What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 1 vs Warriors

Eelementary

Post Whore
My question would be: "And Ken Sio?"
Anyway, I trust this coach for the moment. And I'm impressed that he isn't doing what everyone expects him to do. That must take guts for a rookie coach.

In my eyes, Sio is the first winger picked. And I agree that he provides strong kick returns.

Maybe Arthur wanted the bigger Radradra and Toutai to take some sting out of the Warriors' bigger backs by running at them? I am not sure.

All in all, I am happy. BRING ON THE FOOTY!!!!

Chipmunk

Coach
Pretty decent side imo...

Looks like Arthur has picked a side who handle them physically.

I'm quietly confident we can cause problems for them...

If the warriors players are going in as cocky as some of the fans... They could be in for a massive shock...

Just a question on Kelly... Did Arthur have anything to do with him when they were down in Melbourne?? Or were they around at different times??

I wonder if Arthur may have spotted him early...

I believe Luke Kelly was captain and halfback of the Storm Under 20s team that Brad Arthur coached to a Premiership

shiznit

Coach
I believe Luke Kelly was captain and halfback of the Storm Under 20s team that Brad Arthur coached to a Premiership
Yeah... I thought that might have been the case... Because I remember Mooks saying something about Arthur identifying a lot of talent down in Melbourne...

So then I'm not surprised he's given him the reigns.

I actually think this could be a good thing for the club long term. Not so much for Sandow... And the shitload of coin he's on...

But I like that move... Arthur is the bloke with his balls on the line... Why shouldn't he go with a kid he's more familiar with.

It's the old saying... 'Better the devil you know...'

Craig Johnston

First Grade
My question would be: "And Ken Sio?"
Anyway, I trust this coach for the moment. And I'm impressed that he isn't doing what everyone expects him to do. That must take guts for a rookie coach.

well at least it's not a decent name like hayne hoppa mannah peats norman etc...

i'm pumped those players have made it safely for round 1, can't wait.

caylo

Bench
Kelly, I think, is solid if unspectacular. Sandow is his polar opposite.

But the thing that Sandow has proven is that, when he is on song, he can win you games almost on his own. Luke kelly is still inexperienced, but he is more of a steadying influence than a genuine match-winner.

Having said that, with Hayne, Hopoate and Tonga, we have some genuine weapons, so as long as Peats and Norman can help Kelly control the game, we should be sweet.

They are polar opposites but that is the only part I agree with the rest i disagree with. Kelly is a distributor either with his short kicking game or passing game but he had an average long kicking game. sandow on the other hand is a runner with a poor passing and short kicking game but he does have a good long kicking game.
For someone to be a true match wonder they need to have both a good running game and passing game. Even someone like Scott Prince who was chastised for a lack of a running game was much better then sandow in that department. Both Kelly and sandow are equally average but sandow just seams more spectacular because his more explosive. I think Kelly suits Hayne and Norman more as he plays tighter and will be able to distribute to hayne, Norman, hoppa or Tonga. If Norman gets injured then I think sandow is a decent backup or replacement for him but I don't think they will work together.

Eelementary

Post Whore
They are polar opposites but that is the only part I agree with the rest i disagree with. Kelly is a distributor either with his short kicking game or passing game but he had an average long kicking game. sandow on the other hand is a runner with a poor passing and short kicking game but he does have a good long kicking game.
For someone to be a true match wonder they need to have both a good running game and passing game. Even someone like Scott Prince who was chastised for a lack of a running game was much better then sandow in that department. Both Kelly and sandow are equally average but sandow just seams more spectacular because his more explosive. I think Kelly suits Hayne and Norman more as he plays tighter and will be able to distribute to hayne, Norman, hoppa or Tonga. If Norman gets injured then I think sandow is a decent backup or replacement for him but I don't think they will work together.

I disagree.

Sandow is a match winner not because of his kicking or passing (although he's the best 40-20 exponent in the code), but because of his running game. He tore the Warriors apart in round 1, and he set up several tries last year by taking the line on.

For instance, Joseph Paulo scored a try under the sticks against Brisbane at Pirtek because Sandow ran to the line and offloaded to an unmarked Paulo.

Luke Kelly has no real long kicking game or running game to speak of, has an adequate passing game (certainly no better than Sandow's) and has a decent short kicking game. I'm not sure I'd classify them both in the same category.

Sandow is very inconsistent, but he's more of a match-winner than Kelly.

I don't mind Kelly, though.

caylo

Bench
I disagree.

Sandow is a match winner not because of his kicking or passing (although he's the best 40-20 exponent in the code), but because of his running game. He tore the Warriors apart in round 1, and he set up several tries last year by taking the line on.

For instance, Joseph Paulo scored a try under the sticks against Brisbane at Pirtek because Sandow ran to the line and offloaded to an unmarked Paulo.

Luke Kelly has no real long kicking game or running game to speak of, has an adequate passing game (certainly no better than Sandow's) and has a decent short kicking game. I'm not sure I'd classify them both in the same category.

Sandow is very inconsistent, but he's more of a match-winner than Kelly.

I don't mind Kelly, though.

I guess we agree to disagree but you mind if just helped my argument, sandow had had moments of brilliance but not consistent. He is high risk, while he is a good exponent of the 40/20 the other 90% of the time he gives up good field position by kicking early and often the opposition start on the 30meter mark.
Sandow is never going to throw that killer pass or build pressure, he might set up the odd try when the defence is retreating while Kelly is able to help build pressure giving others time and space. So for me Kelly provides just as much as sandow, neither are going to be the difference between a top 8 or top 4 let alone decide a finals game.

Joely01

Bench
Not 100% happy with this side.
Vai why????
Sio for mine should be there.
Paulo why??? Offers nothing.

Few other changes if make like Sandow at half.

Ben smith I wouldn't have there, but can see why BA has named him.

Toutai seems a strange pick, but who knows what team will actually run out on the day? Happy to let the coach do his thing and see if works at this stage.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not 100% happy with this side.
Vai why????
Sio for mine should be there.

Toutai's as good as the other two options (Sio and Radradra) and one had to miss out.

Paulo why??? Offers nothing.

If he offered nothing he wouldn't be in the side.

Few other changes if make like Sandow at half.

I prefer Sandow, but I trust the coach knows better than me.

Ben smith I wouldn't have there, but can see why BA has named him.

Another edge forward who is about the same level as some of the others. A better defender than other options but the least effective in attack. Remember the right side guy has to cover the number seven in defence.

I think no one can complain about the side picked unless they have been at every training run and trail match during pre season. Let the coach pick the side and see how they go before making comments. We are all too quick to judge here.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I guess we agree to disagree but you mind if just helped my argument, sandow had had moments of brilliance but not consistent. He is high risk, while he is a good exponent of the 40/20 the other 90% of the time he gives up good field position by kicking early and often the opposition start on the 30meter mark.
Sandow is never going to throw that killer pass or build pressure, he might set up the odd try when the defence is retreating while Kelly is able to help build pressure giving others time and space. So for me Kelly provides just as much as sandow, neither are going to be the difference between a top 8 or top 4 let alone decide a finals game.

I agree with your last point.

I suppose with Kelly, you know what you get. But Sandow...he could win you the game single-handedly, or he could cost you the game with poor options and bad defense.

I'm happy with Kelly for now, but for the future, we need to do better than both Sandow and Kelly.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee underwhelmed at the side picked, i hope they prove me wrong.

Besdies Hayne,Hoppa,Peats,Mannah,Fui and Norman it looks a went quality side.

Pazza

First Grade
not a bad little team but i can see guys like Loko, Mossop, Jnr Paulo, Hunt etc forcing their way into the team with time.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
As suggested, I reckon Ben Smith will be the middle back rower and I think will make a good fist there. Not my choice either but with a few key injuries (Loko, Mossop & Jnr Paulo) he is probably filling the spot for the moment as a best case scenario.

I am a little disappointed that Vai got the other wing spot, not cause he can't do it, I think is will end up offering just as much as the other guys, but instead I was warming to the idea of Folau making his debut and jumping the queue by impressing all those who matter. Hopefully he gets his shot real soon and in the mean time he and Pauli (and Santi @ Wenty) go kick an arse in the meantime.

Psyched to see Ma'u get first pop at in the back row. I have a feeling off that try he scored in the 9's at short range he will be a real hard ass for us and along with Kelepi (and hopefully Loko real soon) will simple run riot.

Parraren

Bench
Bit meh about Kelly. Still think he's bog average but then we managed to make a GF with Robson at 7 so who knows...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There are a few questionable selections, Toutai is the obvious one, much preferred Morgan and Sio over him.

The backrow?? Well Edwards is older than everyone thinks so I suppose spending most of 2013 in reserve grade might help his performance.

Smith I hope can go back to 2009 form. Probably a big ask Mau getting a starting spot on debut but Arthur has faith in him.

Apart from that I think its our best team.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 17 changes on game day.

I think the big difference will be our new buys Hopoate, Norman and most notably Peats.

Latest posts