What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross Smart

Some people just don't seem to be able to come to terms with the election result...

Hey the results are in from the election, we all know who won, and congratulations to them.

I think your mistaking some people holding club to account with some form of bitterness or stubbornness.

Put simply, the election result was one step on the road to change, and there are many more required afterward.

Many on this board have discussed the need for increased sponsorship revenue. Since the 2005/2006 Jacqueline Magney article about the incomes of NRL clubs, which showed our club a distinct last in terms of sponsors revenue we have all realized that the NRL side is wholly reliant on grants from the leagues club, many beleive this is due to this poor sponsorship and low membership / ticketed income.

With that in mind and the continued impact of, the forced restructure of the clubs business model had put on its bottom line, along with external factors like the GFC's effect on home prices, many questioned the effectiveness of the Marketing Manager of the time.

It was discussed at great length whose responsibility it was, and while overall it was Denis, a large number of us, with links to business or sports sponsorship heard many a tale about the Marketing Manager and his methods, the comments from those people were not in the over all positive.

The stated goal of those who have now been elected, by the vast majority, and the man they have appointed as the face of the club is to acknowledge the strong status of the club and to tweak some of the areas that needed tweaking. I took that to mean that a review of operations would take place and where required changes would take place.

Until the article I mentioned, a number of us believed that the Marketing Manager would be one area of change. However with Mr Kenny's comments his future seemed assured and assistance would be sort.

We are now a year away from those heady days, which allows us all to look back with 20/20 hindsight, and like the vast majority did during the election, put the decisions to the harsh light of scrutiny.

AFAIK we have signed 2 new noticeable sponsors since the Elections, Pain Away and Prizefighter. Pain Away comes with Danny Green and his association with the club, Prizefighter is associated to the club via Justin Poore's signage.

I know Stagger has hinted to a staged set of annoucements leading into the new season about our new respective sponsors, and some may well not be annouced yet, or indeed want to be on our kit but I hope they come through, as they were promised to us by the new board and its spokes people and will go a long way to making our club independant from the leagues club, and the much ditested poker machines.

There has been no mooted dollar value on either contract. Prize Fighter as far as I know is only a sponsorship on the training kit and Club Polo shirts. So again those of use that want to see all sectors of the club thrive, need to ask what is happening, instead of

a) sitting back and letting the control of your club, so prized and desired at last election slip,

or

b) chalk up all dissenting voices to ill will.

Either get off the bench and get in the game, or stop hurling abuse from the cheap seats.

sooty

Juniors
Hey the results are in from the election, we all know who won, and congratulations to them.

I think your mistaking some people holding club to account with some form of bitterness or stubbornness.

Put simply, the election result was one step on the road to change, and there are many more required afterward.

Many on this board have discussed the need for increased sponsorship revenue. Since the 2005/2006 Jacqueline Magney article about the incomes of NRL clubs, which showed our club a distinct last in terms of sponsors revenue we have all realized that the NRL side is wholly reliant on grants from the leagues club, many beleive this is due to this poor sponsorship and low membership / ticketed income.

With that in mind and the continued impact of, the forced restructure of the clubs business model had put on its bottom line, along with external factors like the GFC's effect on home prices, many questioned the effectiveness of the Marketing Manager of the time.

It was discussed at great length whose responsibility it was, and while overall it was Denis, a large number of us, with links to business or sports sponsorship heard many a tale about the Marketing Manager and his methods, the comments from those people were not in the over all positive.

The stated goal of those who have now been elected, by the vast majority, and the man they have appointed as the face of the club is to acknowledge the strong status of the club and to tweak some of the areas that needed tweaking. I took that to mean that a review of operations would take place and where required changes would take place.

Until the article I mentioned, a number of us believed that the Marketing Manager would be one area of change. However with Mr Kenny's comments his future seemed assured and assistance would be sort.

We are now a year away from those heady days, which allows us all to look back with 20/20 hindsight, and like the vast majority did during the election, put the decisions to the harsh light of scrutiny.

AFAIK we have signed 2 new noticeable sponsors since the Elections, Pain Away and Prizefighter. Pain Away comes with Danny Green and his association with the club, Prizefighter is associated to the club via Justin Poore's signage.

I know Stagger has hinted to a staged set of annoucements leading into the new season about our new respective sponsors, and some may well not be annouced yet, or indeed want to be on our kit but I hope they come through, as they were promised to us by the new board and its spokes people and will go a long way to making our club independant from the leagues club, and the much ditested poker machines.

There has been no mooted dollar value on either contract. Prize Fighter as far as I know is only a sponsorship on the training kit and Club Polo shirts. So again those of use that want to see all sectors of the club thrive, need to ask what is happening, instead of

a) sitting back and letting the control of your club, so prized and desired at last election slip,

or

b) chalk up all dissenting voices to ill will.

Either get off the bench and get in the game, or stop hurling abuse from the cheap seats.

Mits,

Shouldnt the new regime be given a period of time to establish the position that they have "promised". There was a great honeymoon period with the big run home however a new season is on us and time will tell. As we all know and I read everyday on the threads IMO we are in a better position based on playing strength alone. Will the LC and the FC follow suit I most certainly hope so. Results will speak louder than actions.

P.S Mr Kenny is he the old geography teacher from Parramatta High

mickdo

Coach

I wouldn't call wild speculation about Edge getting the arse followed by the dredging up of pre-election comments by a director who is no longer one as 'holding the club to account', I'd call it wild speculation

I think your aim is a little off

Mits,

Shouldnt the new regime be given a period of time to establish the position that they have "promised". There was a great honeymoon period with the big run home however a new season is on us and time will tell. As we all know and I read everyday on the threads IMO we are in a better position based on playing strength alone. Will the LC and the FC follow suit I most certainly hope so. Results will speak louder than actions.

P.S Mr Kenny is he the old geography teacher from Parramatta High

Absolutely, I think 9 months to a year is plenty of grace period. They are lining up for their 2nd NRL season, the first one they have had to plan for, I think now more than any time is the time to expect some of the much requested changes to the club, that the new members of both boards were voted in to deliver.

We await with baited breath those changes.

Suitman

Post Whore
Absolutely, I think 9 months to a year is plenty of grace period. They are lining up for their 2nd NRL season, the first one they have had to plan for, I think now more than any time is the time to expect some of the much requested changes to the club, that the new members of both boards were voted in to deliver.

Mark,

I agree, 9 months to a year is a good perod of time for them to have made or implemented plenty of their promises.

Is there an area of change that you would like to see from promises made by 3P that haven't been implemented yet, or are there areas you think should take prority?

Suity

Mark,

I agree, 9 months to a year is a good perod of time for them to have made or implemented plenty of their promises.

Is there an area of change that you would like to see from promises made by 3P that haven't been implemented yet, or are there areas you think should take prority?

Suity

While it seems fan initiatives are going well , there is not a great deal that can be done on that front until the season starts and we see, competitively what sort of access we get to the events at the club. The memberships packages have been squared away for this season so apart from maybe a concession membership to the B&G Army, things are looking peachy on that part.

So the priority right now should be the sponsorship and the back office. 3P were known to tout, they they had many sponsors lined up, awaiting their control of the club and the removal from power of Denis Fitzgerald and his "Cronies". I find it hard to believe the caveat that 3P needed complete control of the League club for those sponsors to come through is holding any sponsor back, especially if we consider the run we had to the finals last year and the outstanding proposition sponsorship would be for any company considering the Prime exposure our first home game should achieve. I hope there are more than a few $20,000 sponsors signing up at the moment.

fish eel

Immortal
TBH, I think 12 months, once annual reports etc start coming out is probably a good time to reflect on how things are going.

I mean....the new guys are CEO havent even had a full NRL season in charge yet.....

sooty

Juniors

Mits,

Remember they are still confined to the contractural requirements of the previous board. Things wont turn substantially overnight. Small positive steps would be great and IMO they will need time. Above all our team needs to fire then maybe some problems may go away.

Mits,

Remember they are still confined to the contractural requirements of the previous board. Things wont turn substantially overnight. Small positive steps would be great and IMO they will need time. Above all our team needs to fire then maybe some problems may go away.

True, but these would be consideration and not road blocks. If a sponsor wanted in, for example like Pain-away, there were many avenues for them to do so, like the constant name dropping, the logo on the B&G army Banner at the GF and eventual replacement of Denlo Subaru on the Shorts for the GF. Now they have taken up the spot on our Sleeve, so there is nothing to stop another company from coming in on the same tactic of high visibility leaning into the clubs sponsorship. Indeed it would seem our club is quite adapt at doing in.

sooty

Juniors
True, but these would be consideration and not road blocks. If a sponsor wanted in, for example like Pain-away, there were many avenues for them to do so, like the constant name dropping, the logo on the B&G army Banner at the GF and eventual replacement of Denlo Subaru on the Shorts for the GF. Now they have taken up the spot on our Sleeve, so there is nothing to stop another company from coming in on the same tactic of high visibility leaning into the clubs sponsorship. Indeed it would seem our club is quite adapt at doing in.

Mits,

What the????

Suitman

Post Whore
To quote Fishy over many years.

Where there is a will there is a way.

If they want to be a sponsor, they will do like Pain-Away did.

As was previously stated Mark, contracts may prevent what you wish to happen.
Once these contracts have served their time though, it should be open slather, and that's when I'll be expecting substantially better sponsorship dollars pouring into the club......as 3P promised..

Suity

sooty

Juniors
Once these contracts have served their time though, it should be open slather, and that's when I'll be expecting substantially better sponsorship dollars pouring into the club......as 3P promised..

Suity

Suity,

Ditto

Suity

Having worked in sponsorship, there is one word you will never hear. That word is NO.

If people want in, then they will be accommodated , if they are a bigger fish, then that accommodation will be overt.

Indeed Money talks all languages.

sooty

Juniors
Having worked in sponsorship, there is one word you will never hear. That word is NO.

If people want in, then they will be accommodated , if they are a bigger fish, then that accommodation will be overt.

Yes and isnt this the argument I still dont understand the pain away link?

Suitman

Post Whore

So Mark, say if someone like ANZ Bank came in and offered half a million a year more than Pirtek? You think Parramatta would tell Pirtek to go away, or offer them something less than what their contract currently states?

I don't think so.
I think Mickdo was right yesterday.

Suity