What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

Bench
I'm the biggest advocate of not getting carried away with Jersey Flegg players, especially since the new comp made even less of a priority of actually tackling. But Miller is different. He's a footy player. He's got heart. He'll make it, and be a star, given half the opportunities far less players in our side have been given.
I agree,and I hope it is sooner rather than later,hate to lose this kid.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Info from another forum so I am just repeating it, but apparently the club rates both Lui and Sironen higher than Miller at this stage. Miller is still a priority and the club don't want to let him go: both he and Sironen have progressed at a faster rate than the coaching staff anticipated.

If Lui does leave it won't be the club forcing him out, it will be because he wants to leave.

I'm not deriding Lui, nor am I defending him. He will certainly NEVER get a shoulder injury from tackling. BUT he is only 21 years old, and he is playing alongside a genius, some footballers develop sooner than others .... IE Lawrence & Benji. And given the amount of time & opportunities he has been given, maybe (just maybe) we should persevere with him before throwing someone even younger in like Miller ???

magpie_man

Juniors
the two things that the tigers need from a halfback - a strong kicking game and good organising skills - lui simply doesn't offer.
he's very talented and i'm sure he'll make a great 5/8th, heck, even halfback, under a different club's structure but it's simply not going to work at the tigers.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
the two things that the tigers need from a halfback - a strong kicking game and good organising skills - lui simply doesn't offer.
he's very talented and i'm sure he'll make a great 5/8th, heck, even halfback, under a different club's structure but it's simply not going to work at the tigers.

You are probably right, I'm just trying to make some sense of it all???

leichhardt

Juniors
I am all for blooding the young new talent & I really hope Miller gets his chance & succeeds.

However, we all know many of these kids struggle to make the transition to NRL & many require quite a few games under their belt to gain confidence. Not every kid turns out to be Cherry-Evans.

The question is how many games are we as fans, prepared to grant whilst he & others go through their transition? I find that we are way too critical of the young guys & expect far too much far too soon.

One year is enough. Lui has to go.
He is a liability in defense and a bad decoy in attack.

leoc

Juniors
If you guys needed convincing that Lui is out of his depth then the performance tonight against the Roosters should be enough for you. Bloody awful is the only way I can describe his performance!!

If you guys needed convincing that Lui is out of his depth then the performance tonight against the Roosters should be enough for you. Bloody awful is the only way I can describe his performance!!

Lol leo..

I've seen enough...

Dive on the ball for christ sake...why try and pick it up?? Bloody hell...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
let in one try, and his defence letting in another which was called back was pathetic.

i've had enough of him, he stunts our attack and handicaps our defence.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
let in one try, and his defence letting in another which was called back was pathetic.

i've had enough of him, he stunts our attack and handicaps our defence.

My observations of last nights game are as follows:-
Things that changed
A) I thought Ryan had a good allround game, scored a try
B) Moltzen saved a try by actually tackling
C) Welcome back Lote and Utai
Things that didn't change
A) Robert Lui....I'm sorry, but that was a disgraceful "effort". Someone in this forum (sorry can't remember who??) keeps banging on about Lui "running into gaps in defence" = LOL & absolutely spot on assessment IMO, not just on last nights performance but always. I know he is a halfback & not out there to do the heavy work, he is out there to organise in attack & do his share of defence. IMO he does neither. He couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery & as for his defence, don't get me started.
If we didn't have alternatives to Lui then fair enough, but we do, it's just that Sheens can't see it.... IMO we could do a lot worse than Moltzen at 7, but if Sheens is looking to the future then get Miller in there & leave him there, anyone but Lui PLEASE

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've said that many times MT (Lui running at the gap between two players)

Several times last night he jogged up to the line, going sideways slowly and does something that reminded of a former tiger halfback.

It took last nights double header at 7.30 on Fox to spot it.

John Morris and Lui have something in common, they slowly jog sideways at a slowly advancing defence, he dummies and then passe to the person he dummied to, just as the defence meets them, usually when the edge defenders have stayed back and are thin in numbers.

A quick cut out pass to a centre or winger hitting ball at pace could be enough to create an opportunity. but no.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
i've said that many times MT (Lui running at the gap between two players)

Several times last night he jogged up to the line, going sideways slowly and does something that reminded of a former tiger halfback.

It took last nights double header at 7.30 on Fox to spot it.

John Morris and Lui have something in common, they slowly jog sideways at a slowly advancing defence, he dummies and then passe to the person he dummied to, just as the defence meets them, usually when the edge defenders have stayed back and are thin in numbers.

A quick cut out pass to a centre or winger hitting ball at pace could be enough to create an opportunity. but no.

Thought it was you but wasn't sure, very good assessment of his 'style' and also very funny. To be fair to Lui if he could tackle, or at least try to tackle, then I could probably live with him at 7 for now, but FFS he is the worst tackler I have ever seen in the NRL. At Least Soward & Sandow try, they aren't good at it but they have a go. That effort he made on the Roosters hooker last night was embarrassing, he had him & just let him go. Luckily it was called back for offside or we probably lose again??? And there were numerous other occasions where he "ran at the gap" in defence & came up with no-one (as usual) as the Roosters raced downfield. It aint rocket science for the opposing coaches, just get one on one with Lui = clean break/and or a try

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I'm obviously in the minority but did not think Lui was that bad last night.

IMO he played better than Farah did.

Like the majority of young halves he struggles badly when isolated in defence but that is normal.

Bag away...

Vicious

Bench

Like the majority of young halves he struggles badly when isolated in defence but that is normal.

Bag away...

I agree HT. Every side has atleast one half that doesn`t defend all that well one on one, but the difference is that the better performing sides make sure their weaker defenders are very rarely isolated.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I agree HT. Every side has atleast one half that doesn`t defend all that well one on one, but the difference is that the better performing sides make sure their weaker defenders are very rarely isolated.

Marshall also missed a bad tackle that lead to a try but of course that did not cop the same vile that Lui does.

Farah kicked out on the full (again) and took more than one wrong option in attack, but again, not a word said.

It was only a few years ago that Marshall's defence was equally as terrible as Lui's is right now. People have short memories. Benji's D eventually got better and better, as will Lui's. Sure, Marshall will never be a great defender, but he is not in the team to tackle. Scott Prince was also a terrible defender.

Right now I don't see another option. Let Miller finish the year out in NYC as they have a big chance of winning the thing, who else is there? Moltzen, who will not even be here next season? No thanks.

For the record, I thought Lui should have been dropped for a week or two about a month ago, but it did not happen, and it will not happen now.

Marshall also missed a bad tackle that lead to a try but of course that did not cop the same vile that Lui does.

Farah kicked out on the full (again) and took more than one wrong option in attack, but again, not a word said.

It was only a few years ago that Marshall's defence was equally as terrible as Lui's is right now. People have short memories. Benji's D eventually got better and better, as will Lui's. Sure, Marshall will never be a great defender, but he is not in the team to tackle. Scott Prince was also a terrible defender.

Right now I don't see another option. Let Miller finish the year out in NYC as they have a big chance of winning the thing, who else is there? Moltzen, who will not even be here next season? No thanks.

For the record, I thought Lui should have been dropped for a week or two about a month ago, but it did not happen, and it will not happen now.

Hybrid,

The difference is that Farah and Marshall actually contribute to the team. They are the reason we win games, same as Lawrence and Ellis. You will never see them criticized by us. But Lui offers zero in attack and even less in defense. He deserves every spray he gets and a little bit more.

Borat.

Juniors

Bag away...

I haven't watched the replay but from the hill he looked "sensational" in defence .... well sensational for him. Only saw him miss one tackle...If he continues to play like he did last night we will go deep into the semis

macnaz

Staff member
Hybrid,

The difference is that Farah and Marshall actually contribute to the team. They are the reason we win games, same as Lawrence and Ellis. You will never see them criticized by us. But Lui offers zero in attack and even less in defense. He deserves every spray he gets and a little bit more.

SPOT f**kING ON !!!! :clap:

Vicious

Bench
I don`t know what game some of you were watching, but I know Robert Lui came up with one try assist as did Benji, but Farah didn`t look at all dangerous with the ball in hand which was a surprise because he is usually the King of Leichhardt when we play there.

The Rosco

Bench
Righto.

Time for a laugh.

In today's Sunday Telegraph, The man of the match accolade was given to a Wests Tigers player that made " 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 5 runs for 36 mtrs, 1 offload, 1 tackle bust, 3 kicks for 142 mtrs, and 16 tackles"

Now . . . crack a tinny, roll a spliff or chop up . . . whatever gets you happy while I tell you that the WT player was none other than R. Lui.

The reporter, James Hooper, makes no mention of missed tackles, side-on step-away tackle attempts, schoolboy butchering of tries or defensive vortexes and numbering up black holes.

macnaz

Staff member
Righto.

Time for a laugh.

In today's Sunday Telegraph, The man of the match accolade was given to a Wests Tigers player that made " 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 5 runs for 36 mtrs, 1 offload, 1 tackle bust, 3 kicks for 142 mtrs, and 16 tackles"

Now . . . crack a tinny, roll a spliff or chop up . . . whatever gets you happy while I tell you that the WT player was none other than R. Lui.

The reporter, James Hooper, makes no mention of missed tackles, side-on step-away tackle attempts, schoolboy butchering of tries or defensive vortexes and numbering up black holes.
LOL :lol: Maybe there is a hidden agenda at the tele Rosco , why else could they be that f**king wrong in picking a Man Of Match ?

Latest posts