What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Souths. Posts by @iamback are all opinion based

Cows get done tomorrow and hopefully thrashed, that scenario will see us relatively safe for the MP. Cows win, then not only do we have to at least win one more game, but we have to keep one eye on our for/against as we'll only have around 70 points worth of breathing space with a badly patched up side to defend in three games.
And if we’re relying on the Warriors game for an easy win, their win today just proves that it won’t be a sure thing.

GongPanther

Referee
And if we’re relying on the Warriors game for an easy win, their win today just proves that it won’t be a sure thing.
Last home game before the rebuild of the Stadium, full house to also farewell those who won't be with us after this year, so should be a big chance. Against Souths and what they are doing to Parra ATM, we should be in damage control next week and defend ourselves to a standstill.

GongPanther

Referee
Since SOO, we've fallen into a slump of sorts. Hope Brandy can get into Freddy's ear next year, and declare that one club can't handle all those Blues spots. Rep round I think won't be on again so all good on that front.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Edwards is the best fb in the comp this year.

We need to pray hes fit come finals or atleast in a position to play needled up without to much pain.

If i had to rate our players in terms of importance it would probs go

1. Nath
2. Edwards
3. Api
4. Yeo
5. Kikau

People might not agree with that top 5 but theres clear reasons.

I think nath, whilst he has frustrated me this year at times is still the mkst intergral bloke to our success. At his best he is the #1 player in the game.

Edwards at 2 for me is a tight call. And the reason for it is no suprise..it is purely to do with the number if tries he saves and the fact he is just everywhere all the bloody time.. he is a machine. We need him no two ways about it.

Api in 3. And i rate api as the best 9 innthe game by a fair bit. But i think if everyone else is there bar him we could still win the gf with a kenny luke rotation. Im not sure we could with everyone there but edwards. Thats how important edwards is.. a try saved is worth a try scored imo... and if they were counted like that edwards would be our alex johnston. That is the only reason i think he is more important. Im sure critta and staines or turuva could get through 200m at the back in attack but then theyf be cooked for the defense and cleaning up and saving tries. Having said that we need api haha.

4. Contraversial. People wont agree. But i think we could win the comp without yeo.. he is a freak of nature. But eiso can fill hes shoes..not at the elite level yeo does but eiso has proven that he is a very steady and handy replacement 13 that certainly wouldnt let anyone down. Yeo is a leader and a warrior and i love him. But i think if we had to we could win a gf without him.

5. Kiks just beats fish imo. Just for the fact he is a points machine and when luai and him and the left click they are basically unstoppable.

Having said all that i really do think to win a como you need to be fortunate and have at least your best 16 of 17 players out there.

I couldnt care less about the minor premiership.
One and two is locked up.

At this point all the focus should be on fitness of the blokes and not killing them.

I know you cant think to far ahead and the reason this tean has been so succesful is they play each week as it comes. They dont plan ahead. But we have earnt the right this year to be selective in the back end of the year..

If blokes are 110% fit and firing they can play.. if theres any niggles or fatigue a rest is required.

Ive maintained i think the best rd if possible will be resting blokes against nth qld. No need to burn days at home prepping for a final etc by travel days and days away from our facilities.

Also, ivan needs to smarten the eff up with his bench selections.

If we are all fit come finals id really like to see matt eiso jag the last bench spot.

His middle defence and ruck defence is first class. And he kinda makes up for spencer being a bit of a weaker defender.

Id go with
14. Kenny
15. Eiso
16. Sorensen
17. Lenui

Sorensen to spend time at 2nd row. Hes mobile enough and imo hes looked way more dangerous than martin has this year. He can give him and kiks a break.

Short sharp stints for leota, spencer with a high focus on maximum impact.

Fish and eiso to play longer mins.

Kenny to come on pending game situation.

If we are on top and dominating field possesion hes not even required. If we are struggling and its an arm wrestle he can come on.

Eiso api fish
Or
Fish api kenny
Or
Eiso api kenny
Is a much safer and stonger defensive unit than

Leota api spencer.

Redundancies-
If theres an injury to the centres- cleary or luai go one wider and defend there. Api to defend at half and kenny defend at 9.

Injury to the wing same principle in defence but critta moves to wing.

Injury at fb- critta to fb same defensive principle eg api to half, kenny to 9, luai or nath to centre.

Injury to luai or nath than api to half kenny to 9.

Injuries arent ideal and yes you can cover them on the bench to an extent.... but having salmon at 17 for potential cover that may never happen.... and as weve seen he isnt capable in the halfs anyway.... whats the point.

Better off picking a bench with impact and that can be solid throughtout a finals game defensivley.
That's very hard to assess, they play all different positions and so important in their roles.

Munky

Coach
The only reason to come first is that playing fourth is better than third most years.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I care about the minor premiership only because if would be pretty pathetic to not win it after being 8 points clear.. After the Cowboys loss it should be a formality now. The most important thing is to stop losing troops to injuries and suspensions and for some of the guys who are underperforming to switch on.

Girds89

Bench
I actually think id prefer to verse the sharks than melbs.

Just the craig bellamy factor. Hughes is the 2md best 7 in the game behind nath.

And honestly munster is the best in the game.. hes a freak.

The smith, grant combo to is deadly.

Cronulla dont worry me. Melbs wed have to be at our best.