What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wouldn't read too much into the Leuluai thing tbh...that nuffy was to Noble what Lowrie was to Hagan, must have been his long lost son or something. Useless player, but Noble couldn't pick a side without him unless he was injured.

I for one can take or leave Timmy after the amount of water that has passed under the bridge....But the thing that gets me about the Tim Smith situation is how many people simply dismiss his signing for no good reason. Really, at 60 odd grand and coming back through Wenty, what exactly do we have to lose? If he fires, we get one of the more dangerous attacking halves around for a bargain, and if he doesn't then we've got a decent player for Wenty and a back up at an appropriate price. I don't know about everyone else, but (and I have nothing against Robson, he's doing a good enough job all things considered) when your back up halfbacks biggest strength is his defence, then it's time to move on. It's no good if he lacks even the most basic attacking skills. Smith would be a gamble, sure, but I rank Poore, Tahu and Shackleton as bigger gambles given the money we spent on them. How many people are complaining about them?

Just as an aside on this, a mate of mine used to work with Osbourne and he reckons that if this is true, it will be because Ossie can't help but help people...it would mean that he sees something in Tim not just as a player, but as a person and wants to help him along the road to realising that something. Sounds like the kinda bloke who will be great for us :D

With the exception of Tahu, we needed those players desperately. A good prop and a good second-rower are precisely what the team needed, and given our recent record, we were never going to attract to rep level layers without paying a fair bit.

Keating and Mortimer haven't had the chance the achieve too much - they've only just started their careers and they've mostly been playing behind a woeful pack. However, I believe we can all say we have seen enough to suggest these two youngsters would be a very good combination in the future - meaning signing a halfback isn't a 'need' per se.

My two cents.

hybrideel

Bench
I think Baz's Lowrie comparison was spot on. Sure he is playing well now but how many people could say he deserved to be in the team in the Hagan days?

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
in terms of his stint at Wigan, he was struggling big time and couldn't oust thomas luelalie as the chief playmaker that with the operation concerns me alot..i have no problems with what you said after that and would be more than happy to be proven wrong there and unlike other people I won't go hiding if he does prove to be a roaring success.

Number's on the jersey mean nothing. Smith was the 'go to man' on 90% of the plays, not to mention he was always the primary kicker when getting out of their half.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
If we sign T Smith on an incentive based deal then I think that it is a masterstroke. If he comes back to prove a point and to pay back Parra, then how can this be a bad thing? As for drinking, the real bad influences for that are now gone from our club. As for his shoulder problems, Thurston came back from a double op just this season, and I don't see him having too much trouble coping at the moment.

If Ando can re-jig his game, as he has done for N Hindmarsh, and structure it around a RUNNING game, the kid will be amongst the most lethal halves in the comp. Timmy's problems have always been in his head and he always frustrated me to the max because he would falter on the fifth tackle option because of that, not lack of talent.

It will all depend on Timmy's own attitude and the support we have around him whether he can fulfil his special talent. The big plus though for Timmy and Parra, is we now have in place a CEO that gets it and will make sure that Timmy gets every opportunity to bring out what lies beneath, and a coach I think who also gets it too.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap, well said Ram :thumb

What has been forgotten here in this debate is the real gifts of love MAN really is. These gifts inspire us to grow and be better. It's the least we can do for Timmy. To bring the best out of each other requires a nurturing, supportive environment - it is not about dollars and cents.

The Golden Age of the Eels will be built around caring for each other. PO & DA will show the way. This is where DF (& others) lost the plot. The old brigade of PS, RP, SE, BK, MC, etc, learnt this from JG and with DA & PO, this caring, nurturing, supportive environment will rub off on all the players, the officials, the club, the region etc.

When we pass away we can't take the $$$$$ with us but we do take the MAN and a MAN can only be created out of acts of love. Its time to stop looking at players like souless stock items on the stock market and start treating them as MAN.

Football is only a sport but it can be used to create MAN to inspire others in the community. A community is built out of MAN. A community can't be built out of soulless commodities.

Booooo Casper:lol::lol::lol:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
This is the most poignant and yet sadly overlooked point IMO. People carry on about his drinking...but forget to mention at least one influential Parramatta player in Tims life at that time. People with conditions like this are very easily influenced, and I speak from experience on that point. If anything, a club run by a guy like Paul Osborne might well be the BEST thing for a bloke like Tim Smith, even if he sits in Wenty for a season or so before making his mark

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap well said Bazal:thumb

Boooooo Casper;-)
icon7.gif

Stagger eel

Staff member
my God!..and RJ thought that the Lowrie thread was hysterical...

I honestly think i'm going to be ill.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
really? and you know that for sure do you?...

2 of his closest friends are no longer at the club, he won't be able to do any contact training until well into the off season and even then there's no guarentee that his shoulder won't withstand the punishment, he's been playing reserve grade for Wigan, if he's as talented as potrayed in here he'd be in the top 3 halfbacks in that comp and last but not least if he pay more than 80K sign on fee than we've lost the plot completely...

I'm sure there are 15 clubs out there praying that we sign him and then continue to pray that we play him.

Stagger, It all comes down to Timmy taking FULL RESPONSIBILITY for his life. PO & DA know very well what 'FULL RESPONSIBILITY" means. There is no such thing as a back door (a cop out) with these two men. If Timmy is given the opportunity and if he takes full responsibility for his life and dreams etc he will blossom beyond all our wildest expectations.

But it doesn't just stop with Timmy, watch how KI, JH, PM, KK, DM, etc, will blossom without any back doors available to escape/cop out. What Paul Osborne brings to this club is a standard of integrity, sincerity and purity, set higher than even Jack Gibson. Its time we ALL support Paul and DA and inspire them to help others like Timmy become a MAN and not a cop out, a wasted gift.

Boooo Casper
icon7.gif

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
as long as he looks after your favourite boys that's the main thing...;-)

mm!! speaking of nice guys..lol

Stagger, love only operates in the REAL world. Love is nothing to be ashamed of or shy away from. Why does there have to be immense suffering before men come together without discrimination.

Hollywood has made love only for the soppy but there is nothing soppy about love. In reality we are all brothers and sisters. Its only that we have been taught to hate and fight one another.

Which side of the fence are you sitting on???

Would it not be better to have no fence at all???

Boooooo Casper:nwave:

hybrideel

Bench
Stagger, It all comes down to Timmy taking FULL RESPONSIBILITY for his life. PO & DA know very well what 'FULL RESPONSIBILITY" means. There is no such thing as a back door (a cop out) with these two men. If Timmy is given the opportunity and if he takes full responsibility for his life and dreams etc he will blossom beyond all our wildest expectations.

But it doesn't just stop with Timmy, watch how KI, JH, PM, KK, DM, etc, will blossom without any back doors available to escape/cop out. What Paul Osborne brings to this club is a standard of integrity, sincerity and purity, set higher than even Jack Gibson. Its time we ALL support Paul and DA and inspire them to help others like Timmy become a MAN and not a cop out, a wasted gift.

Boooo Casper
icon7.gif

Could be me being dumb but i don't know any player we have or have confirmed the signing of with those initials

Stagger eel

Staff member
Stagger, love only operates in the REAL world. Love is nothing to be ashamed of or shy away from. Why does there have to be immense suffering before men come together without discrimination.

Hollywood has made love only for the soppy but there is nothing soppy about love. In reality we are all brothers and sisters. Its only that we have been taught to hate and fight one another.

Which side of the fence are you sitting on???

Would it not be better to have no fence at all???

Boooooo Casper:nwave:

my religion is the church of Parramatta, my God is Nathan Hindmarsh..

my love is for my club first...Depending on how he's shoulder pulls up Tim Smith is a distinct second..:lol:

stuke

Bench
just to throw a spanner in the works...has Todd Carney actually signed with the Roosters? Ossie took him off to Rwanda last year with Hindy and Poore....;-)

natheel

Coach
just to throw a spanner in the works...has Todd Carney actually signed with the Roosters? Ossie took him off to Rwanda last year with Hindy and Poore....;-)

lol it seems ossie is trying to slowly re-build that rwanda team back here at parra, hindy and poore, who else was there? payten, carney, har-greaves (whatever)

Eelementary

Post Whore

Not sure his character fits Ossie's type. Rightfully so. Super talent, super dickhead.

natheel

Coach
lets put tim smith in the maybe pile for the moment....who else does everything think/hope ossie is looking at bringing to the club....i for one hope he brings someone like nigel plum to the club....good hard worker and a big hitter

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not exactly pro-signing Timmy, but there's a difference between him and Carney. Yes, Timmy carried on like a pork chop. But Carney is a borderline criminal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts