What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

Stagger eel

Staff member
What changes would you make Stagger?

* I'd put sio on the right wing

* sandow ahead of Kelly

* lussick at lock

* I'd start kleppa in the backrow, although I understand he'd still be a lite underdone

* my bench would be Peni, allgood, Kenny E and gower

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm happy to give everyone a go who is in the team, but I think this team list raises more questions than it answers.

* Who will kick goals?
* Who will play in the middle out of Smith, Mau and Edwards?
* If Tanginoa doesnt play we're replacing an edge player with a middle player on the bench?
* What role besides head skipper will Joseph Paulo play?
* Are we really lining up Vai Toutai against big Manu?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I like Vai, but I know he's been dreadful in First Grade.

But even I think Morgan or Sio should have played over him.

Having said that, I know we all like to blame him for his shit defense, but I think he's not always to blame. A lot of the time, his inside men don't communicate and he comes off his wing to help and he leaves himself exposed to an overlap.

I hope the Paulo listed is Junior and not Joseph. I don't mind Joe Paulo - he has talent. But I think we really need some size up front against the Warriors, and Junior offers that.

To be honest, I am pretty happy with that side. I'd have liked to have seen Morgan or Sio on the wing and Lussick maybe starting, but other than that, I am happy.

hindy111

Post Whore
Lussick at lock and tanginoa starting makes sense stagger but both have been injured so maybe off the bench is good.
I thought i recall you saying Gower was bog average lol? May of been someone else.

I too prefer Sio, BUT Vai has made NSW under 18's and under 20's side and Phil gould ive heard say he likes something about this kid.Reckons he is an unpolished gem ;)

emjaycee

Coach
The only players in the 1-13 who have kicked goals in FG are Hayne back in 2006 (he kicked 2 @ 40%) and Norman who has kicked less than 6 at 50% accuracy.

Mmm - hope someone has been doing some practice in the off season.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm happy to give everyone a go who is in the team, but I think this team list raises more questions than it answers.

* Who will kick goals?
* Who will play in the middle out of Smith, Mau and Edwards?
* If Tanginoa doesnt play we're replacing an edge player with a middle player on the bench?
* What role besides head skipper will Joseph Paulo play?
* Are we really lining up Vai Toutai against big Manu?

I reckon Smith will play in the middle, Edwards on the right, and Ma'u on the left.

I think Norman can kick, and I recall somebody telling me Peats can kick, too. Joseph Paulo is a handy kicker.

Paulo, like it or not, is an extra playmaker. He needs to put his head down and do more hard-nosed runs IMO, but he can create headaches if he has bodies in motion backing him up.

Funnily enough, Toutai has more NRL First Grade experience than Radradra, and on paper, that might be a better reason to let him mark up against The Beast.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Lussick at lock and tanginoa starting makes sense stagger but both have been injured so maybe off the bench is good.
I thought i recall you saying Gower was bog average lol? May of been someone else.

I too prefer Sio, BUT Vai has made NSW under 18's and under 20's side and Phil gould ive heard say he likes something about this kid.Reckons he is an unpolished gem ;)

IMO Gower is nothing special, but he gets the job done. Tackles and runs all day, but he probably isn't the most efficient.

I like Toutai, but I don't think he deserves a spot over Sio tbh.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also - did anyone else watch the video?

Kelepi took so long to walk to his spot and cross his arms, that by the time he started to cross his arms, they faded him out and moved onto the next player!

:lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just watched Arthur's interview - Semi and Toutai are in the side because they're big bodies who offer a lot on kick returns and can finish off tries.

Fair enough, IMO.

caylo

Bench
* I'd put sio on the right wing

* sandow ahead of Kelly

* lussick at lock

* I'd start kleppa in the backrow, although I understand he'd still be a lite underdone

* my bench would be Peni, allgood, Kenny E and gower

Sio I agree but it is nice to see backrowers at lock rather then a prop, last year I think our forward pack lacked mobility with lussick and terepo in the backrow.
I know it's not the popular choice but I think Kelly is more suited to the line up then sandow who attacks much wider meaning we are short direction through the middle of the field.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sio I agree but it is nice to see backrowers at lock rather then a prop, last year I think our forward pack lacked mobility with lussick and terepo in the backrow.
I know it's not the popular choice but I think Kelly is more suited to the line up then sandow who attacks much wider meaning we are short direction through the middle of the field.

Kelly, I think, is solid if unspectacular. Sandow is his polar opposite.

But the thing that Sandow has proven is that, when he is on song, he can win you games almost on his own. Luke Kelly is still inexperienced, but he is more of a steadying influence than a genuine match-winner.

Having said that, with Hayne, Hopoate and Tonga, we have some genuine weapons, so as long as Peats and Norman can help Kelly control the game, we should be sweet.

Really looking forward to seeing Ma'u and Edwards.

shiznit

Coach
Pretty decent side imo...

Looks like Arthur has picked a side who handle them physically.

I'm quietly confident we can cause problems for them...

If the warriors players are going in as cocky as some of the fans... They could be in for a massive shock...

Just a question on Kelly... Did Arthur have anything to do with him when they were down in Melbourne?? Or were they around at different times??

I wonder if Arthur may have spotted him early...

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore

If the warriors players are going in as cocky as some of the fans... They could be in for a massive shock...

I agree. I was a little bit confused by the lineup, but overall, I am happy. Looks like a strong, physical pack and we have some size and speed in the backs.

lingard

Coach
Just watched Arthur's interview - Semi and Toutai are in the side because they're big bodies who offer a lot on kick returns and can finish off tries.

Fair enough, IMO.

My question would be: "And Ken Sio?"
Anyway, I trust this coach for the moment. And I'm impressed that he isn't doing what everyone expects him to do. That must take guts for a rookie coach.

lingard

Coach

Just a question on Kelly... Did Arthur have anything to do with him when they were down in Melbourne?? Or were they around at different times??

I wonder if Arthur may have spotted him early...

Yes, Arthur coached Kelly in the lower grades at Melbourne, evidently.

Latest posts