What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD 24: Parramatta Eels v Manly at Pirtek Stadium 7.45pm 22/8/14

I still think we are susceptible to conceding big meters through the middle against big, tough forward packs like Souths and the Roosters, but how good was the defense last night!!

Tommy Coco

Juniors
I've been to heaps and heaps of home games at Parra/Pirtek, and we are usually a good crowd.

But tonight was unreal - I (and others around me) started up the "Parra" chants without shame, we yelled until we were hoarse, we booed the ref...

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the crowd was red-hot tonight, and it the victory even sweeter!

What area do you sit in, the KT stand is always good value but I have to give praise to the big unit that got up and turned to the stand to lead a parra chant a half dozen times. hopelessly out of time but he no care.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What area do you sit in, the KT stand is always good value but I have to give praise to the big unit that got up and turned to the stand to lead a parra chant a half dozen times. hopelessly out of time but he no care.

I sat in the Sterling Terrace.

I usually don't like rubbing the game in opposition fans' faces, but when I aw Manly fans leaving with 5 to go, I started up the "Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na! hey, hey, hey! Goodbye!" chant, and the terrace followed suit :lol:

I got really into it last night and I cannot talk this morning.

Kornstar

Coach
My favourite part was not once, but twice the "bullshit" chant came out! I don't ever remember tha happening before.

The hate for Manly is there and the passion came out when we started the second half so well.

What the f**k did Arthur say to them at half time? I will say it again, Hayne willed us that victory, he played a slightly different role but without him we didn't win that game!

Tommy Coco

Juniors
My favourite part was not once, but twice the "bullshit" chant came out! I don't ever remember tha happening before.

most of the crowd was willing on penalties from the very first set. I love the crowd that gives that turns to the video ref to give it all they have and then 5-10 mins later when we score they go back at the vid ref and give him the up yours as though he wanted to take this one away but can't.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We're going ok. Just Manly are going better.

Well my wrists were still intact at halftime. O'Speedwagon was also realistic. There were plenty of halftime hissy fits from the rest of you merkins.

That said, I didn't expect us to win the second half four tries to nothing.

Awesome game. Well done Parra. The Edwards try felt like a big "f**k you, world, you're not taking this one away from us" statement. So many players had good games.

Astonishing decision by the ref to go to the video ref to check on Cherry Evans. Is that unprecedented? I've never seen it. Brought back memories of the last game at Brooky.

And this thread was some good reading, lol.

Chipmunk

Coach
Phil Gould doesn't run the business side of things. Penrith have a CEO which is Warren Wilson, Phil Gould is the middle guy - his title is 'General Manager' and obviously Ivan Cleary is the coach. Their board is also well set up as far as I know with a couple of ex-players and businessmen etc on there. Phil Gould does alot of behind the scenes sort of stuff and helps out both Wilson and Cleary.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of the NRL. They can make life very difficult for clubs. For instance, with the independent directors situation the NRL may withdraw funding from clubs who refuse to appoint independent directors; thats if it gets passed. However, in a sense your right - the clubs have an enormous say as to who runs the game! I personally, don't think the independent director thing will happen simply because it would mean clubs would be giving themselves a big vote of no confidence when it comes to keeping their house in order; no club is going to do that! As for the draft, I don't think there is anything concrete yet on how it is going to work; the devil is in the details. Its failed before and alot of thinking will need to go into it before it is put in place. One of the fundamental problems with the draft is what happens if a player gets picked for a club he doesn't want to join? What happens then? The whole thing is very problematic! The problem with David Smith is that he has alot of grandiose ideas but he hasn't been around Rugby League enough to understand it in an Australian context.

I think the major stumbling block that the NRL is going to have with the Independent Directors, is that they also want the Chairman to be independent. To say to someone like Nick Politis that you can no longer be the Chairman of your Club is ridiculous and will never be passed by the majority of Clubs.

souths_pride

Juniors
I think the major stumbling block that the NRL is going to have with the Independent Directors, is that they also want the Chairman to be independent. To say to someone like Nick Politis that you can no longer be the Chairman of your Club is ridiculous and will never be passed by the majority of Clubs.

I wasn't aware that they wanted the chairman to be independent as well but I'll take your word for it. Your right, there is no way on god's earth that will happen; hell will freeze before that happens! I get the feeling the whole independent directors thing is a kneejerk reaction to the incidents that have gone on this season with the Tinkler situation at the Knights and Mick Potter saga thats gone on at the Wests Tigers. I think what will be a big problem with it will be that other club directors and officials are going to do all they can to make life difficult for the independent directors and look for excuses to get rid of them. Alternatively, clubs may say to the NRL keep your $1million in funding we'll fine other ways of making money!

Glen

Bench
Still buzzing from last night. We still have a long way to go but games like that with the home crowd going nuts have been absent for too many years

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gee that was a good win, was very impressed with our line speed in defence, it's the best I have seen in a while.

Parra were $8 at half time. Easy money. The refereeing in that game was disgraceful. Brilliant win.

im still kicking myself i didn't take the sportsbet offer of $8 for a parra 40/20 i was tempted but i thought the manly wingers would be awake to sandow

Latest posts