What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Hindsight we keep Api
Kikau been replaced (Hosking)
Crichton with Turuva, Jenkins, Cole (take your pick)
Lenui with L. Smith with others coming up the grade.

I'm watching Brandon Hands closely at Parra.
But if we keep Api we lose someone else besides the three you mention above that we have lost as well.

So who else do we lose; Cleary? Fish? Yeo? To’o? Luai?

But if we keep Api we lose someone else besides the three you mention above that we have lost as well.

So who else do we lose; Cleary? Fish? Yeo? To’o? Luai?
That's about $1.6m in talent I mentioned. But if you want another player removed, than both Luke and kenny could go. But I don't think that would be needed.

That's about $1.6m in talent I mentioned. But if you want another player removed, than both Luke and kenny could go. But I don't think that would be needed.
Well we are no paying Kiks this year so can’t be used to pay Api this year (unless you are arguing we should have let Kiks go a year early (in a year when we won the comp) and front loaded). Critta is on good coin and could have been shipped, but Spencer (I am assuming) is not on a lot.

Can you use some theoretical numbers to explai what you are thinking?

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You’ll have to explain how that works; Api isn’t a mid-level signing. If we give him 800k that is 800k we need to find somewhere else; and that means (given a balanced cap) we need to lose a player on very good coin.
Api needed a decent upgrade but it was much less than the contracts we offered Kikau, Crichton and Spencer. We have then signed Garner and Hosking. Plus a few upgrades. We had pleanty enough to keep him

Api needed a decent upgrade but it was much less than the contracts we offered Kikau, Crichton and Spencer. We have then signed Garner and Hosking. Plus a few upgrades. We had pleanty enough to keep him
Concept in economics knows as sunk cost. We couldn’t afford to keep those players you mention; their loss is a sunk cost. You can’t use that to pay for players as it is already ‘sunk’ on existing players. We would need to lose (on top of those already lost) the same amount as we would sign Api for to keep within the cap.

Well we are no paying Kiks this year so can’t be used to pay Api this year (unless you are arguing we should have let Kiks go a year early (in a year when we won the comp) and front loaded). Critta is on good coin and could have been shipped, but Spencer (I am assuming) is not on a lot.

Can you use some theoretical numbers to explai what you are thinking?
You prioritise your Spine players

snickers007

Juniors
If Garner and Martin are fit next week, The NSW Cup edge will be 28 year old Chris Smith - who is zero chance of a long career here and Garner who some people doubt is a FG.

So if the plan is Hassett or Mav to replace from within they should be playing against fringe guys now to help the development. Instead of
Putting more plodders in their way.

Yeah our NSW Cup selections have been baffling this year.

Chris Smith is a 5th string NRL second rower (at best) this year. He absolutely needs to make way for someone with a future, whether that is MavG, Hassett or Riki.

Peachey should not be starting at Hooker ahead of Somerton, or starting Centre ahead of Jenkins.

Even Falls at 6 ahead of Cole.

In a winning team there is value in playing youngsters anywhere just to get them used to the speed and physicality of a higher grade.

But when you're losing, you're better off putting the right pieces in the right spots and playing the longer game.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah our NSW Cup selections have been baffling this year.

Chris Smith is a 5th string NRL second rower (at best) this year. He absolutely needs to make way for someone with a future, whether that is MavG, Hassett or Riki.

Peachey should not be starting at Hooker ahead of Somerton, or starting Centre ahead of Jenkins.

Even Falls at 6 ahead of Cole.

In a winning team there is value in playing youngsters anywhere just to get them used to the speed and physicality of a higher grade.

But when you're losing, you're better off putting the right pieces in the right spots and playing the longer game.

If Tago or Crichton go down. McLean or Jenkins are next up yet both are on the wing.

If Luai makes Origin. Cole would be next up yet Falls is in NSW Cup

Spencer and Crichton going has been announced early, We should be getting options ready.

Stimson or Peachey aren't going to be NRL centres so shouldn't be blocking the other guys

Munky

Coach
I like to look at those around. To compare

Storm have gone all in with an elite spine - Assuming Papenhuyzen can stay on the field

Roosters went and paid elite money for a hooker.

Souths top 3 players are FB, 6 and 9.

Ours are Cleary, Yeo and either fish or Luai.
So the scope should be there to add more class but the club is too conservative.

Look at the starting props and locks for the past decade

2022: Fish, Yeo and Leota
2021: Fish, Yeo and Leota
2020: Bromwich, Welch and NAS
2019: JWH, Lui and Radley
2018: JWH, Radley and Taukeiaho
2017: Bromwich, McLean and Finucane
2016: Fifita, Prior and Gallen
2015: Scott, Tamou and Taumalolo
2014: Burgess, Burgess and Tyrell (lol)
2013: Moa, JWH and Cordner.

You may play some nice footy with a flashy spine but you ain't winning shit without some prize pigs.

Last edited:

Latest posts