What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Swarzey

Bench
Not surprised at all. No way were we going to hang onto him and I'm glad we didn't get into a fight to keep him with an over the top contract; wish the kid all the best. I'm sure we're going to overlook the club resigning multiple, quality junior talent just to lay it in after one potential player got away.

As for Ross, incredibly shit, would rather see him be kept in NSW Cup or moved on but we're pretty tight when it comes to quality depth.

slotmachine

First Grade
letting holland move on when he didn't want to stay for less was smart
giving a 27 year old journeyman winger an upgrade when he was already contracted for 2016 is dumb

still, better than lately when everything was dumb

harrywilliams

Juniors
Ross probably wouldn't have got an upgrade in terms of money, he'd still be on NSW Cup money but he's a decent back up winger to have for another year.

perverse

Referee
He's signed that Sea Eagles half as well as letting Clydsdale go

Ah, right you are. Letting go of clippity clop is definitely a good move, full points there. I know nothing about the young Manly half, but we've got a few good young ones here already in Feeney, Cogger and Lamb... so it's less exciting even if he is a prospect.

Holland showed some promise, would have been nice if he stayed - but it's definitely prudent to let him go against a Bulldogs offer. Extending Ross for no reason whatsoever is just weird and unnecessary.

Burwood

Bench
Ross probably wouldn't have got an upgrade in terms of money, he'd still be on NSW Cup money but he's a decent back up winger to have for another year.

I was thinking the same, but the article specifically says that they upgraded his existing 2016 contract and extended into 2017. Hopefully he has gone from 2nd tier to being on minimum salary in the NRL squad. It's somewhere around $80,000 from memory.

I wonder if this could be a precursor to McManus retiring?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Letting Holland go is one thing, but letting Holland go and re-signing/upgrading Nathan Ross is just plain dumb.

Holland had 1 good game (it would have been "same old Knights" if we had broken the bank trying to keep him) and Ross's upgrade is probably moving him up to the NRL minimum wage.

This is NSW Cup level gossip at best....

PhilGould

Bench
Holland had 1 good game (it would have been "same old Knights" if we had broken the bank trying to keep him) and Ross's upgrade is probably moving him up to the NRL minimum wage.

This is NSW Cup level gossip at best....
I see a lot more in Holland than Ross. Would've preferred us to offer Holland the money that we were giving to Ross and let Ross go to another club. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
We cant keep them all so letting Holland go was a reasonable move. I dont get why we would extend ross's contract another year. The club should have seen how he was going over the first 8-10 weeks of 2016 and made a decision then.

macavity

Referee
And the rich get richer.

The fact the dogs can "blow us out of the water" (apparently offering him first tier money) when they are perennial contenders and we are spooners is insane.

perverse

Referee
And the rich get richer.

The fact the dogs can "blow us out of the water" (apparently offering him first tier money) when they are perennial contenders and we are spooners is insane.

It's certainly ridiculous. Broken cap, etc.

He is a depth signing by the Bulldogs! I am truly blown away by some of the carry on over a player who is another Mantellato. It is NSW F'ing Cup! Browny probably told him take it or leave it.

Johns Magic

Referee
Holland kicks goals doesn't he? How well?

They are short a proper goal kicker next year in the top grade. If he's good enough to hold down a wing spot maybe that's the logic. That would mean dropping Perrett though who they are pretty loyal to.

Knight Vision

First Grade
And the rich get richer.

Indeed, and for mine represents the major problem with the game. It's integrity. The cap is a mess.

Joel-22

Juniors
If things don't work out with Brown, im done as a fan. I'll never be able to change teams but I wont be going to games or identifying as a knights' fan anymore that's for sure.
To be honest, my interest has dwindled the last 18 months anyway.

slotmachine

First Grade
The NRL should release the total third party each club has registered so that we can remove the illusion of parity, but that's not going to happen.

Noname36

First Grade
The NRL should release the total third party each club has registered so that we can remove the illusion of parity, but that's not going to happen.

I think it was Ikin I heard suggest this a while ago and I think it's a really good idea. It would cut through the bullshit when you can see why clubs with rosters millions of dollars over the cap are consistently beating sides that can only spend the salary cap. Everyone knows that's what's happening but it won't let the NRL hide from the unfair nature of the game anymore if those figures are there in black and white.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im not sure when it was that "parity" became the goal of the salary cap, but it sure as hell didnt begin that way....

The salary cap was introduced to keep clubs from sending themselves broke by spending their own money, not to limit what players could earn.