What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Cowboys

BIG RIG

Juniors
COWS will have no Feldt and no Taumalolo

They will also have potentially - Tabuai Fidow , Nanai , Holmes and Cotter backing up from Origin 1 only 2 days after the game

We Will have Hunt and Sims

Hunt is a must IMO and has to push through the tiredness to play

Sims can be rested considering both Jaydn Su’a and Josh McGuire are due back

dungay dragon

Juniors
Thinking/Hoping Sullivan will be given the 2 weeks to run the side at training and start 7 against the Cows , with Hunt sharing the 9 with Macca , and still having the influence to steer the side but lessen his work load through Origin..
Bit of a test for Hook over the Origin period...Negative step if he goes with an Mbye option

mickeylane

Bench
Thinking/Hoping Sullivan will be given the 2 weeks to run the side at training and start 7 against the Cows , with Hunt sharing the 9 with Macca , and still having the influence to steer the side but lessen his work load through Origin..
Bit of a test for Hook over the Origin period...Negative step if he goes with an Mbye option
This is a game we are expected to lose so I say trial Sullivan at 7 .. nothing to lose ..

justadragon

Bench
overall it will be hard to see what the team looks like, I reckon it wont be settled until Origin 1 is played, depending if our players would want to back up also maybe injuries. I would love to see Sullivan at 7 but if Hunt says he is good to go, then he will be the 7. I would have thought this period would have been a perfect opportunity to bring Sullivan in, the kid is just slashing ressies and we need to give him a shot, and soon.

Dragon David

First Grade
overall it will be hard to see what the team looks like, I reckon it wont be settled until Origin 1 is played, depending if our players would want to back up also maybe injuries. I would love to see Sullivan at 7 but if Hunt says he is good to go, then he will be the 7. I would have thought this period would have been a perfect opportunity to bring Sullivan in, the kid is just slashing ressies and we need to give him a shot, and soon.
It will be interesting to see how Hunt pulls up after a full game in SOO 1. Maybe Hook might see it as an opportune time to put Sullivan in at 7 seeing that the game against the Cowboys will be played 2 days after SOO. It is good that Hunt has been chosen as the hooker in SOO - goes to show that Slater sees him in a 9 jersey. Why doesn't Hook?

justadragon

Bench
It will be interesting to see how Hunt pulls up after a full game in SOO 1. Maybe Hook might see it as an opportune time to put Sullivan in at 7 seeing that the game against the Cowboys will be played 2 days after SOO. It is good that Hunt has been chosen as the hooker in SOO - goes to show that Slater sees him in a 9 jersey. Why doesn't Hook?
Agree Dave, even after his showing last year he would always be seen as a 9 or a fill in 7 incase of injury and you notice that this year he has been selected at 9, not off the bench. Surprised he would be ahead of Grant, but maybe that would change. Also as far a Hook goes he would just say that Hunt is now leading the Dally M voting from 7, so its all justified that he should be there. :)))

True_Believer

Juniors
Maybe he does, but the timing might be all wrong. Don't forget that you will have 2 competent experienced halves in the origin team - 2 of the most consistently performing halves with an already established combination who should be able to run the game with whoever they put in at hooker. You have Hunt in the 9 who is also performing well at 7 in the club games. Hunt doesn't have to run the game given the experience around him and he can just play his game.

Spin that on it's head for club games and you have Hunt at 9 with a pretty much rookie spine for the rest of the positions. It puts massive pressure on Hunt to guide and ensure the rest of the spine is performing. It's better to have him at 7 and Macca at 9 and bring them through in bits. Amone had a slow start but I think is looking to be more confident. Ramsay looks to be making a fist of the fullback although I think needs more work/time. Sullivan has been playing off the bench as hooker which places a heap of fatigue on him in defence. He probably relishes the break from the middle and it showed on the weekend - he definitely looks to be improving and was a standout on the field. Sloan definitely needs more work and can work on his game in the reggies.

We may see a gradual transition towards the end of the year or early next year. As I mentioned in another post, Cleary had 4 or so established and experienced halves playing with him over years, before Luai was introduced. The same thing is happening here. Just need to give it time.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some very interesting team selection scenarios coming up.

1. There is a KOE Cup game this Friday v Panthers. So, does Bud play in this to get more game time? Or is he cotton-woolled for the following week.
2. IF Hunt plays hooker in SOO for any more than 60 mins then unlikely he would back up.
3. The combo of Mbye and Macca, I thought worked well, does it continue in this format?
4. Sims definitly won't back up, abd I believe Sua will be ok to play.
5. Maguire also will be ready to return, where does he play? Does he go to thevedge with Sua with Bird to Lock and JDB to the middle, or does come off the bench? Or does he play lock and JDB to middle?
6. We dont know the extent of Rava's hammy strain as yet, and I thought Moga was ok yesterday.

SOO always throws up some interesting selections and we are somewhat lucky to only have 2 possible outs, the Cows will have seversl who may try to back up, especially in the backs. But, the 'intensity' of Origin 1 will detetmine that.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Yep, hoping for Sullivan at 7, Hunt at 14 if he backs up.

mickeylane

Bench
This is the game that i think Hook could start Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at 7 especially after Hunt would have played 60 odd imin as the starting hooker in SOO 1... He will be well oiled to go striaght to 9 w the Dragons