What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Panthers vs Raiders

The_Frog

First Grade
If Harry Bath didn't have an off day with the boot (1 from at least 6) Dragons would have won 56 straight at Kogarah. The one that broke the sequence was a 20-all draw with Balmain where they scored 6 tries to 4. Under today's scoring they'd have won. They were unbeaten that season and damn near invincible for well over a decade, in an era when every good player in the game wanted to play for them.

Another thing worth mentioning is that they had a Match of the Day in those times. Any game between the Dragons and another half decent team would have been played at the SCG so they only played the shit teams at Kogarah, hence only 25 games in 5 years, when they in fact had 9 home games a year.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
If Harry Bath didn't have an off day with the boot (1 from at least 6) Dragons would have won 56 straight at Kogarah. The one that broke the sequence was a 20-all draw with Balmain where they scored 6 tries to 4. Under today's scoring they'd have won. They were unbeaten that season and damn near invincible for well over a decade, in an era when every good player in the game wanted to play for them.

Another thing worth mentioning is that they had a Match of the Day in those times. Any game between the Dragons and another half decent team would have been played at the SCG so they only played the shit teams at Kogarah, hence only 25 games in 5 years, when they in fact had 9 home games a year.

I thought Raiders late 80's early 90's would be on a few lists like this.

Parra in 80's too.

I guess State of Origin weakened teams stop streaks like this

Kilkenny

Coach
6-0 is great. Could not have wished for a better start to this season. I don‘t think we have performed anywhere near our best, don’t have too at such an early stage, but I think the next two games are important. Games we are expected to win. I just think leading into three tough games against the heavyweights we need to start getting towards our best. No cruising so to speak, need 80 minutes, execute well, no soft tries really put the foot to the floor And show what we are capable of.

The_Frog

First Grade
Been looking for a stat site with those figures, but can't find on.
You'd need a Statsguru type utility like Cricinfo has, but compared to cricket we are a minor sport. David Middleton keeps a lot of stat records, I imagine he maintains a database on Access or similar, and this one surfaced on the Six Tackles podcast this week, but over 57 games, ie Panthers since start of 2020. Same result, we are behind Dragons and Rabbitohs sides shown above but ahead of everyone in the NRL era.

If you go to this site, select St George, then Listed By Season you can count them up yourself. Same for us, but it would be painstaking to find the best 50 game run, you'd need to do it manually by checking every club. Maybe if you had an afternoon with nothing better to do.

This page is interesting. It lists all teams' win percentages for all decades. As luck would have it, it captures our current run perfectly, 88.6% win rate since the start of 2020. No other team in any decade can match this, except for Souths in the first two years of the competition, 1908-9, but even that is a tiny sample, only 22 games.

Last edited:

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
6-0 is great. Could not have wished for a better start to this season. I don‘t think we have performed anywhere near our best, don’t have too at such an early stage, but I think the next two games are important. Games we are expected to win. I just think leading into three tough games against the heavyweights we need to start getting towards our best. No cruising so to speak, need 80 minutes, execute well, no soft tries really put the foot to the floor And show what we are capable of.

6-0 is great when our best player and play maker didnt play for the first 3 rounds, it will take Nat about a month to get his full groove back, right in time to take on some of the bigger teams. In saying that we took down 2 of last years top 4 already...

Iamback

Coach

6-0 is good..

Wait until we go into Magic Round at 9-0

The_Frog

First Grade
I thought Raiders late 80's early 90's would be on a few lists like this.

Parra in 80's too.
Too many losses in the regular season and non-elimination finals. Something in this game has changed. The best sides only lose when they've got heaps of outs or against each other. Storm also seem to have trouble with the Eels which fact alone relegates them to 2nd best team.

Raiders in 1990 were defending champions, minor premiers and then premiers but they lost to Bulldogs, Sharks, Eels, Broncos, Panthers (twice) and drew with Illawarra. That year was pretty much the height of their success and the only minor premiership in their history.

Parra's best years were '82 (6 losses) and '86 (7 losses).

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Too many losses in the regular season. Something in this game has changed. The best sides only lose when they've got heaps of outs or against each other. Storm also seem to have trouble with the Eels which fact alone relegates them to 2nd best team.

Raiders in 1990 were defending champions, minor premiers and then premiers but they lost to Bulldogs, Sharks, Eels, Broncos, Panthers (twice) and drew with Illawarra. That year was pretty much the height of their success and the only minor premiership in their history.
It's called professionalism. Can't expect brickies and plumbers to fire every weekend

Munky

Coach
Analytics based game plans play a big part IMO.

Once you have a big enough sample size every player's tendencies can be tracked.

Find the weak link and pound it for eighty minutes.

The good players will adapt their play if found out but there will always be enough average players with average coaching to rack up a score a few times a season.

GongPanther

Referee
You'd need a Statsguru type utility like Cricinfo has, but compared to cricket we are a minor sport. David Middleton keeps a lot of stat records, I imagine he maintains a database on Access or similar, and this one surfaced on the Six Tackles podcast this week, but over 57 games, ie Panthers since start of 2020. Same result, we are behind Dragons and Rabbitohs sides shown above but ahead of everyone in the NRL era.

If you go to this site, select St George, then Listed By Season you can count them up yourself. Same for us, but it would be painstaking to find the best 50 game run, you'd need to do it manually by checking every club. Maybe if you had an afternoon with nothing better to do.

This page is interesting. It lists all teams' win percentages for all decades. As luck would have it, it captures our current run perfectly, 88.6% win rate since the start of 2020. No other team in any decade can match this, except for Souths in the first two years of the competition, 1908-9, but even that is a tiny sample, only 22 games.
Thanks Froggy. :)

pantherz9103

First Grade

Thanks for sharing. Our winning percentage is simply stunning since the start of 2020. The only feather in our cap missing is a World Club Championship title to give us the 'World Champions' tag but winning nearly 90% of matches over more than 2 years, it's freakish yet understated by the media and under respected by rival fans. Never mind, we are still privileged to be seeing it from a Penrith side, especially given our generally mediocre win % historically.