What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: 2022 Non Parra games - Buy a beanie for cancer rd

Noise

Coach
A number of year ago under Mary the Dragons defensive structure was very passive. They would give up 60 meters every set because they sat back and waited for the attack to come to them. They actually put a body in front and made their tackles, they just gave up too much field position. their missed tackle stats weren’t bad but it wasn’t effective. I don’t reckon that would be classified as chasing the collision (in fact it was probably the extreme opposite) even though they made their tackles.

I have actually heard the Walker brothers suggest something similar. Their thinking is time with the ball is the key. So they let opposition roll through their set real quickly. They give up a heap of territory but their theory is the set is quick so they will get the ball back and attempt to hold it for longer. They also thought post contact meters were a joke of a stat and were happy with plenty of lateral / sideways play because it increased time with the ball. I don’t think any NRL club will hire them.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
Think of it in terms of cars. If one ran into the other you’d happily call it a crash or a collision or would you insist on the same qualifiers?
Weaker than piss. It depends on the severity of it, as the definition suggests.

Using your own analogy, if I’m reversing my car and accidentally tap the car behind me I’m not calling that a crash or collision.

That hypothetical wouldn’t happen though, I’m a f**king great reverse parker.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
A number of year ago under Mary the Dragons defensive structure was very passive. They would give up 60 meters every set because they sat back and waited for the attack to come to them. They actually put a body in front and made their tackles, they just gave up too much field position. their missed tackle stats weren’t bad but it wasn’t effective. I don’t reckon that would be classified as chasing the collision (in fact it was probably the extreme opposite) even though they made their tackles.

I have actually heard the Walker brothers suggest something similar. Their thinking is time with the ball is the key. So they let opposition roll through their set real quickly. They give up a heap of territory but their theory is the set is quick so they will get the ball back and attempt to hold it for longer. I don’t think any NRL club will hire them.
I reckon you need to strike a balance between first impact, hitting and sticking, and then being in an effective position to wrestle. If your mantra is simply “chase the collision”, I think footy players default to as big a first contact as possible. It’s dumb shit footy players we’re talking about here. I think it’s why our missed tackle stats are shit.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon you need to strike a balance between first impact, hitting and sticking, and then being in an effective position to wrestle. If your mantra is simply “chase the collision”, I think footy players default to as big a first contact as possible. It’s dumb shit footy players we’re talking about here. I think it’s why our missed tackle stats are shit.
You think “chase the collision” is all he says to players?

FFS.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I have actually heard the Walker brothers suggest something similar. Their thinking is time with the ball is the key. So they let opposition roll through their set real quickly. They give up a heap of territory but their theory is the set is quick so they will get the ball back and attempt to hold it for longer. They also thought post contact meters were a joke of a stat and were happy with plenty of lateral / sideways play because it increased time with the ball. I don’t think any NRL club will hire them.
Absolute bullshit. If you are putting bodies in front of players and making tackles two things are fairly certain:

1. A collision of some description is inevitable.
2. Teams don’t march down the field.

Don’t try and out-derp your 4 Pines swilling mate.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No but I reckon it’s drummed into them all week and it’s one of the last things BA says before they run out.
What exactly is drummed into them?

As I said right at the start, I reckon it would be predominantly about ensuring you are ready in defence and don’t miss tackles just like Bellamy said.

Anything else is pure speculation tbh.

hindy111

Post Whore
I did like how when I quoted your Panthers post and put it in the Panthers forum you then started hanging shit on the Panthers.

That was pretty funny…

You massive merkin. I've been very sick from a powerful virus that would wipe out most men and thought I posted that in the Parra forum. Your playing with my delerium.

This is more like it
What exactly is drummed into them?

As I said right at the start, I reckon it would be predominantly about ensuring you are ready in defence and don’t miss tackles just like Bellamy said.

Anything else is pure speculation tbh.
Well it's not chase the cuddle. Or even chase the tackle. It's chase the collision because he wants heavy contact. And that may be fine.