What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 - Rabbitohs vs Roosters: Friday 26th March 8:05pm @Stadium Australia

callmack1

Staff member
There are many great rivalries in Australian sport. Heaps. NSW vs Queensland, Holden vs Ford, All Blacks vs Wallabies just to name a few. However, I don't think anything compares to the rivalry that will be on show this week. That's right, it's us, the Rabbitohs, against the Roosters. I don't really need to go on about what this rivalry means, we all know, we've all experienced it. We all eat, sleep and breathe it. Hate is a very strong word, but when it comes to describing how we feel about these wankers from Bondi, it's simply not strong enough. No word in the English language is strong enough to describe 113 years of pure hatred. So this is a huge week, a massive week as that rivalry resumes and we get ready for another chapter to be written into the Book of Fueds.

It kind of pains me to say this but the Roosters do have one hell of a side. Everyone said this would be the year they'd struggle but they've shown in the opening two Rounds that that will not be the case at all. In my opinion, they're currently the team to beat. So much strike power everywhere you look, most noteably Tedesco, Keary, the Morris brothers and then a forward pack that includes JWH, Crichton and Radley. There isn't really a key battle this week, we're just going to have to be on right across the board. They'll come out firing looking for revenge for that 60-8 scoreline last time we met so I have no doubt we're going to be right up against it this week.

For us, it's our first game back at home for the 2021 Season. Couldn't ask for a better game to come home to so I encourage everyone that can get there to do so! We need as much Red and Green there as possible!! We're playing the arch rivals, the biggest rivalry in the game so if this game doesn't get the boys and our fans up, nothing will. We've been okay over all to start the Season but if we want to compete against the Chooks, we need to step it up a notch. It's time to lift the intensity. We're gonna need to be well and truely on our game and I'd say reducing our errors and defence will be a massive focus this week. Those are key if we want to match it with them.

This game will be made extra special as the boys wear our Home thank you members jerseys with the names of 8,000 of our members on it.

So massive this week this week, there's no doubt about that. Time to fire up and let's give it to these Bondi wankers!!!

Robbie 12

Juniors
No graham can get caught out in defence tackling wrong player on his line, has happened in passed,

not feeling confident that we can beat them,

souths are still not supporting each other consistently throw the game,

they did it for the first two trys against manly as the half went on they fell off, ....

need back to basics in wet weather, and player in motion following and supporting each other and competing for the ball if the boom goes up ....not just hoping the winger or fullback are going to drop it ....

need proper 5th tackle option's not just turn over the ball, on a high kick ...kick it in the goals, kick it on along the floor make the player chase it .....

anyway see what happens hopefully the rain ease's off by friday

callmack1

Staff member
"It's all about doing the fans proud" - Nicholls: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/22/its-all-about-doing-the-fans-proud---nicholls/

"It's not a hard game to get up for" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/22/its-not-a-hard-game-to-get-up-for---murray/

"We're going to go out there and put on a show" - Cook: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/22/were-going-to-go-out-there-and-put-on-a-show---cook/

Man, I love how even the boys hate them immensely. They won't admit it openly but you can tell!!

callmack1

Staff member
Rehab Report Round 2 Update: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/22/rehab-report-round-2-update/

Great news that Reyno will most likely be all sweet for Friday night! In not so good news, Tatola is in some doubt with a hamstring injury. I can's see him playing this weekend. What's more, still no Knight or Sele.

Rivalry on again but no '60-8' talk before Rabbitohs face red-hot Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/22...-talk-before-rabbitohs-face-red-hot-roosters/

Latrell Mitchell a better fullback than James Tedesco says Damien Cook: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rooste...ien-cook/38c669d6-bb6e-41c4-acee-3b79211f21cf

And from Sporting News,

Look out for Latrell: Rabbitohs warn Roosters ahead of spiteful encounter between traditional rivals

Beware of a more motivated than ever Latrell Mitchell.

That's the message Mitchell's Rabbitohs teammates have issued the Roosters ahead of Friday's spine-tingling battle between the two traditional rivals.

Among a handful of storylines shaping the build-up to what promises to be another explosive Roosters-Rabbitohs encounter, an in-form Mitchell coming up against his former side is the headline.

Then there's the fact a refreshed Mitchell is on a mission to knock a red hot James Tedesco off his perch as the NRL's premier fullback.

After finding a home at Redfern last year amid a bitter and confusing exit from the Roosters at the end of 2019, there's a good feeling brewing around Mitchell and South Sydney.

Having missed the back half of South Sydney's 2020 campaign with a nasty hamstring injury, Mitchell has returned with aplomb to start the year in the No. 1 for Wayne Bennett's side, so far validating the pre-season hype.

Heading into a showdown with Tedesco, Cameron Murray said Mitchell is as motivated as he's ever seen him - something that should concern those across Anzac Parade.

"Latrell has been great this year," Murray said.

"He's just happy, he's loving his footy and training.

"He's probably more motivated than I've ever seen him to be successful and to win.

"We've come so close the last couple of years and he's leading the way with the motivation there and where we want to go to this year.

"Everyone's got their own reasons for coming up against the Roosters, for a lot of the boys it's the rivalry, but for Latrell it's playing his old club.

"It just adds to the spectacle and rivalry."

Damien Cook said the stage is set for a blockbuster playoff between the NRL's two most in-form fullbacks.

No doubt if Mitchell plays an instrumental role in guiding the Rabbitohs to a win, he'll be considered the game's No. 1.

"I think we can all see how well Latrell has started this season off this year. He knows his role at fullback now and he's our go-to.

"With him on the field, we know we're a chance of winning every game. That's the same feeling I used to get with Greg (Inglis) and Sam (Burgess).

"I think they're two very different fullbacks. We see what Teddy does, he's been a great player as a fullback, he's been one of the best players now for a while."

A clash that always promises spice, Mitchell's face-off with Tedesco and ambitions to outdo his former side will see no shortage of passion from the Kangaroos and Origin star.

But perhaps differently to years gone by, Cook senses Mitchell won't let that get the better of him emotionally on Friday night.

"He's grown as a player massively over the last 12 months," Cook said.

"He's well in control of his emotions and he just knows the footy he's been playing lately will do the talking for him."

South Sydney will hope to add to their 26-12 win over Manly, while the Roosters will hope to extend their perfect start to the season following their 40-6 bash-up of the Tigers.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted team assuming Tatola is out,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Mansour
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Arrow
11. Koloamatangi
12. Su'A
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Nicholls
16. Host
17. Mago

So Mansour gets another chance in place of Paulo, Arrow starts for Tatola and Hosty is back in the side on the bench, the rest remains unchanged I reckon. It Tatola is good to go, I'd have him on the bench in place of Host because he needs a bit of a rev up so shouldn't start.

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Good line up Callmack but I have grave concerns that ile state below if we are to make this years grand final.

A. Jaxson paulo should never replace josh mansour unless josh is injured/unavailable.
B. I would use tautau moga on the wing before I would use jaxson paulo.
C. Souths will not win a grand final whilst jaxson paulo is on the wing i can see it why can't wayne bennett see it? remember paulo had three touches in a row against manly he had two dropped balls and was bailed over the side line he is far from 1st grade standard. The hair stands up on the back of my neck when ever he tries to catch a ball or is in the team who the hell signed him? the mind boggles that's all I can say. he is our weakest link in our back line squad so far to play on the wing this year.i hope a few of our injured backs return soon.Mansour dropped two balls bennett should had persisted with mansour if he does not we can't win the grand final with paulo on the wing he is surplus to needs in my view.

Valheru

Coach
Rehab Report Round 2 Update: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/22/rehab-report-round-2-update/

Great news that Reyno will most likely be all sweet for Friday night! In not so good news, Tatola is in some doubt with a hamstring injury. I can's see him playing this weekend. What's more, still no Knight or Sele.

Rivalry on again but no '60-8' talk before Rabbitohs face red-hot Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/22...-talk-before-rabbitohs-face-red-hot-roosters/

Latrell Mitchell a better fullback than James Tedesco says Damien Cook: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rooste...ien-cook/38c669d6-bb6e-41c4-acee-3b79211f21cf

And from Sporting News,

Look out for Latrell: Rabbitohs warn Roosters ahead of spiteful encounter between traditional rivals

Beware of a more motivated than ever Latrell Mitchell.

That's the message Mitchell's Rabbitohs teammates have issued the Roosters ahead of Friday's spine-tingling battle between the two traditional rivals.

Among a handful of storylines shaping the build-up to what promises to be another explosive Roosters-Rabbitohs encounter, an in-form Mitchell coming up against his former side is the headline.

Then there's the fact a refreshed Mitchell is on a mission to knock a red hot James Tedesco off his perch as the NRL's premier fullback.

After finding a home at Redfern last year amid a bitter and confusing exit from the Roosters at the end of 2019, there's a good feeling brewing around Mitchell and South Sydney.

Having missed the back half of South Sydney's 2020 campaign with a nasty hamstring injury, Mitchell has returned with aplomb to start the year in the No. 1 for Wayne Bennett's side, so far validating the pre-season hype.

Heading into a showdown with Tedesco, Cameron Murray said Mitchell is as motivated as he's ever seen him - something that should concern those across Anzac Parade.

"Latrell has been great this year," Murray said.

"He's just happy, he's loving his footy and training.

"He's probably more motivated than I've ever seen him to be successful and to win.

"We've come so close the last couple of years and he's leading the way with the motivation there and where we want to go to this year.

"Everyone's got their own reasons for coming up against the Roosters, for a lot of the boys it's the rivalry, but for Latrell it's playing his old club.

"It just adds to the spectacle and rivalry."

Damien Cook said the stage is set for a blockbuster playoff between the NRL's two most in-form fullbacks.

No doubt if Mitchell plays an instrumental role in guiding the Rabbitohs to a win, he'll be considered the game's No. 1.

"I think we can all see how well Latrell has started this season off this year. He knows his role at fullback now and he's our go-to.

"With him on the field, we know we're a chance of winning every game. That's the same feeling I used to get with Greg (Inglis) and Sam (Burgess).

"I think they're two very different fullbacks. We see what Teddy does, he's been a great player as a fullback, he's been one of the best players now for a while."

A clash that always promises spice, Mitchell's face-off with Tedesco and ambitions to outdo his former side will see no shortage of passion from the Kangaroos and Origin star.

But perhaps differently to years gone by, Cook senses Mitchell won't let that get the better of him emotionally on Friday night.

"He's grown as a player massively over the last 12 months," Cook said.

"He's well in control of his emotions and he just knows the footy he's been playing lately will do the talking for him."

South Sydney will hope to add to their 26-12 win over Manly, while the Roosters will hope to extend their perfect start to the season following their 40-6 bash-up of the Tigers.

Thanks for the warning, we are completely petrified.

Gee they are really setting up poor Latrell for a humbling on Friday with all this "he is better than teddy" and sending us a warning nonsense.

Mad Bunny

Juniors
to be truthfully honest arrow should start every week in the top 13 run on side and definitely not from the bench.you must have your best 13 on the field for every game unless one is carrying a niggling injury.

big hit!

Bench
to be truthfully honest arrow should start every week in the top 13 run on side and definitely not from the bench.you must have your best 13 on the field for every game unless one is carrying a niggling injury.

Where would you start him? In place of Murray?

Arrow is barely getting the needle above 100kg! He's an undersized prop and more suited to starting at #13. Souths already have Murray. Arrow has much more impact off the bench, the same way Wayne used him successfully in a winning Origin series

callmack1

Staff member

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Murray should remain at #13 where he is best suited as we all know.i just think arrow should be in the starting 13 the game is now faster and having a speedier prop may not be unwarranted.

Mad Bunny

Juniors
By rotating mago and tburg or tatola and mago or even sua and mago from the bench might well be a midas touch to keep arrow in the top 13 each week..

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Mago & moga have both been standouts at training i am looking forward to see tautau moga get a game when warranted.

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Sua has not been on song lately thats where arrow comes in to the starting squad in place of sua, so that sua & mago can strike up a formidable duo together off the bench.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 3: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/23/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-3/

A strong team to face out arch rivals!! Pretty happy with that line up! I'm happy to have Mansour back in the side, I think he is a big key for us and this is his chance to show the coaching staff and show us fans what he's here for. I have no doubt he'll be much better and it's up to him to hold his spot.

Also awesome to see Reyno and Junior named. Obviously Reyno is firming to play so that was kind of expected but I must admit, I was expecting Tatola to not be named. He's obviously still in some doubt and could be a late withdrawl but the fact that he's been named is a really good sign.

So yea, keen for Friday night!!!