What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 45 21.8%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Brad Fittler

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Allan Langer

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 12.1%

• Total voters

_Johnsy

Referee
Pigskin said:
post your age with your selection ... i'm 38 and was only a kid when Lewis began his career

I would expect everybody voting Johns never saw Lewis and are slanted heavily in favour of the player they have seen play

Do another poll of people my age or older with state allegiances aside and you'd get a radically different result

Lewis is so far ahead of everybody in the last 30 years its laughable he should be compared to those mentioned above - well in my world anyway

To those claiming Lewis had no skill ... thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

I suppose its like saying Rod Laver had no power and Roger Federer has loads, so Federer must be better ... yes, thats how intelligent you sound

I don't pretend to be able to intelligently compare players to Fulton, Langlands, Raper, Irvine etc ... but I can compare Lewis and Johns and they are yawning chasms apart

My opinion only
Oink !

Pig I'm 37 and while I agree that Lewis was a genius on the field, Johns has him covered in every single department, most notably workload in attack and defence. Again, only an opinion.

Dazzat

First Grade
For me Wally Lewis comes third.

He also comes second and first.

Strip away the media hype and Andrew Johns may scrape in at fourth.

Ryan

Juniors
Loyalty = Steve Menzies
Longetivity = Steve Menzies
Most Tries EVER by a forward = Steve Menzies
Top 5 OVERALL number of Tries of all time = Steve Menzies
Has played: Fullback, Centre, 5/8, 2nd row, Lock & Interchange = Steve Menzies
Has never had an indescretion off the park = Steve Menzies
Has a VERY low injury toll = Steve Menzies
A player NON Manly fans can respect = Steve Menzies
Played for City / NSW / Australia - Check
Has captained a side long term - Check

For me lads, it can only be Menzies. He was offered more $$$ to play for Parra. He was offered more $$$ to play in the ESL.

His type of player is a real dying breed. Other current players in that great player type category (one clubmen):-

Nathan Hindmarsh
Cameron Smith (very early to say I know)
Danny Buderus
There are one or two at every club. The heart and the soul of the place. Also seasoned Internationals....but you get the drift.

Ryan said:
Loyalty = Steve Menzies

For me lads, it can only be Menzies. He was offered more $$$ to play for Parra. He was offered more $$$ to play in the ESL.

His type of player is a real dying breed. Other current players in that great player type category (one clubmen):-

Nathan Hindmarsh
Danny Buderus
There are one or two at every club. The heart and the soul of the place. Also seasoned Internationals....but you get the drift.

:lol: :lol:
What a wankfest.

_Johnsy

Referee
Dazzat said:
For me Wally Lewis comes third.

He also comes second and first.

Strip away the media hype and Andrew Johns may scrape in at fourth.

Someone only knows what the biased qld feed them. I can understand the need to stick up for another qld'er, but the above comment is ignorant in the extreme. Are you serious ?

Mortar

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
The fact of the matter is that the Sydney comp, was a far superior competition in those days. If you think otherwise you are dreaming and yes I had seen the QLD comps back then.

You mention that 7 were from the QLD comp in the 1981 invincibles toring team
just backs up my argument as the touring squads in thiose days were around 26 to 28 playerts. That is by far the majority of players were from the HSWRL irrespetive whether they were QLD or NSw born.

May I suggest your wisdom has been dimmed by bias and not too many who were around then would support your view but you are entitled to it.

Anyway, we will agree to disagree about the merits of the Brisbane comp back then.

The person who mention Webke, yep I forgot about him and would be the best prop along with Lazzo I have seen.

You keep saying that the Bris comp was a substandard competition and yet 25%, not 5% or 2%, 25% of the 1982 invincibles were from that competition. If it was so crappy how in the hell did any of them get in? Did they sneek into the team by osmosis? :sarcasm:

I did not say the brl was superior that is your dyslexic mind at work but it's plainly obvious that you have never seen the brl.

Either you have not a clue how good the comp was or you're just full o' shyte... i think it is a combination of both.

Whats Doing

Bench
Mortar said:
You keep saying that the Bris comp was a substandard competition and yet 25%, not 5% or 2%, 25% of the 1982 invincibles were from that competition. If it was so crappy how in the hell did any of them get in? Did they sneek into the team by osmosis? :sarcasm:

I did not say the brl was superior that is your dyslexic mind at work but it's plainly obvious that you have never seen the brl.

Either you have not a clue how good the comp was or you're just full o' shyte... i think it is a combination of both.

What a F*^ken idiot you are. You would know what games I have seen, played or coached. Now the name Mortar sounds like you are as close to as thick as a brick.

You have completely gone off the topic as to who is the best player is over the last 30 years and I suggest you keep to the topic.

Lets say you were choosing a team of Players from last Thirty Years Your Pick..... then My pick --AT THEIR PEEK . Who would you choose first ,knowing you might miss out next pick on your next favourite ?My first pick would be Mal Maninga .... Then Brett mullins (remember we're talking at their peek) Then would be Andrew Johns But as he might not still be there it'd be Ricky Stewart ,Or Allan Langer ,or Mcgrady Then Id have to pick a great Forward .. Ray Price Probably Gone so Id Pick Tawera Nikauw,... etc etc

What a great Idea ....Just like school-- Pick a team.I alwayspicked my mates then but Im not so stupid now .

Ryan said:
Loyalty = Steve Menzies

Beaver is 2nd greatest try scorer of all time.

He is 5th on the amount of games played. He will surpass Fittler into 2nd place behind Lamb if he plays 15 games in 08.

RalthFilthy

Juniors
I said Brett Kenny earlier, but with the age thing I'll mention what my old man told me a few years ago, probably will have to double check one day to make sure.

He reckons Langlands was the best player he had seen followed by Reg Gasnier, he didn't rate Raper as high but he was/is a Newtown supporter so maybe some sour grapes. He reckoned Brad Clyde could've been the best if he wasn't so injury prone. He also thought Lewis was over rated, from what I've seen I'd agree. I'm not saying he was crap, just over rated. He was a good captain and leader and could do most things well on the field but was never the greatest player, he was just so competitive that he'd always try to find a way to win. So I couldn't say he was the best player, best player to me means mostly talent and skill, not just leadership.

Conclusion.
Me 30+ = 1.Brett Kenny 2.Sterlo 3.Lazarus - they would be the 3 I'd pick, if I had to make a team to win a comp.
Old man 60+ = 1.Langlands 2.Reg Gasnier 3.Churchill

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ryan said:
Loyalty = Steve Menzies

Nathan Hindmarsh
Danny Buderus

I agree. And you can also add Nathan Cayless to that list of one-clubmen.

perverse

Referee
i'm 22 and can't go past joey as the best i've seen. nothing i can say that hasn't already been said. the heights and occasions he rose to, the consistancy, the defence, the brain, the skill, the kicking.. the way he somehow made everyone else around him play above and beyond their own ability. he really had it all. there was not a single weakness in his game. the complete footballer.
not to take away from any that have been mentioned in this thread.. all unbelievable talents and some of the greatest names in our game - particularly wally.. what a freak. but they all still fall short.

one day i'll get to tell my kids that i got to watch Andrew 'Joey' Johns play his entire career, and relive so many amazing moments from the comfort of my rocking chair. i feel unbelievably privileged to be able to say that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well...I would say Joey's temper could be classified as a weakness. Sometimes, when things weren't going his way, he'd lose direction and focus.

Still - maginificent player. Just not as good as Webcke. :ls: :p

Slackboy72

Coach
RalthFilthy said:
Conclusion.
Me 30+ = 1.Brett Kenny 2.Sterlo 3.Lazarus - they would be the 3 I'd pick, if I had to make a team to win a comp.
Old man 60+ = 1.Langlands 2.Reg Gasnier 3.Churchill

My dad has Reg at #1. And he's watched league for 70+ years.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
perverse said:
i'm 22 and can't go past joey as the best i've seen. nothing i can say that hasn't already been said. the heights and occasions he rose to, the consistancy, the defence, the brain, the skill, the kicking.. the way he somehow made everyone else around him play above and beyond their own ability. he really had it all. there was not a single weakness in his game. the complete footballer.
not to take away from any that have been mentioned in this thread.. all unbelievable talents and some of the greatest names in our game - particularly wally.. what a freak. but they all still fall short.

one day i'll get to tell my kids that i got to watch Andrew 'Joey' Johns play his entire career, and relive so many amazing moments from the comfort of my rocking chair. i feel unbelievably privileged to be able to say that.

Sterling had everything Johns had except more control over the game and when things got tough he dug in and didn't blow up. Maybe didn't have the same aggression in defence but he did make plenty of great grassing tackles.

Mortar

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
What a F*^ken idiot you are. You would know what games I have seen, played or coached. Now the name Mortar sounds like you are as close to as thick as a brick.

You have completely gone off the topic as to who is the best player is over the last 30 years and I suggest you keep to the topic.

Have a cry you big sook. You comments are shown to be what they are bullsh*t.

And as for "names" your name is totally appropriate for you as you have no f**king idea of what's going on.

Bigfella

Coach
Loyalty = Steve Menzies

But:

Best player in the last 30 years does NOT = Steve Menzies.

Latest posts