What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 - Rabbitohs vs Roosters: Friday 26th March 8:05pm @Stadium Australia

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well it’s finally Game Day time to block out all the outside noise and focus on the task at hand. Our first home game of 2021 we have been waiting for this for what feels like ages and it is finally here. What better way to start our home games than have our enemies the Rorters. The hatred is strong as ever that is for sure and what a build up it’s been. Let’s show tonight we are the loudest and proudest let’s drown out those Rorters members as no doubt they’ll be vocal BUT IT IS ON OUR HOME TURF SO WE CAN DROWN THEM OUT IF WE ALL LIFT LETS ALL COME HOME WITH NO VOICE. IF YOU ARE TOSSING UP WHETHER TO GO OR NOT JUST GET OUT THERE THEY ARE EXPECTING 20K PLUS!!! We simply must be on from the start our start has to be better than the last couple of weeks we need to go with them early as they will try to blow us away early so we need to weather the storm! High completion rate and defending like our lives depend on it it will be key. Then there will be the Klein factor let’s make sure we are making as much noise as possible to get that extra six again or get that extra penalty or to get a blatant forward pass called etc..... we can help be the 18th man!

In the words of Jez: As we look down the tunnel here at Stadium Australia we can see the jerseys of the red white and blue starting to make their way down the tunnel....... please give a warm South Sydney welcome onto South Sydney home turf to the Sydney Roosters....... BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BBBOOOOOOOOOO cheats filthy rotten cheats etc the Souths crowd calls out!!

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS IT IS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEEEEETTTTTTTT SHOW THE COLOURS STOMP YOUR FEET CLAP YOUR HANDS SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT!!!! HERE THEY COME ONTO HOME TURF FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR 2021 YYYYOOOOUUURRRRRRR SOUTH SYDNEY RRRAAABBBBIIITTTTOOOHHHSSSS!!

FFFIIIRRREEEE UUUUPPPPPPP AAAAAALLLLLLLLL LETS GO GLORY GLORY!!!

AND FINALLY LETS GO RRRAAAABBBBBIIIITTTTOOOOOHHHHSSSSSSS

Rabbits20

Immortal
Robbo was just on the news saying they haven’t forgotten the 60-8 last time it’s in the back of their minds and they are gonna come out with a high intensity from the outset!

We know this though so we must go with them early!

Mad Bunny

Juniors
we've got this game in the bag I reckon our forwards are going to steam roll the rorters, game over bunny brothers "piece of cake" "easy breezy on easy street tonight cant wait" child's play × kids stuff hallelujah the pride of the league are going to run amok it cant come soon enough to watch the scum forever in our shadow lose.

Valheru

Coach
The more I think of it you’re exactly right @callmack1 the Roosters are loving all these articles to try and distract us, we now have to put it to the side as you say! I will be fired up tomorrow!

Mate souths have only themselves to blame regarding these articles.

Why they wouldn't give Reynolds a 2 year deal is beyond me.

Jim Rockford

Bench
we've got this game in the bag I reckon our forwards are going to steam roll the rorters, game over bunny brothers "piece of cake" "easy breezy on easy street tonight cant wait" child's play × kids stuff hallelujah the pride of the league are going to run amok it cant come soon enough to watch the scum forever in our shadow lose.
Love your passion MB!

big hit!

Bench
Well, after a huge week of build up, here we are.... Game day!! It's not just any old game day either, we all know who we're playing. It's the arch-rivals, the nemesis, the wankers from across Anzac Parade, it's the Roosters. This is war tonight. It's absolute war. I've said it before and I'll say it again, hate is a very strong word that shouldn't be used lightly. But you know what? When we talk about the Roosters, hate is simply not a strong enough word to describe how we feel about them. That's the way it's been for 113 years now and that's the way it will always be.

I must say, I can't remember a build up to a Rabbitohs - Roosters clash quite like this. The tensions between our two clubs has never been higher because so much has happened recently. Obviously the big one was our 60-8 win last time we played them but there's also been Suaalii's defection to the Chooks and thus, Rusty's digs about their salary cap, then there's the Jai Arrow incident with Tedesco in Origin last year. I've loved the build up during the week with all the stuff that's been said. It will be firey tonight no doubt.

Not going to be an easy one either. I hate to say it but the Roosters have been the team to beat in the opening Rounds. They've been on fire with two massive wins and haven't skipped a beat really. They'll be confident up against us and are going to come out firing to try and set the tone early I have no doubt about that. Our defence has to be on point right across the park tonight especially against the likes of Tedesco, Morris, Keary and Crichton. This is all easier said than done but the boys can certainly do it!!!

For us, we need to fire up massively and put in a big performance to show our Premiership credentials. Tonight is a chance to make a massive statement in front of our home fans against the arch-rivals. It all starts with holding the ball and completing our sets. That's been the part our game which has really lacked the forst two Rounds and you can't keep dropping the ball against a team like the Roosters. I'm confident we have the attack so defence is going to be a big focus.

It's a tough game but we should feel confident, we have an amazing side this year that is more than capable of sticking it to the Roosters. We can do this!! Fire up Souths members and fans!! Prepare for battle! it's almost time for war!!

Suaalii is playing in the NSW Cup curtain raiser too.
https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2021/round-3/rabbitohs-v-bears/

Get there early if you can lads and give him some stick while supporting the ressies and part-timers!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think the Roosters are deservedly favourites for this match. They have played some really good footy the past 2 matches, mind you against some weak competition, but they looked to have really gelled their combinations early in the season.

We really need to have Koloamatangi and Su'a targeting Keary and Lam in attack. I think this will be a very close match. I also think we're very unlikely to go around them and probably more likely to go through them. Keary vs Walker will be very fiery since Keary has shifted to the right side this year.

I really hope to see Walker step up for this game and not to do the old throw it out the back and hope Gagai or Latrell can make something happen. Ill be really pissed off if I see that from him.

I really hope we can win but im not banking the season on this game.

No injuries please.

callmack1

Staff member
From News Corp,

The 100 players who started the Roosters, Rabbitohs rivalry

Revealed: The real reason why the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs have hated each other for more than 100-years.

This is a tale about hate, jealousy, confusion, envy and spite. It’s also about being disrespected and downtrodden – and it stretches back to 1908.

It’s a story about more 100 players who became rugby league renegades by switching between mortal enemies the Roosters and Rabbitohs, the two clubs involved in rugby league’s greatest and longest rivalry.

Some of rugby league’s finest have moved between Redfern and Bondi, most taking with them a chunk of hatred from disgruntled fans.

And all those emotions will return again this Friday night when the Sydney Roosters and Souths collide once again at Stadium Australia.

Hooker Sean Garlick left Souths for the Roosters in 1994 before returning to the Rabbitohs four years later.

“When I was at Souths, there was a whole lot of jealousy. The Roosters were the silvertails. They got all the players, David Gyngell was on the board back then and he was getting all the Channel 9 celebrities to the games,” Garlick said.

“Souths were battling and you came to hate that sort of thing. The Roosters always had track suits which were a bit better. Their gear was better. There was always a lot to envy. It did supply a lot of motivation. It was always us against them. The ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’.

“It’s easy to get yourself up for a game where you feel you’re disrespected and downtrodden. It’s very confusing for a player because when you’re at Souths, you hate the Roosters. You never dream you could ever play there, ever, not in a million years.

“But then when you get there, you get so engrossed you can’t believe you were ever at the other place. It’s confusing on your emotions because everyone around you expects you switch so quickly.

“You ask a Souths fan, they enjoy the Roosters getting beat more than the Rabbitohs winning. That’s how bad it got.”

In a past era, when Souths were poor, the Bunnies would look at their more glamorous eastern suburbs counterparts with desire and resentment.

“The Roosters always had track suits which were a bit better. Their gear was better. There was always a lot to envy. It did supply a lot of motivation. It was always us against them. The ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’,” Garlick said.

“The fans get confused when they see you. You run into people in the street and wonder if they are a Roosters fan or Souths fan. It’s easy to offend either way.

“I’m a Souths junior and have a soft spot for the Rabbitohs but I still like the Roosters to go well too. It’s all very confusing. The Roosters have been strong for so long now. It’s been 30 years since they’ve had a dud team.”

Former Rooster and Rabbit Bryan Fletcher believes the rivalry increased further when Souths won the 2014 grand final.

“I’ve certainly noticed the increase in spite since Souths won the comp. The Roosters fans are now more vocal whereas before I don’t think Roosters supporters saw Souths as a threat. Souths hadn’t won a comp since 1971 before 2014,” Fletcher said.

“After Souths won the comp, they knocked Easts out along the way, the two clubs became more equal. That’s what I’m saying.

“I had nine years with the Chooks and in that era, Souths weren’t very good. We didn’t lose too much to Souths. The competitiveness between the teams, from my point of view, happened more after I left.

“Then when I went to Souths for those three years, the Roosters were so dominant and I was on the other side of it then. We struggled during my years at Souths. Back then there wasn’t really a competitive fire between the two.

“I went to Souths because I was offered a three-year deal. Saints were pretty keen but there was a little bit of history there for me as I played there as a kid. Did I regret it? When the Roosters made those grand finals in 2003 and 2004, that was hard to watch.”

One of rugby league’s greatest, Ron Coote quit Souths for Easts in 1972.

“It was a geographical decision for me,” Coote said. “I lived at Maroubra in those days. It wasn’t far from Redfern Oval or the old Sydney Sports Ground. Six one way, half a dozen the other.

“In those days, Souths also ran out of money. Their offer to me was half of what Easts were offering. I took the better offer. As a player, you only have a limited amount of time to earn a quid. It builds your life for the future.

“When I transferred, there was a lot of prejudice against each other but I don’t think it was that bad back then. It was just playing another game – you did your best - although a lot of other blokes didn’t.”

ROOSTERS TO RABBITS

1909: Harry ‘Hack’ Thompson, W Fry. 1910: Arthur Hennessy. 1911: Johnno Stuntz. 1916: George McGowan. 1918: Edward Coyne. 1919: Rex Norman. 1922: Bill Cameron. 1923: Bob Linklater. 1925: Arch Thompson. 1926: Harry Finch. 1932: Hugh Byrne. 1935: Harleigh Hanrahan, George Shankland, Harry Thompson. 1936: Bill Halloway. 1937: Hilton Delaney. 1940: Johnny Parker. 1950: Milton Atkinson. 1953: John Sellgren. 1955: Malcolm Spencer, Col Donohoe. 1957: Ray Thomas, Ron Taylor, Jim Campbell. 1958: Danny Byrnes. 1973: Jim Hall. 1975: John Dykes. 1977: Ian Mackay. 1978: Robert Laurie, Eric Ferguson, Arthur Kitinas, Trevor Barnes. 1981: Russell Fairfax, Gary Metcalfe, Paul Jelfs, Kyle Connor, Michael Mosman. 1982: Ken Wright. 1984: Marty Gurr. 1985: Royce Ayliffe, Matt Cruickshank. 1986: Lindsay Johnston. 1987: Luke Beasley. 1991: Sandy Campbell, Jason Paul Williams. 1994: Dennis Beecraft. 1995: Jason Tassell, Jason Keogh. 1996: Craig Salvatori. 1997: Michael Ostini. 1998: Terry Hermansson, Sean Garlick. 2002: Shane Rigon. 2003: Bryan Fletcher, Mark Minichiello. 2004: Scott Logan, Mark Leafa, Steve Skinnon. 2005: Shannon Hegarty, Peter Cusack. 2006: Stuart Webb. 2008: Craig Wing. 2016: Michael Oldfield, Joe Burgess. 2020: Latrell Mitchell.

RABBITOHS TO ROOSTERS

1909: Arthur Hennessy. 1916: Herb Gilbert. 1917: Ray Norman, W Tijou. 1918: Rex Norman. 1920: Rex Norman, Les Arthur, Bill Cameron. 1921: Harold Holmes. 1922: Arthur Oxford Snr. 1925: R Booth. 1927: Tom Barry. 1934: Tom McLachlan. 1942: Johnny Parker. 1944: Alan Schafer. 1946: Alan Quinlivan. 1948: Vic Anderson. 1949: Jim Hunt, Ian Verrender. 1951: Ray Thomas. 1952: Len Haskins, Keith Aitken. 1953: Malcolm Spencer. 1955: John Sellgren. 1959: Bruce Ranier, Bob Sait. 1960: Brian Wright. 1962: Merv Cross. 1970: Jim Morgan, Chris Armstrong. 1971: Michael Cleary. 1972: Ron Coote. 1974: Elwyn Walters. 1977: David Grant, Peter Reed. 1980: John Berne, Steve Sydenham. 1981: Terry Fahey, Robert Laurie. 1982: Grant Jones. 1983: Wayne McPherson, Joe Reaiche. 1984: Kelvin Eirth, Robert Simpkins. 1985: Kyle Connor, Corey Adams. 1987: Russell Bartlett, Tony Rampling. 1991: Terry Hill. 1992: Ross Harrington. 1994: Sean Garlick. 1995: Darren Maroon, Terry Hermansson. 1997: Jacin Sinclair. 1999: Darren Burns. 2000: Ian Rubin, Craig Wing. 2003: Chris Walker. 2006: Glenn Hall, Ashley Harrison. 2008: Brent Grose. 2017: Paul Carter, Luke Keary. 2019: Angus Crichton.