What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Crashtest

Juniors
I like to look at those around. To compare

Storm have gone all in with an elite spine - Assuming Papenhuyzen can stay on the field

Roosters went and paid elite money for a hooker.

Souths top 3 players are FB, 6 and 9.

Ours are Cleary, Yeo and either fish or Luai.
So the scope should be there to add more class but the club is too conservative.

I for one am glad we didn’t go to market and blow $800k of the cap on a player like Brandon Smith to fill our hooker role. We are a different team to the Roossters and Storm, and see Yeo as more vital to our style of play than an elite 9, and so pay him accordingly.

Why do we need to follow what other teams are doing? What we are doing is working for our type of club, which is why we have been in 3 straight grand finals.

I for one am glad we didn’t go to market and blow $800k of the cap on a player like Brandon Smith to fill our hooker role. We are a different team to the Roossters and Storm, and see Yeo as more vital to our style of play than an elite 9, and so pay him accordingly.

Why do we need to follow what other teams are doing? What we are doing is working for our type of club, which is why we have been in 3 straight grand finals.
The service from dummy half is vital, they have to be crisp passes for good sets. If Nathan doesn't get the ball clean, how does Yeo do his thing? Those 3 Grand Finals was partially because of our elite 9.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Kikau in advance 100%. I wouldn't have tabled him an offer, same with Critter. Bang simples. We tried to keep everyone and lost them all
We didn't need to pick anyone to let go. Just prioritize the irreplaceable player and do what it takes to keep him (Api). Tigers offer was reasonable and we could have matched it if we had our priorities straight.

Once that deal was done, we figure out offers to Kikau, Crichton, Leniu etc. who we lost anyway. Trying to keep them all is why we lost them all.

I don't see how anyone can say it's good management losing them all simply because we have an embarrassment of riches in the lower grades. It's terrible management. We're just in a position where we can f**k up and do alright still.

It was 100% obvious Api was the most important player to keep. 3 years and 3 grand finals for us since he returned. He made our spine perfect.

Honestly if I were in charge I wouldn't have ever tabled Critter an offer, I would have put Api as priority and then had generous offers to Kikau, Leniu etc. once done. Nothing against Critter, but outside backs have been the position where we keep striking gold. He wasn't worth half what he wanted to us IMO. We can replace him with a quality player internally at a quarter of his price. Giving us the funds to keep blokes we can't go close to replacing with similar quality.

Hooker was so clearly an issue though. I don't see how anyone looked at Kenny and Luke and thought these guys can cover the loss of Api. Luke with his injury history and Kenny because the bloke is literally the most ineffective hooker in the competition. I would argue we have seen more from Peachey at hooker this year than Kenny and he spent 20ish minutes there. Luke comes on and we look like a different team instantly.

Iamback

Coach

A team is only top for so long, Those teams are recruiting to beat us. We either evolve or fall away.

What we did worked with the cattle we had, defence can only get only get you so far

Hindsight we keep Api
Kikau been replaced (Hosking)
Crichton with Turuva, Jenkins, Cole (take your pick)
Lenui with L. Smith with others coming up the grade.

I'm watching Brandon Hands closely at Parra.

Crashtest

Juniors
A team is only top for so long, Those teams are recruiting to beat us. We either evolve or fall away.

What we did worked with the cattle we had, defence can only get only get you so far

I agree we need to keep evolving as a team. I just disagree that going to market to buy star players is the way to evolve.

We are in a unique situation with the current strength of our junior base and the long list of potential stars coming through, as highlighted by winning all four grades last year. So the approach and decision the club makes needs to reflect that, not follow what other clubs with no junior bases of their own are doing.

Iamback

Coach
I agree we need to keep evolving as a team. I just disagree that going to market to buy star players is the way to evolve.

We are in a unique situation with the current strength of our junior base and the long list of potential stars coming through, as highlighted by winning all four grades last year. So the approach and decision the club makes needs to reflect that, not follow what other clubs with no junior bases of their own are doing.

It isn't so much a star player, Someone signed for Market value on average wage

Garner and Peachey took paycuts.
Hosking would be on Minimum wage.

I get we tried to keep Crichton and Spencer, We lost out so put that money into a decent external signing

Hooked

Juniors
Why external signing?

Fills in the gaps in the roster. Talent wise or depth. We can't develop talent in every position. Sometimes junior development there can be shortfalls in positions. Either some players don't make the grade or take longer than expected. Or you lose them to rivals. Or serious injury.

Externals like Api, Capewell, Mom, TPJ and Sorensen were all important signings for our premierships.
Externals are also good to freshen the squad up. Keep competition for spots fierce.

Crashtest

Juniors
Fills in the gaps in the roster. Talent wise or depth. We can't develop talent in every position. Sometimes junior development there can be shortfalls in positions. Either some players don't make the grade or take longer than expected. Or you lose them to rivals. Or serious injury.

Externals like Api, Capewell, Mom, TPJ and Sorensen were all important signings for our premierships.
Externals are also good to freshen the squad up. Keep competition for spots fierce.
But we did that again this year though, with Peachey, Hosking, Cogger and Garner.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Geeez our Nsw cup side has no talent in the forwards..only good player is Blacker but the rest are shocking..also the halves are terrible and Peachy has proved he doesn't have a motor.

Latest posts