my two cousins (one girl) thinking we were turbo and ozone (cant remember the chicks name) after watching breakdance. we used to make up dances and copy them off the movie. when part two came out (electric boogaloo) we were very dissapointed and got over the breakdancing.

i could go on and on about the good old days, but i'd never stop.

I like the itchy trigger finger n****rs.....

HAHAHA. they recorded the album directly from prison, so when you hear those interludes in the background, you know its for real!

funniest scene of a movie ever i reckon.

as for rap i like, not too much to be honest. Some Tupac is incredible. i cite him as one of my writing influences, despite my writings being purely for punk rock music. i would kill to be able to tell those dark stories like he can. Biggie is pretty good too at the down and out rap lyrics that i like. Public enemy are awesome.

basically i like any rap that has a message, has incredible lyrics or is really really gangsta or is the beastie boys haha. im not down with the ja rules and eminems and those wankers.

boxa777

Coach
Grew up listening to hip hop and still love it today..

Never really big on Australian Hip Hop but Bliss n Eso are something special. Not sure if anyone is into them but they have sweet beats, great flow and top lyrics.

All time favourite has to be 2pac, the man is a poet.

Notable mentions - BoneThugs, Obie Trice (crazy spit), the Wu, some of Eminem, Naughty by Nature, the Game and the Modern Day Poets (kiwi)..

And Immortal Technique..

Last edited:
Been listening to Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein. Incredibly dope album.

"You were a still born baby, momma didnt want you but you were still born" - Vast Aire.

Love that dude.

The Dodger

First Grade
A Letter From ODB's Mother

Posted by Adam Bernard at Thursday, November 13th, 2008 at 6:01PM

Four years ago today marks one of the most tragic days in my life when I lost my son Rusty whom many of you know as Ol' Dirty Bastard. For the past four years I have sat back and watched certain individuals try and tarnish my sons beliefs. My son loved every single one of his children and every single one of their mothers and provided for them all the best he could when he was alive. My son was an extremely generous soul. In the past four years, my daughter has portrayed me very poorly in law, Icelene. While I am very upset with my daughter in law's false remarks towards me, I am more upset by the way the other children Rusty had fathered and cherished are not being taken care of properly. I am also outraged that it appears Icelene has been diverting money away from the other children and taking out personal loans against Rusty's Estate Assets. She has gone through numerous attorneys and her new attorneys have racked up numerous amounts of legal fees and have accomplished nothing. The fans want my son's last album, which they are not allowing Koch to drop.
I'm not a lawyer or a judge but the children's attorney, the Estates lawyer Donald David and Jeremy Shure and the Judge Margarita Lopez Toress seem to have no interest in stopping Icelene from looting the estate. In fact many of the mothers have recently hired their own attorney's for the children because some of them felt that the attorney that Judge Margarita Lopez Torres appointed for them wasn't properly representing their children. He hasn't showed up at depositions, he hasn't done anything to protect my grandchildren. How can you allow someone who has spent over six figures and taken out personal loans against estate assets to continue? Even the bonding company who bonds the Estate is fighting to get out because of the fraud she has committed on the Estate.
It also troubles me that Ferrar and Strauss, a division of Macmillan, are publishing a book about my son's life. After my son got out of prison, Dirty's manager, Jarred Weisfeld, and I received a call that Rolling Stone wanted to do an interview with Dirty. We said ok and allowed the person to interview him. She came back for one more interview, which took place at a concert. The article never appeared in Rolling Stone however it did appear in The Village Voice. After my son passed this author who knew my son for only a few hours decided to write a book and asked Jarred and myself to take part in it. We declined and asked that she not use any part of the interview she conducted with my son, in her book, but she did. I am asking all of Dirty's fans to boycott this book as none of the proceeds are going to his children and this authors motives and intentions seem to be to disgrace my son's legacy.
Also, quotes from lawyer, Robert Shapiro, in yesterday's newspaper, are shameful. The fact that an attorney who represented my son for less than a minute, would comment and speculate on my son's health to get his name in print is disgraceful. The world knows that Robert Shapiro was not really my son's attorney and his real attorney was like a second father to him and his name is Peter Frankel, one of the only people who went above and beyond the call of duty for my son and whom I love dearly for that.
I hope next year my son's final album will be released for the 5th Anniversary of his passing. It pains me to have to write this on the day of his passing but I needed to address this.
I know my son would have been at that rally in Chicago when the first African American President was elected and I'm sure he would have gone up on stage and grabbed the microphone as only he could.
Lastly today is a very sad day not only for me but also for my entire family including Dirty's father and his siblings and children. I will always love my son Rusty and I will always make sure all of his children are taken care of.
His loving mother, Cherry Jones

http://www.rapreviews.com/

macavity

Referee
slightly related - anyone here a fan of dub and dancehall - or am I on my own..

some of the stuff that the likes of King Tubby, Lee Perry, Supercat.... is pretty f**king amazing.

i never considered tical a classic the same way most wu fans do ... if i were to rate the wu solo's it would probably come in at 10 ... i don't get the fuss

OB4CL
Liquid Swords
Ironman
Supreme Clientele
RTT36C
Bobby Digital in stereo
Golden arms redemption
unctrolled substance
fishscale
tical

i guess that's how i would rate the solo efforts for a top 10

Latest posts