What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd1 2024: 530pm Parra v Dogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium (sold out) March 9th

JokerEel

Coach
Pretty good hit out for round 1. Wasn't perfect but didn't need to be.
It was disappointing to see the Dogs score two soft tries, however I think the issue in both cases was our defensive line moved up but then became flat footed. In that moment, the dogs went around us.

BA will hopefully address that in training and I expect a better performance next week.

Overall, we controlled the game really well. Would be nice to see some set moves from a scrum this season.

The try they scored first up, we stopped multiple times during the game but as you said we moved up then became flat footed this time.

I was super impressed watching the replay I everyone small errors near though but all in all everyone have 100%

oldmancraigy

Coach
What was Carty put on report for??

He crushed Fox in the opening minutes and one can only assume the touching or bunker gave the ref a nod to say it was either a shoulder charge, or high tackle.

I'll be shocked if anything more comes from it. Carty's right arm clearly wraps around the defender, so it isn't a shoulder charge. It isn't high. Fox doesn't stay down because of high contact - poor bloke had his shoulder busted by the force of the tackle.

Good hard footy.

lucablight

First Grade
I’m happy with the win but we should have won this game by a lot more. Here’s hoping it was because Moses was injured because the attack was very pedestrian for most of the game. It was also a worry that the Bulldogs were able to score on the few occasions they were able to get down in our red zone.

Great to see Cartwright has picked up where he left off from last year. He could come into origin contention if he plays like this every week. I was pleasantly surprised by Harper. I thought he had a good game. I think we also take for granted how good Gutherson is under the high ball. He just never drops them and makes it look too easy. Paulo was fantastic as well. What an embarrassment of riches we have in the forwards. What a luxury to be having Paulo and Matterson coming off the bench. From 1-17 could this be the best forward pack we’ve had in decades?

King-Gutho94

Coach
On the dogs gee its funny seeing Reed Mahoney do SFA. And basically get steamrolled in the middle.

How long until Gus wakes up and realises he over-paid him.

Lussick outplayed him on half the price the dogs are paying Reed.

I still remember the season Mahoney did his shoulder and Lussick came in we didn't really miss a beat we beat the storm at Suncorp ending there 20 game winning streak during that period and its a shame he also got injured on the verge of the finals.

It was a solid performance. Winning ugly is ok at the start of the year but losing 3-4 games like we did at the start of last season cost us. BA was ok With the losses and the he found out.

Carty was awesome. Paulo and Russell very good. We won that game because of our pack. Emu coming into that pack will make it even more dominant.

Our defence on our line is still soft in conceding tries. First try the dogs scored was just plain embarrassing. Our attack was clunky even before Moses was injured. There’s a lot that can be improved that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I thought the Dogs were pretty resilient in defence - while our attack was clunky at times, the Dogs defended quite well.

I think saying we should have put 50 on them is disrespecting the defensive effort they put in.

But they'll be in for a long year, if Hutchison, and Burton, are their halves - criticism can be levelled at Mahoney, but those halves are trash, and offer nothing.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
Also adding whenever we beat the Dogs, it’s a good win.
The rivalry will never die. Too much history and geographical close to each other to wane.

But I hope the dogs remain down the bottom for another 4-5 years. It's been refreshing to see there fans basically cop a decade in the doldrums.

There is nothing more annoying then bulldogs fans up and about.

With a long period of being down the bottom the moment they rise up they will be louder then ever after.

lucablight

First Grade
The rivalry will never die. Too much history and geographical close to each other to wane.

But I hope the dogs remain down the bottom for another 4-5 years. It's been refreshing to see there fans basically cop a decade in the doldrums.

There is nothing more annoying then bulldogs fans up and about.

With a long period of being down the bottom the moment they rise up they will be louder then ever after.
In all fairness Parramatta is geographically close to most Sydney teams.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I though Greed had a reasonable game. Wasnt smashed like his previous V Eels game. Nothing flash but he was far from their worst. Crichton was gash as was Burton and Hutchinson. Ive always liked Mann even b4 he shared a cubicle with Kaylan. He has to be a starter. The WGD (Salmon) was average to poor. Did any ex Panthers play well?
What annoyed me the most was how many Dogs supporters were allowed in. Surely we should set a limit? They very very vocal early.
So good to be back at the footy. I love our home ground.

Latest posts