What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Bring him back and let him work up through Wenty. He is to good to not sign up, the kid has got it in him. Let him prove it to all the doubters.

Liam

Juniors
Taia could also be looking to move back into the city and I highly doubt it is Fa'aoso.

Taia is off contract in 2010, Fa'aoso is signed up untill 2012. Taia is loving living up in Newy so I doubt he'll go back to Parra.

TheRam

Coach
based on his form in the ESL and the fact that he'll need a reconstruction on his shoulder and the instability and uncertainty he brings to the club how could we offer this kid a contract before a bloke like Robson??...

it's beyond belief...but I guess there are smarter people than me making this decision so I'll guess i'll run with it if it happens..

Oath and oath you will Stagger. :lol:

TheRam

Coach
If we sign T Smith on an incentive based deal then I think that it is a masterstroke. If he comes back to prove a point and to pay back Parra, then how can this be a bad thing? As for drinking, the real bad influences for that are now gone from our club. As for his shoulder problems, Thurston came back from a double op just this season, and I don't see him having too much trouble coping at the moment.

If Ando can re-jig his game, as he has done for N Hindmarsh, and structure it around a RUNNING game, the kid will be amongst the most lethal halves in the comp. Timmy's problems have always been in his head and he always frustrated me to the max because he would falter on the fifth tackle option because of that, not lack of talent.

It will all depend on Timmy's own attitude and the support we have around him whether he can fulfil his special talent. The big plus though for Timmy and Parra, is we now have in place a CEO that gets it and will make sure that Timmy gets every opportunity to bring out what lies beneath, and a coach I think who also gets it too.

Last edited:

benoir91

Juniors
If we sign T Smith on an incentive based deal then I think that it is a masterstroke. If he comes back to prove a point and to pay back Parra, then how can this be a bad thing? As for drinking, the real bad influences for that are now gone from our club. As for his shoulder problems, Thurston came back from a double op just this season, and I don't see him having too much trouble coping at the moment.

If Ando can re-jig his game, as he has done for N Hindmarsh, and structure it around a RUNNING game, the kid will be amongst the most lethal halves in the comp. Timmy's problems have always been in his head and he always frustrated me to the max because he would falter on the fifth tackle option because of that, not lack of talent.

It will all depend on Timmy's own attitude and the support we have around him whether he can fulfil his special talent. The big plus though for Timmy and Parra, is we now have in place a CEO that gets it and will make sure that Timmy gets every opportunity to bring out what lies beneath, and a coach I think who also gets it too.

Well said, perfect summary of the situation :clap:

Bazal

Post Whore
If we sign T Smith on an incentive based deal then I think that it is a masterstroke. If he comes back to prove a point and to pay back Parra, then how can this be a bad thing? As for drinking, the real bad influences for that are now gone from our club..

This is the most poignant and yet sadly overlooked point IMO. People carry on about his drinking...but forget to mention at least one influential Parramatta player in Tims life at that time. People with conditions like this are very easily influenced, and I speak from experience on that point. If anything, a club run by a guy like Paul Osborne might well be the BEST thing for a bloke like Tim Smith, even if he sits in Wenty for a season or so before making his mark

TheRam

Coach
This is the most poignant and yet sadly overlooked point IMO. People carry on about his drinking...but forget to mention at least one influential Parramatta player in Tims life at that time. People with conditions like this are very easily influenced, and I speak from experience on that point. If anything, a club run by a guy like Paul Osborne might well be the BEST thing for a bloke like Tim Smith, even if he sits in Wenty for a season or so before making his mark

Spot on Bazal. With people that have psychological problems it is pretty obvious that they will be easy targets for extrinsic influences to lead them astray. Ossie may just turn out to be the best signing this club has made since Ray Price from Yawnion.

Gronk

Staff member
I think that Tim's attributes are clear. His long passing game and short kicking game are certainly world class. He has the X factor and because of that I understand why there is speculation about giving him a second (or is that third or fourth ?) chance.

On the downside, he has a history of mental health problems, alcohol problems, shoulder problems, general fitness problems and (compared to Robbo or even Morts) is viewed as a liability in defence. Then we have our friends at the Telecrap who will put a man on him 24/7 and members of the public who will snap mobile phone pics of him even walking past a pub.

Meanwhile we have Morts, KK & Robbo at the club who are squeaky clean and are capable of growing as players and rising to a higher level.

I say it's a bad move. :arrow:

I think that Tim's attributes are clear. His long passing game and short kicking game are certainly world class. He has the X factor and because of that I understand why there is speculation about giving him a second (or is that third or fourth ?) chance.

On the downside, he has a history of mental health problems, alcohol problems, shoulder problems, general fitness problems and (compared to Robbo or even Morts) is viewed as a liability in defence. Then we have our friends at the Telecrap who will put a man on him 24/7 and members of the public who will snap mobile phone pics of him even walking past a pub.

Meanwhile we have Morts, KK & Robbo at the club who are squeaky clean and are capable of growing as players and rising to a higher level.

I would love to have Tim back but you put a very good arguement.

Didn't Jodeci say that Mortimer would be off to the Dogs no matter what in 2011??

Maybe, we would need Tim if this will happen.

The Colonel

Immortal

This is my biggest concern with it...... that and the added pressure of our "I want Tim Smith back but I don't want him to be our saviour but he's among the best halfbacks in the world and we'll win a premiership with him" friends. Then there are those that are saying he owes us for last time..... The weight of expectation.... both good and bad are seemingly what lead to him leaving in the first place.

Yes, the club may have better people in place this time but even when he started to get into trouble there were still some of these people within the club anyway.

I may be being overly pessimistic but I firmly believe such a move will end in tears once again.

The Colonel

Immortal
Morts is going to leave for the dogs as soon as kimmorely goes...

Tim Smith, come on down.

Well, I've been told differently myself...... and that is more along the lines of that Morts would rather make his name for himself as opposed to following in the steps of his family.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
This is my biggest concern with it...... that and the added pressure of our "I want Tim Smith back but I don't want him to be our saviour but he's among the best halfbacks in the world and we'll win a premiership with him" friends. Then there are those that are saying he owes us for last time..... The weight of expectation.... both good and bad are seemingly what lead to him leaving in the first place.

Yes, the club may have better people in place this time but even when he started to get into trouble there were still some of these people within the club anyway.

I may be being overly pessimistic but I firmly believe such a move will end in tears once again.
When in form and playing well there is no doubt, not even you yourself can not say that tim isn't one of the best halfbacks in the nrl. We have all seen what he is capable of. But the best thing to do for him and for the club is to work him up trough wenty, he will get his shot when playing well.

Be stupid not to sign a guy with so much talent.

The Colonel

Immortal
When in form and playing well there is no doubt, not even you yourself can not say that tim isn't one of the best halfbacks in the nrl. We have all seen what he is capable of. But the best thing to do for him and for the club is to work him up trough wenty, he will get his shot when playing well.

Be stupid not to sign a guy with so much talent.

Can you get it out of your head that is an ability issue?

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Can you get it out of your head that is an ability issue?
Mate we will argue all day, Tim has had his issues, he has been away for a while. He comes back to the club, in a serious relationship(which in most cases settles the bloke down), his drinking buddies riddell and finch have gone, he won't come back and get introuble again. Do you honestly think DA and Ossie are that stupid? they obviously like most on here see tim has the ability and potential to still cut it in the NRL, sure he has had his problems in years gone by, but he has matured now and there will be certain people in the club that are going to be great for tim and help him through.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mate we will argue all day, Tim has had his issues, he has been away for a while. He comes back to the club, in a serious relationship(which in most cases settles the bloke down), his drinking buddies riddell and finch have gone, he won't come back and get introuble again. Do you honestly think DA and Ossie are that stupid? they obviously like most on here see tim has the ability and potential to still cut it in the NRL, sure he has had his problems in years gone by, but he has matured now and there will be certain people in the club that are going to be great for tim and help him through.

really? and you know that for sure do you?...

2 of his closest friends are no longer at the club, he won't be able to do any contact training until well into the off season and even then there's no guarentee that his shoulder won't withstand the punishment, he's been playing reserve grade for Wigan, if he's as talented as potrayed in here he'd be in the top 3 halfbacks in that comp and last but not least if he pay more than 80K sign on fee than we've lost the plot completely...

I'm sure there are 15 clubs out there praying that we sign him and then continue to pray that we play him.

really? and you know that for sure do you?...

2 of his closest friends are no longer at the club, he won't be able to do any contact training until well into the off season and even then there's no guarentee that his shoulder won't withstand the punishment, he's been playing reserve grade for Wigan, if he's as talented as potrayed in here he'd be in the top 3 halfbacks in that comp and last but not least if he pay more than 80K sign on fee than we've lost the plot completely...

I'm sure there are 15 clubs out there praying that we sign him and then continue to pray that we play him.

But in DA we trust..... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts