What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RND 2 vs ROOSTERS

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He'd never come here - why would he join us from the Premiers? -, but in an ideal world, I'd move heaven and hell to get him here. He is an animal.

And that's the problem with the salary cap. We could get him for sure if we threw enough money at him, but then we'd be paying him more than he's worth. If we're paying overs then the rest of the squad won't be up to scratch. The vicious circle continues.

Buying stars is not the way forward for a club like ours. We need to find a proven hard merkin at the end of his career (i.e. we need to take a risk) like when Des brought Ben Kennedy to Manly in '05. He had missed 35 games to injury over the previous three years, so he was a risk, but a risk that paid off. And because of his age and his injury history there wouldn't have been too much interest in him, keeping his price reasonable.

This is the kind of risk we need to take, not throwing half our salary cap at a star in his prime, that every club wants.

Someone

Bench
It's disappointing that alot of us have similar thoughts like this after just round 2.

i knew as soon as he (hayne) was punching the ground after their second try what was coming. Its like a flat circle. Its not just a physical toughness we need, but mental toughness. That roosters side beat manly with only scoring 4 points last year. that is pure will power.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah for sure, a dry track would have been a different game.
Ma'u, Edwards, Lussick and Tanginoa are supposed to be our tough merkins I believe.

Ma'u and Edwards are not senior enough to be getting up their soft team mates. Lussick definitely fired up tonight though. I don't think Tanginoa will ever be the agro type, though he doesn't need to be.

Agree that Smith and Fuifui were the worst forwards tonight.

Interested to know how you know how much these blokes are on?

I know what factors contribute to a player's salary, and seniority at a club is a big one.

Tim should be on reasonable coin as he is one of the Captains. I'm sure that you'd agree that being Captain is more than being an angry merkin on the field but would have plenty to do with nurturing the young blokes coming through.

I think any good leader needs a mean streak, and Mannah lacks that, IMO. Agree he's tough and a great ambassador, but it's not enough in this game. We need better leadership.

Chipmunk

Coach
And that's the problem with the salary cap. We could get him for sure if we threw enough money at him, but then we'd be paying him more than he's worth. If we're paying overs then the rest of the squad won't be up to scratch. The vicious circle continues.

Buying stars is not the way forward for a club like ours. We need to find a proven hard merkin at the end of his career (i.e. we need to take a risk) like when Des brought Ben Kennedy to Manly in '05. He had missed 35 games to injury over the previous three years, so he was a risk, but a risk that paid off. And because of his age and his injury history there wouldn't have been too much interest in him, keeping his price reasonable.

This is the kind of risk we need to take, not throwing half our salary cap at a star in his prime, that every club wants.

I think the Panthers have done this buying Brent Kite.

Haynzy

First Grade
Ma'u and Edwards are not senior enough to be getting up their soft team mates. Lussick definitely fired up tonight though. I don't think Tanginoa will ever be the agro type, though he doesn't need to be.

I know what factors contribute to a player's salary, and seniority at a club is a big one.

I think any good leader needs a mean streak, and Mannah lacks that, IMO. Agree he's tough and a great ambassador, but it's not enough in this game. We need better leadership.

Fair enough.
I see Mannah as a lot like Cayless was. He wasn't particularly mean but in my opinion was a good leader.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i knew as soon as he (hayne) was punching the ground after their second try what was coming. Its like a flat circle. Its not just a physical toughness we need, but mental toughness.

Exactly. Apologists could say he was showing how much he hates to lose, but that was just the problem - it wasn't even half time and he was conceding defeat. Very disappointing reaction.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair enough.
I see Mannah as a lot like Cayless was. He wasn't particularly mean but in my opinion was a good leader.

I'm not sure Cayless was such a good leader. If he was I don't think he would have lasted that long under Brian Smith.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm not sure Cayless was such a good leader. If he was I don't think he would have lasted that long under Brian Smith.

Pou, you need to get over your dislike of Brian Smith because he didnt listen to the advise you gave him one day that he didnt listen to on how to run the Parramatta NRL team...

Haynzy

First Grade

I don't know, I'm not that close to the internal machinations of the cub.
Under Cayless we made a Grand Final and won numerous Club Championships.
Guys certainly put in for Cayless and Brian Smith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, you need to get over your dislike of Brian Smith because he didnt listen to the advise you gave him one day that he didnt listen to on how to run the Parramatta NRL team...

Actually I think he was a brilliant coach. His teams consistently overachieved, but I think he had a fatal character flaw related to leaders in his playing group.

I'm just trying to be objective. If I didn't rate Smith I wouldn't read his website.

Sphagnum

Coach
The only thing worse than getting done by 50 is having to endure the post mortem from all of you 'experts'

#stfupouyoumoron

Eelementary

Post Whore

I see what you're saying.

In my opinion, we are lacking two things:

(1) leadership [imo Hayne is improving as a captain, but we are lacking a forward leader]; and

(2) a big, aggressive, powerful prop a la JWH. While the whole Roosters pack contributed, he showed why explosive and aggressive props are so vital IMO.

We have Lussick who can go a way to fixing issue (2), but I don't think he's explosive enough. He has the size and aggression, but look at how JWH catapults himself into the line, and watch how he smashes people in D.

We were outclassed and outmuscled, but the worrying thing for me is that we don't have a winning mentality. Obviously winning two spoons in consecutive years affects that, but we simply need to do better. I mean, I'm probably biased and optimistic, but the way we finished that first half made me think we could make a genuine fist of the match. And then they capitulated.

It saddens me to say it, because they're two of my favourite players, but Smith and Moimoi need to move on.

Tonga had a shocker - a one-off, perhaps? We will see.

Edwards was ineffective, but it's to be expected, playing way put of position.

Paulo...he did some good things, but why does nobody push up in support when he runs the ball? On at least three occasions he ran and exposed gaps, but nobody was running off him. It's irritating, because then he gets tackled and he's only run sideways - but had somebody been running off him, we would have had a full or half break on our hands.

Ma'u tried hard but was largely average.

Tanginoa got no time.

Mannah was poor.

Allgood...#facepalm

Semi and Vai are young and tried hard, and they added something, but the way we were tore to shreds, they can't do much.

Hopoate was strong.

Normand and Kelly were dreadful. Wrong options, poor kicking and poor defence, to boot.

Hayne...tried hard but didn't lead the side. Going Ito half-time, we were hitting our straps. We should have come out of the break really pumped, and we blew it.

I don't know what the answers are, but I'm envious of the Roosters for that pack.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm frustrated. We have a lot of potential in this side, and a lot of rookies. And the Roosters are CLASS.

But their attitude sucks. It's not acceptable. And I hope it's made clear.

Djay

Juniors
I see what you're saying.

In my opinion, we are lacking two things:

(1) leadership [imo Hayne is improving as a captain, but we are lacking a forward leader]; and

(2) a big, aggressive, powerful prop a la JWH. While the whole Roosters pack contributed, he showed why explosive and aggressive props are so vital IMO.

We have Lussick who can go a way to fixing issue (2), but I don't think he's explosive enough. He has the size and aggression, but look at how JWH catapults himself into the line, and watch how he smashes people in D.

We were outclassed and outmuscled, but the worrying thing for me is that we don't have a winning mentality. Obviously winning two spoons in consecutive years affects that, but we simply need to do better. I mean, I'm probably biased and optimistic, but the way we finished that first half made me think we could make a genuine fist of the match. And then they capitulated.

It saddens me to say it, because they're two of my favourite players, but Smith and Moimoi need to move on.

Tonga had a shocker - a one-off, perhaps? We will see.

Edwards was ineffective, but it's to be expected, playing way put of position.

Paulo...he did some good things, but why does nobody push up in support when he runs the ball? On at least three occasions he ran and exposed gaps, but nobody was running off him. It's irritating, because then he gets tackled and he's only run sideways - but had somebody been running off him, we would have had a full or half break on our hands.

Ma'u tried hard but was largely average.

Tanginoa got no time.

Mannah was poor.

Allgood...#facepalm

Semi and Vai are young and tried hard, and they added something, but the way we were tore to shreds, they can't do much.

Hopoate was strong.

Normand and Kelly were dreadful. Wrong options, poor kicking and poor defence, to boot.

Hayne...tried hard but didn't lead the side. Going Ito half-time, we were hitting our straps. We should have come out of the break really pumped, and we blew it.

I don't know what the answers are, but I'm envious of the Roosters for that pack.

Pretty accurate, what get's me is how Toutai and Semi escape criticism over their horrible defensive reads? They catapult out of the line everytime and come in, leaving a huge gap out wide and any smart team who plays us will know just to throw it wide to their winger.

It f**king irritates me and they did it last week and escaped but any hall decent team will crucify us for it. They need to work on it big time and has been a problem with us for the past couple of years.

Latest posts