What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Sea Eagles vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th March 5:30pm @Lottoland

callmack1

Staff member
From News Corp,

Damien Cook has gone from the NRL’s most dangerous dummy half to a player whose ranking as the game’s best No.9 is legitimately under fire.

While Cooper Cronk caused a stir recently when he put the heat on Adam Reynolds for not aiming up when it matters most, Cook should consider himself lucky he has escaped more scrutiny.

But the problem for South Sydney is that Cook’s forgettable round one performance against Melbourne has again exposed a considerable chink in the Rabbitohs’ armour.

Damien Cook needs to step it up if Souths are to be a real premiership force.

Cook was meant to be the hooker who would most benefit from the NRL rule changes that were designed to speed up the ruck.

Instead Fox Sports Stats show that Cook has not gone close to delivering on those expectations.

And it’s in the matches where Cook runs the least that Souths struggle most.

In the four games in the past season where Cook has had three runs or less, the Rabbitohs have lost all.

Those matches included the round one loss to Melbourne (2 runs for 19m), last year’s preliminary final against Penrith (1 run for 6m), round four last year against Melbourne (2 runs for 32m) and against Brisbane in round two (1 run for 4m).

While Cook’s performance against the Storm had little impact, Brandon Smith had seven runs for 78m, totally outpointing Australia’s Test hooker.

Admittedly Cook was playing behind a pack that was dominated by the Storm’s big men, but even so, the Rabbitohs rake was way below his best.

What has happened to Cook’s famous running game?

It would have to be a growing concern for Wayne Bennett especially coming on the back of last year’s prelim final where Cook not only had a limited impact running the ball but also came up with that crucial missed tackle which allowed Isaah Yeo to set up the match winning try.

In the two earlier finals matches against Newcastle and Parramatta, Cook ran for 155m and 133m respectively.

But then you go back to the 2019 preliminary final against Canberra and Cook only had three runs for 19m and again came up with a crucial tackle miss when he got steamrolled by Josh Papalii for the match clinching try.

Cook’s stats also show that he averaged a career-high 90m in 2018 which dipped to 43m in 2019 and jumped back up to 63m last year.

There is no doubt opposition teams are targeting him more than ever and markers are clearly pushing the boundaries by not always standing square to close down Cook’s options.

But that’s not going to change judging by what the refs are allowing.

So Cook, and Souths for that matter, need to find a way to break the shackles or it is going to seriously limit one of their most dangerous attacking weapons as the season rolls on.

Cook’s position as the premier hooker in the game is under real threat.

There is a justified concern that Cook’s confidence has also suffered because of the questionable tactics being used to nullify his running.

But he also has to take ownership of the situation and find a way to fix it.

With Cameron Smith retired, Cook had earned the right to go into this season ranked as the game’s top hooker given he’s the NSW and Kangaroo incumbent.

But he’ll need to pick up his act if he’s going to stay there with the likes of Harry Grant, Brandon Smith and Api Koroisau chasing hard, while Englishman Josh Hodgson is also back from injury.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
From News Corp,

Damien Cook has gone from the NRL’s most dangerous dummy half to a player whose ranking as the game’s best No.9 is legitimately under fire.

While Cooper Cronk caused a stir recently when he put the heat on Adam Reynolds for not aiming up when it matters most, Cook should consider himself lucky he has escaped more scrutiny.

But the problem for South Sydney is that Cook’s forgettable round one performance against Melbourne has again exposed a considerable chink in the Rabbitohs’ armour.

Damien Cook needs to step it up if Souths are to be a real premiership force.

Cook was meant to be the hooker who would most benefit from the NRL rule changes that were designed to speed up the ruck.

Instead Fox Sports Stats show that Cook has not gone close to delivering on those expectations.

And it’s in the matches where Cook runs the least that Souths struggle most.

In the four games in the past season where Cook has had three runs or less, the Rabbitohs have lost all.

Those matches included the round one loss to Melbourne (2 runs for 19m), last year’s preliminary final against Penrith (1 run for 6m), round four last year against Melbourne (2 runs for 32m) and against Brisbane in round two (1 run for 4m).

While Cook’s performance against the Storm had little impact, Brandon Smith had seven runs for 78m, totally outpointing Australia’s Test hooker.

Admittedly Cook was playing behind a pack that was dominated by the Storm’s big men, but even so, the Rabbitohs rake was way below his best.

What has happened to Cook’s famous running game?

It would have to be a growing concern for Wayne Bennett especially coming on the back of last year’s prelim final where Cook not only had a limited impact running the ball but also came up with that crucial missed tackle which allowed Isaah Yeo to set up the match winning try.

In the two earlier finals matches against Newcastle and Parramatta, Cook ran for 155m and 133m respectively.

But then you go back to the 2019 preliminary final against Canberra and Cook only had three runs for 19m and again came up with a crucial tackle miss when he got steamrolled by Josh Papalii for the match clinching try.

Cook’s stats also show that he averaged a career-high 90m in 2018 which dipped to 43m in 2019 and jumped back up to 63m last year.

There is no doubt opposition teams are targeting him more than ever and markers are clearly pushing the boundaries by not always standing square to close down Cook’s options.

But that’s not going to change judging by what the refs are allowing.

So Cook, and Souths for that matter, need to find a way to break the shackles or it is going to seriously limit one of their most dangerous attacking weapons as the season rolls on.

Cook’s position as the premier hooker in the game is under real threat.

There is a justified concern that Cook’s confidence has also suffered because of the questionable tactics being used to nullify his running.

But he also has to take ownership of the situation and find a way to fix it.

With Cameron Smith retired, Cook had earned the right to go into this season ranked as the game’s top hooker given he’s the NSW and Kangaroo incumbent.

But he’ll need to pick up his act if he’s going to stay there with the likes of Harry Grant, Brandon Smith and Api Koroisau chasing hard, while Englishman Josh Hodgson is also back from injury.
This is exactly what I was saying about Cook when big mouth Cronk was criticising Adam for 3 PF losses. Bludging (1-3 runs in the whole game???) and missed tackles = losses

callmack1

Staff member
Dane Gagai has his sights set on making the Grand Final in 2021: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-its-about-fixing-up-the-other-areas---gagai/

"Run hard, tackle hard" - Koloamatangi: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/17/run-hard-tackle-hard---koloamatangi/

"I came here to be the best possible Jai Arrow I could be" - Arrow: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...e-best-possible-jai-arrow-i-could-be---arrow/

From Sporting News,

Rabbitohs out to rescue Damien Cook's running game – 'Big focus for us this week'

Jai Arrow claims the onus must fall on the Rabbitohs forwards to help leverage Damien Cook's electric running game after the star hooker's performance in the season opener against Melbourne was criticised.

Cook's quiet night headlined what was a surprisingly lacklustre performance from premiership favourites South Sydney against Melbourne, after they fell to a 22-0 start before reeling in the margin to go down 26-18 at AAMI Park.

Cook's underwhelming stat line on Thursday night read four runs for 25 metres across the whole 80 minutes, and despite the new rules around the ruck favouring his speed, the Origin and Australian No. 9 barely put a dent in the Storm's defensive line.

It comes after what was an up and down year for Cook in 2020, whose explosive running game was expected to reach new heights amidst the introduction of the six-again rule, but didn't quite find his form until last year's finals series.

The Rabbitohs are at their damaging best when their sizeable forwards are creating momentum through the ruck, enabling Cook to use his speed and find holes in the defence.

Arrow revealed Cook's game had been a topic of discussion at training on Wednesday and will be something Wayne Bennett's men will look to address on Saturday against Manly.

"Yeah, it has been actually," Arrow said when asked if Cook's quiet game had been raised.

"He's as damaging a runner of the ball as anyone in the comp so if we're not playing the ball quick for him, he can't get out of dummy half and do what he does and that's run the ball.

"We've spoken about that and addressed it, and that's a big focus for us this week, is getting Dmein Cook running.

"When he's running it's pretty scary and he's shown that over the past couple of years.

"He's an Origin and Australia hooker and he's there for a reason because he's a quality player."

Arrow was undeniably one of the Rabbitohs most destructive in the loss last Thursday, playing an impactful role off the bench along with fellow new recruit Benji Marshall.

The pair's efforts saw Bennett use them as a yardstick in calling out the performances of his other senior players.

"That’s probably part of the equation... Benji and Jai Arrow are playing their first games for South Sydney and they want to impress everybody,” he said.

“And you’ve got a whole lot of other guys out there who have played a lot of games for South Sydney who were hoping that they could get an easy night.”

The coach's dissatisfaction with the opening round performance against the Storm saw him drop the axe on two of the Rabbitohs other fresh faces in Josh Mansour and Jacob Host, who will play reserve grade this weekend.

Arrow said Bennett's high-performance standards, while perhaps brutal, will get the best out of the team.

"Wayne reiterated that no spots are safe," he added.

"He wants to pick the best 17 who he thinks can do a job for him and I suppose you don't take your spot lightly.

"It's only going to be good for us as a team, pushing for spots.

"We're going to have to continue to do that throughout the year."

Arrow's 176 metres off the interchange in his debut game last week has many questioning why the Queensland Origin star isn't starting this week.

The 25-year-old admits he has his sights set on a spot in the run-on side, but will play wherever he's asked.

"Wayne likes me there off the bench, he likes what I bring," the former Titan said.

"As a footy player, you'd be lying if you didn't say you wanted to start, of course I want to start.

"He sees something there (off the bench). I enjoyed my role, I enjoyed coming on and bringing a bit of fire and energy, especially being the first round and the first game at the club.

"I did my best possible job I could and brought a bit of fire which I'll continue to do through the year."

Rabbits20

Immortal
Moga won’t be coming in that’s for sure if Paulo is out, he had 5 errors in reserve grade last weekend.

Marsters was poor as well only 55 metres in 80mins.

Mago did quite well 15 for 156 metres and 25 tackles he missed 4 though. He played 56mins.

callmack1

Staff member
'Worked my butt off' - Keaon determined not to 'waste' starting chance: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/19...eaon-determined-not-to-waste-starting-chance/

Wayne Bennett Media Round 2: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/19/wayne-bennett-media-round-2/

Glad to hear that Tom is good to go and it sounds like Paulo will be too. So we are settled.

Sironen is out for them which is a pretty big blow. He is one of their best forwards in my opinion. Still, we can't take them lightly as they'll be fired up and wet weather always evens it up a bit.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

Wayne Bennett calls out Damien Cook criticism – 'He's an absolute threat'

Wayne Bennett has moved to pour cold water on criticism of Damien Cook in the wake of the hooker's quiet start to the season for South Sydney against Melbourne last week.

Cook's performance in the 26-18 loss to the Storm, in which the NSW Blues and Kangaroos No. 9 ran four times for just 25 metres, has come under scrutiny.

With Melbourne dramatically stifling Cook's running opportunities last Thursday night, the representative star was largely ineffective at dummy-half.

Speaking on Fox League's NRL360, rugby league great Ben Ikin flagged how it's becoming evident Cook doesn't possess a plan B when not given the opportunity to run.

It was revealed earlier in the week the topic had been a focus at Rabbitohs training going into Saturday's clash with Manly, with Bennett and his players addressing how Cook's speed out of dummy-half could be leveraged.

Bennett refused to be drawn into the Cook criticism, declaring it was up to the whole team to find a solution when opposing teams lock down the Rabbitohs No. 9.

"For Damien when he came into the game and started to make his reputation, it was all about running," Bennett said, ahead of his side's meeting with the Sea Eagles at Brookvale.

"But the game's changed a bit since then and they all mark him a bit better.

"The Storm did a really good job on us there and we weren't winning the ruck... that nullified what he could do.

"I'm never really overly critical of Cooky and his running game because you're not always allowed those opportunities sometimes.

"He's dependent, like our halfbacks, on what the big guys are doing.

"It comes to opportunities and I don't want him running out there and getting tackled and going nowhere and we lose more momentum.

"Those days will happen, they'll happen this season.

"He's an absolute threat out of dummy half and he'll get it right."

Cook wasn't the Rabbitohs' only senior player whose performance was placed under the blowtorch after the Storm loss, with Bennett accusing his side of lacking the right attitude going into the blockbuster first-round match-up.

Bennett proved he won't hesitate to make changes this year in response to poor performances, dropping new recruits Jacob Host and Josh Mansour from his starting 17 this week, and naming Keaon Koloamatangi and Jaxson Paulo.

He admits he might've rushed the pair before they'd found their feet in Rabbitohs system.

"I just felt those two players in particular were new players to the club and they'll probably take a little more time to settle in with us and I maybe pushed them in too early," Bennett said of the changes.

"I pull them out this week and put two experienced players in there that have played with us for the last 12 to 18 months.

"They (Mansour and Host) can spend more training time with us and there'll be other opportunities that come along."

Bennett confirmed his side will be as named for the Manly clash, with Tom Burgess to feature despite last week's neck scare against Melbourne.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well it’s now into the early hours of Saturday and it’s once again NEARLY TIME TO FFIIIIRREEE UUUPPPP!!

It is going to be torrential rain today so ball security will be vital and doing the little things well. Manly will be hurting after last week but so should we as well. Our start simply has to be better. If we wanna make the top 4 we need to win these kinds of games.

It is very important we get our first win of the season tomorrow. SO RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS EVERYONE FFIIRREEE UP AND ON YOUR FEET WHEREVER YOU MAY BE AT APPROXIMATELY 5:29PM AS THE BOYS RUN ON, IT IS TIME TO YELL, CHANT AND APPLAUD ONCE MORE!! GLORY GLORY LETS GO AND GET THESE 2 POINTS!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

GGGOOO SOUTH SYDNEY!!!

GGOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY!!!

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY!!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Well, it's seemed like a long wait due to the long turnaround but that wait is over. Game day is finally here!!! As R21 says, on your feet Souths members and fans, it's time to fire up!! Manly are one of our oldest and most fierce rivals, stretching back over seventy years. There's been some huge clashes throughout that time; Grand Finals, bumper Finals games, scintilating regular Season clashes, our rivalry has had it all. Both sides have inflicted plenty of pain on eachother and for me, the memory and pain of the 2013 Preliminary Final is always at the back of my mind when we play the Sea Eagles. Games against them are always firey and I'm sure this one will be no different.

Some people might look at this game and think "easy win to Souths," but I don't see it that way at all. Manly got pumped last week and there's been a lot of talk in the lead up to this one about them. They're down on troops and will be hurting. They'll be fired up in front of their home crowd. What's more, it's meant to be absolutely bucketing down which is always a great leveler. For that reason, this is a massive danger game for us and we need to be on. Shutting down their big guns like DCE, Walker, Taupau and Trbojevic will be key and that is easier said than done. In the wet, DCE in particular is most important. I want kick pressure on him everytime.

Manly will be hurting, but so will we. We have every reason to be extremely fired up for this one too. Although we went okay last week, it was not at our high standards and the boys will want to make amends for that tonight no doubt. Our start needs to be a hell of a lot better and we need to maintain that intensity for eighty minutes, can't let the Sea Eagles get their tails up. It all comes back to ball control which was terrible last week and we need a big improvement there. That won't be easy in the wet. I'd like to see our starting pack have a big improvement as well and as always in the wet, Reyno needs to lift as his kicking game will be key.

It's going to be a tough evening but I know our boys can do it!! Fire up Souths, it's almost time!!