What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Spotters Thread

Nuke

Staff member
Was watching a movie a couple years ago. It was an American movie from the 90s (i think) and in the story the main character comes to Australia and when he is in the hotel room you can see the tv in the background with a Rugby League game on and one of the teams was the Newcastle Knights. Not just that but you also hear the commentary and of course its Ray Warren. Dont know if anyone else has ever seen this though because it was like one of those late movies that starts at like midnight lol.

You're not thinking of 'Bootmen' are you? That had a Newcastle-Manly game from 1998 on in the background. The dad was watching it. If it is the movie you're thinking of, then it wasn't an american movie, but was set and filmed in Newcastle, starring a few Newcastle actors/actresses (Sophie Lee being one), and had Tony Butterfield in a brief cameo as one of the main bad guys.

jimmee007

Juniors
The best one I have seen was the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, they did a segment of Jaywalking and a an american guy was wearing a St George jersey and also a sydney olympics hat.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
You're not thinking of 'Bootmen' are you? That had a Newcastle-Manly game from 1998 on in the background. The dad was watching it. If it is the movie you're thinking of, then it wasn't an american movie, but was set and filmed in Newcastle, starring a few Newcastle actors/actresses (Sophie Lee being one), and had Tony Butterfield in a brief cameo as one of the main bad guys.

Nope was definately an American movie because thats what made me notice it and what made it stick in my head. I mean an Aussie film with a Rugby League match in the background would of been like a US movie with gridiron in the background... wouldnt of stood out at all.

sting

Bench
nah definitely wasn't bootmen.

i have no idea, but i swear i've seen it recently haha f**k

Nuke

Staff member
That being the case, I have no idea which movie you're talking about.

maccattack

Juniors
Not a major sighting I guess but last night I was out jogging - well puffing and panting really - when I saw a young couple approaching.

This is in a south/eastern suburb of Melbourne.

The girl had a red and white scarf on and I though 'urggghh a swans supporter'

But Nuh. It was a Dragons scarf. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsuuuumm.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
At the British Open Golf this year, there was a guy standing at the first tee during the last round directly behind the players, in full veiw of the camera wearing a Manly Jersey. He must of stayed there for ages because everytime they crossed back he had'nt moved.
I have lived in WA for 11 years now, when I first got here you rarely saw RL gear, now I spot people everywhere with hats,Jumpers shirts etc, you even see the odd car with Souths number plates.

maccattack

Juniors
Check out what jumper this champion is wearing

720277656.jpg

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
In an episode of 'Forensic Investigators' they covered a gang- related murder that took place in the Hunter in 1999, and one of the murderers was depicted wearing a 1998 Knights jersey with number 6 on it.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Was watching a movie a couple years ago. It was an American movie from the 90s (i think) and in the story the main character comes to Australia and when he is in the hotel room you can see the tv in the background with a Rugby League game on and one of the teams was the Newcastle Knights. Not just that but you also hear the commentary and of course its Ray Warren. Dont know if anyone else has ever seen this though because it was like one of those late movies that starts at like midnight lol.
that movie was on a sunday on 7 a while ago, i remember it the charcters were american and staying in a hotel and knights vs broncos was playing in the background, the story was about this guy that was trying to kidnap a kid or something, it had a mighty twist at the end

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
Originally Posted by nqcowboy87
that movie was on a sunday on 7 a while ago, i remember it the charcters were american and staying in a hotel and knights vs broncos was playing in the background, the story was about this guy that was trying to kidnap a kid or something, it had a mighty twist at the end
Was it 'Don't say a word'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Say_a_Word

nope it had a bucnh of no names in it, and a completely different storyline

maccattack

Juniors
theres some ad on channel 10 at the moment about recycling or something. In it some guy is wearing a Newtown Jets jumper. How cool.

Paullyboy

Coach
I was on a pub crawl in Berlin last year while the World Cup was on and we were stumbling between two of the pubs when we walked past a completely different pub (which wasn't put of the crawl) - I happened to glance inside and they had the Samoa v Tonga game on, needless to say I abandoned the pub crawl and went and watched it. Was a very surreal experience.

Special K

Coach
I was walking through the coliseum in rome and I saw a guy walking around in the heritage Australian jersey. I wore my sharks jerseys all over europe!

I watched the NRL grand final at an aussie pub at oktoberfest.. Was funny as there was only like 4 storm fans there. I wanted the storm to win and deadset thought there was going to be a riot at one stage. Then in the beer halls that day there was a blow wearing his eels jersey who copped it all day from the fanatics tour which we were both on which was funny.

innsaneink

Referee
Someone described the vid as ''disturbing''

filmed at Saints Rugby League, St Helens UK. apparently

Latest posts