What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons why Melbourne are hated

mightybears

Bench
i think they are great just now, beat the red hill wankers and the best chance to make sure manly don't win the gf!

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Here is a question..."what do you like about Storm ??". Try answering that in a logical manner to balance your bias.
They are undeniably a superb team, with a roster full of exceptionally talented players.

With this being said, there is a widespread perception that they owe much of their dominance in the last few years to their mastery of techniques that are not actually illegal, but which the majority of league fans find reprehensible.

Just as importantly, they do not seem courteous in either victory or defeat. To the Storm fans who insist that people only dislike them because of their dominance - look at Roger Federer in tennis. Look at the Australian teams of the John Eales era in rugby. The Chicago Bulls of the 90s. None of these illicited the kind of hate and controversy that the Storm currently attract, and all three were arguably more dominant. Basic courtesy and humility can go a long way to making opposition fans warm to you, and the Storm seem to have very little of either.

sass

Juniors
I hate melbourne because they are a team full of dirty queenslanders. BOO HISSSSS QUEENSLANDERS.

in other news, I also hate the broncos, if anyone's wondering. dirty queenslanders, booo hisss.

sass

Juniors
This shows how pathetic and shallow you are...this is the thread to beat all threads.

Storm wins the game and you come out with this garbage.

Here is a question..."what do you like about Storm ??". Try answering that in a logical manner to balance your bias.

Ok I will try and help out here.

What I like about the Storm:

..............thinking..............

f**k...ummmmm.................

ok ok I thought of something.

here goes...ummmm I like that
the Storm are not my team and
I don't have to watch them....

............ummm what else......
f**k to hard.

The dirty grubs,
f**king wrestling freaks. Grappling,
chicken winging toss tools of the
highest order. Above the rules thanks
to a news limited run manopoly.

Disgraceful fan base, who cannot even
be gracious in victory.

Slater is a cat of the highest order.

Bellamy is an idiot. Cost NSW the Origin
get rid of him.

Oh oh, Im sorry it slipped out

Red Bear

Referee
Where do i begin on the Storm?

I hate their dirty grappling ways, as was well and truely shown last night
I hate their captain, Cameron Smyth, wo turned into a complete sook last night as his team seemingly self destructed, and is cheif grappler.
I hate Billy Slater, an absolute f**king clown. Tamping on Skandalis a few years back, being the big tough man and laying punches into nightingale this year (a player being held back by two other storm players no doubt), being a cocky little merkin whos most famous moment he was offside for.
I hate the clubs CEO, for being an arrogant tosser, and the previous man in charge, Ribot, for being a cancerous growth on the game

Finally, however, i hate that my f**king club, the one around for 92 seasons, which was then booted due to debt in one season (due to circumstances such as weather for f**ks sake) got kicked out of the comp despite being about to be moving into a growth area to help rugby league, whilst this scummy transplanted queensland side gets a massive leg up in Melbourne, and is supported and kept in the comp DESPITE losing 6 million f**king dollars a season. 6 million a season! Its already an outrage that half the money the nrl generates goes to News whilst half goes to the game itself (arl). That 6 million of the money that NEWS gets goes to supporting their f**king club is a disgusting display of the scummy element in our game today. f**k the storm, f**k their fans and f**k their city.

Shorty

Staff member
Im as queensland as they come, but if Billy "Little man Syndrome" Slater isnt the biggest f**kwit in rugby league, then im not here! I never thought id hate queensland players, i never have before, but Slater and Smith can get f**ked.

f**k Melbourne
Yep I feel exactly the same way
I hope he never wears an Origin jersey again.
Right there Shorty, that Inglis No-try was real boring!!

What is it with some people? Two teams play a hard and intense game last night that every Rugby League fan should have enjoyed. How hypocritical is it that the same fans who accuse the Storm of being whingers are now whinging their heads off on this forum.

Get over it!
Ern they're not whinging their head's off they're saying why they hate your club.
So...get over it:roll:

t1tan

Juniors
They are undeniably a superb team, with a roster full of exceptionally talented players.

With this being said, there is a widespread perception that they owe much of their dominance in the last few years to their mastery of techniques that are not actually illegal, but which the majority of league fans find reprehensible.

Just as importantly, they do not seem courteous in either victory or defeat. To the Storm fans who insist that people only dislike them because of their dominance - look at Roger Federer in tennis. Look at the Australian teams of the John Eales era in rugby. The Chicago Bulls of the 90s. None of these illicited the kind of hate and controversy that the Storm currently attract, and all three were arguably more dominant. Basic courtesy and humility can go a long way to making opposition fans warm to you, and the Storm seem to have very little of either.

Excellent post,SOTS youve summed it up brilliantly!

Joker's Wild

Coach
I hate melbourne because they are a team full of dirty queenslanders. BOO HISSSSS QUEENSLANDERS.

in other news, I also hate the broncos, if anyone's wondering. dirty queenslanders, booo hisss.

Bwahahahaha so true sassy, so true.

The Cam Smith/Jerremy Smith tackle on Thiaday sums up my feelings towards the purple clad butty boys - thuggerish scum bags.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Most teams in the league could be considered a franchise beacuse they all have players from other area's, states, countries. Its a fact of life right now in the nrl as a whole.
As for the Victorian players well there are 9 in the under 20's squad if i recall correctly and when you look at the fact that the storm has been around only 11 years that is a good effort. The junior game is growing stronger and stronger each year which is only good for the game as a whole. Give it another 5-10 years and the strom will be bringing quite a few more locals into the game.
As for players living down here well Robbie Kearns and Stephen Kearny are still down here after their playing days working with the club so i say thats a good starting point.

It might be a "fact of life" that "all have players from other areas", but all these clubs don't have ALL their players from other areas. How many VRL players are in the Storm 1st Grade side every week? One? Or is it two? That many? The introduction of Melbourne in to the comp seemed like a great move, at the time (I thought so, anyway) as it brought RL to victoria, in 1st grade exposure. But the positives of Melbourne, as they appeared in the the late 90's, have been more than offset by the negatives. The Storm sucks too much money from the comp, and has consistently brought truly negative play to the game to be worth the experiment.

Don't get this wrong, Vic RL fans are fantastic, more power to them. But the Storm are just not cost effective to the game. They simply cost the NRL too damn much, and bring not nearly enough back to the game- not "The Storm", the GAME. If the fans could be as "passionate" about the junior club comp, as they appear to be about News Ltd Storm, then maybe it would be worth it.

Where is all that money from the NRL going? The supposed "great inroads into Vic" aren't that great, when one examines the balance sheet, and considers the improvements that could be made, with that money, to existing junior bases, and future potential, where talent and support would flow freely. Nine juniors are in the Storm under 20's? How many of these guys are going to actually end up in the Storm 1st grade roster? Another 1 or 2?

It's been 10 years. The Storm should be fielding a majority of locals by now (and taking the results as they come, even if it means missing the 8), not draining the pool from Qld and NSW. There are only a dozen junior RL clubs spread across the entire of Vic. The under 16's comp for VJRL 2008, consisted of only 6 teams. The acheivement of the Melbourne franchise, and Vic RL, by any normal club standard, could be considered a success. But it isn't a normal club. It is News Ltd's special baby.

I suspect that Vic has hit the ceiling in expanding league where it really counts, junior level. Vic/Storm is about where I had hoped they would be by now, after introduction in 98. The finals/GF appearences are above expectations. But that expectation was based upon Melbourne either standing alone as a franchise, OR fielding a hell of a lot more locals, than what they have.

For the disproportionate amount of money that Storm takes, from the NRL, Victoria should be producing it's OWN players. No, 10 years is not a "long time". But for the $$$, it is plenty. If the NRL has to pour so much into Vic, then put it into the junior comp, and quit propping up another Qld team based in Melbourne.

Last edited:

sass

Juniors
I'm not convinced that the Great Victorian Revolution will ever happen, or that the storm in melb is a brilliant idea - but to play devil's advocate for a sec, I think 10 years is too short a time frame if you're talking about them playing with a majority of victorian juniors.

yes there's league in victoria, but the trickle down effect of having a first grade side, kids turning to league and older kids pursuing league takes longer than a decade. IF the experiment works, I think it will take at least two decades to see the benefits, not one.

choiceayebro

juniors

woah! an entire post where you aren't shamelessly whoring your sh*tty blog about sexy footballers. im amazed! well done.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Basically this thread in summary - Bla bla bla - my team got kicked out of the comp because of the storm, bla bla bla Storm are ruining the game with their wrestling tactics.

Welcome to life, its full of things that aren't perfect. But its only a game of footy geez.:crazy:

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I have to admit resenting the Storm for your club being kicked out of the comp is pretty poor.
That's not the Storm's fault,blame SL.

I hate Melbourne don't get me wrong,but they belong in the game and are growing an area RL needs to get a stronghold over.

StormChaser

First Grade
Yep I feel exactly the same way
I hope he never wears an Origin jersey again.

Ern they're not whinging their head's off they're saying why they hate your club.
So...get over it:roll:

Sorcy, if you had a whole forum slinging sh*t on your precious if inept Cowboys, you'd feel exactly the same. Storm are the new whipping boys of the League, all because you jealous haters can't stomach what an awesome side they are.

Boo fecking Hoo!! The only whining is coming from you nuffies. We're supporting our team. GET OVER IT!!

sass

Juniors
woah! an entire post where you aren't shamelessly whoring your sh*tty blog about sexy footballers. im amazed! well done.

oh honey no. can you not read? it's not just about sexy footballers. it's also about fatties, rangas, how much we enjoy violence, and - sometimes - actual football.

but yes, I am a shameless blogwhore, so you got one thing right. good for you baby.

Red Bear

Referee
SL = News Limited, owners of Melbourne, a club that would not exist without 6 million dollars being pumped in every season by said organisation.

Im not blaming melbourne. I resent Melbourne as they are a club that exists despite losing 6 million a year, and the only reasons they are kept alive is because a) They are in an 'expansion area' and b) they are getting massive amounts of money pumped into them by News Limited, half owners of the NRL.
In the case of my club we lost alot of money in our last season, as the stadium we were building got delayed due to the rain FFS, leaving us without a home. We of course satisfied part a. were were helping to expand the game, but we got booted despite it being a short term loss that could've/would've been turned around. This of course being due to the uneven playing field, with us not sucking some Murdoch c**k at the right time. Now i obviously blame NEWS for all this, as they created the uneven playing field in the first place, but there is some large resentment there given we were never given the same oppertunity the filthy grappling merkins from down south have been

pnub

Juniors
It might be a "fact of life" that "all have players from other areas", but all these clubs don't have ALL their players from other areas. How many VRL players are in the Storm 1st Grade side every week? One? Or is it two? That many? The introduction of Melbourne in to the comp seemed like a great move, at the time (I thought so, anyway) as it brought RL to victoria, in 1st grade exposure. But the positives of Melbourne, as they appeared in the the late 90's, have been more than offset by the negatives. The Storm sucks too much money from the comp, and has consistently brought truly negative play to the game to be worth the experiment.

Don't get this wrong, Vic RL fans are fantastic, more power to them. But the Storm are just not cost effective to the game. They simply cost the NRL too damn much, and bring not nearly enough back to the game- not "The Storm", the GAME. If the fans could be as "passionate" about the junior club comp, as they appear to be about News Ltd Storm, then maybe it would be worth it.

Where is all that money from the NRL going? The supposed "great inroads into Vic" aren't that great, when one examines the balance sheet, and considers the improvements that could be made, with that money, to existing junior bases, and future potential, where talent and support would flow freely. Nine juniors are in the Storm under 20's? How many of these guys are going to actually end up in the Storm 1st grade roster? Another 1 or 2?

It's been 10 years. The Storm should be fielding a majority of locals by now (and taking the results as they come, even if it means missing the 8), not draining the pool from Qld and NSW. There are only a dozen junior RL clubs spread across the entire of Vic. The under 16's comp for VJRL 2008, consisted of only 6 teams. The acheivement of the Melbourne franchise, and Vic RL, by any normal club standard, could be considered a success. But it isn't a normal club. It is News Ltd's special baby.

I suspect that Vic has hit the ceiling in expanding league where it really counts, junior level. Vic/Storm is about where I had hoped they would be by now, after introduction in 98. The finals/GF appearences are above expectations. But that expectation was based upon Melbourne either standing alone as a franchise, OR fielding a hell of a lot more locals, than what they have.

For the disproportionate amount of money that Storm takes, from the NRL, Victoria should be producing it's OWN players. No, 10 years is not a "long time". But for the $$$, it is plenty. If the NRL has to pour so much into Vic, then put it into the junior comp, and quit propping up another Qld team based in Melbourne.

Ok first lets get one thing straight. The storm are owned and propped up by News Limited not the nrl at there own expense. And before you say they give nothing back to the nrl look at the simple fact that the nrl can demand more money for both sponsorships and TV rights (if it ever got its act together, and yes I know that’s News fault as well) simply because they are now in the Melbourne market with near 4 million new and potential people to see either the game or the sponsors product in the game. Its called a long term goal both for the nrl and for News, while they would both love the storm to be self sufficient news is more than prepared to cover the loses while enjoying a new market for both rugby league and their products. And before you say there isn't much of a new market thanks to the afl well before the storm I followed the afl and had no interest in league and now I don't watch the afl at all and follow the storm and nrl with a passion and I have quite a few friends that are the same so obviously its working.

Take the 2006 grand final near enough to 1 million people watched it in Melbourne which is a real win for the nrl seeing that either nearly more or more than the amount who watched it in Sydney. And that’s with the nrl doing absolutely nothing for the storm and the game in Melbourne. Before you argue do you have any idea of the sh*t we go through in Melbourne in regards to TV coverage??? We are lucky to get the Friday night game before midnight even though the deal states that it has to be played before midnight. Look at last night we were in a do or die semi final and it wasn’t on until AFTER MIDNIGHT. So yes the nrl really do a lot to make the game grow in Melbourne, just to see our team play they make us stay up until after Midnight even in the finals. So thank you NRL for all your effort. If the NRL were serious about growing the game in Melbourne they’d take channel 9 to task over their coverage and make damn sure that it was on at a user friendly time where it could attract even more supporters and potential players

As for the Juniors they have been in the comp 10 years and the amounts they have in the under 20’s now is a good showing of that as it proves that kids that were 8-10 when the storm first come in now 10 years later are in the under 20’s team. Hard concept for you to understand it would seem that it actually takes years for these kids to grow up and league in Victoria is expanding every single year.

Finally lets look at the players we have poached from other states. Well quite a few of them would never have had been the nrl players they were without the storm. Matt King is the perfect example if it wasn’t for the storm poaching him would have never played nrl. There are also a whole other heap of more mature players that the storm has given a lifeline in the nrl when other clubs haven’t