What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

macavity

Referee
Even front ending contracts is a massive risk these day. Imagine if we front ended guys like Tapine or Sims who left the club before their contract expired.

Would only happen to us.

On topic, I fully expect them to release Tolman, and for us to fight over the sloppy seconds.

cb4

First Grade
On the Ricky Leutele rumour, his misses has moved back to Brisbane with their kids. He will be a Titan, sounds like Rothfield just being a clown again.

Choppy182

Juniors
What's the story with Mataora? He was nothing special last year, however I would have put his efforts slightly above what Starling has offered this year.

He's playing reserve grade, I thought he was one of our best in the forwards in the first half of last year. I've heard its an attitude issue and Brown opted for Yates and Sam Stone to make debuts purely based on effort at training. Starling has been garbage. Daniel Saifiti and Mataora would be a big duo.

Mataora worked his guts out to lose weight, get fitter and make the grade last year. He did seem to slip as the year went on.
He is capable but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an attitude problem.

Spot On

Coach
I don't get these blokes (if it is an attitude problem). Why not rip in, play first grade, earn more cash and be successful??

Otherwise, piss off

Johns Magic

Referee
Good to hear Brown still feels optimistic about recruitment for next year. Sounds like if we get Guerra we are also after two good props, a quality half and a good centre.

AIDAN Guerra is on the Knights’ shopping list, and so are a couple of experienced, high-quality front-rowers.

You can throw a proven play-maker and a strike centre into the mix.

Nathan Brown is adamant that the Knights roster will “change dramatically next year” but the coach is hopeful rather than confident of bolstering the squad before the June 30 cut off.

“Anyone we are talking to is generally more for next year,” Brown said on Tuesday. “But as we have seen in this game, strange things can happen with people moving at different stages.”

Guerra is the latest big name to be linked to a move to the Hunter. In this case, the Queensland back-rower is reported to have approached the Knights.

“We have certainly had a chat to Aidan,” Brown said. “We think a player of his experience – he has played Origin and won grand finals – could certainly help our squad.”

Guerra made his debut for the Roosters in 2010 and has racked up 140 game for the Tricolours, highlighted by the 2013 premiership. Queensland’s 28-4 loss to NSW in last week’s Origin opener was the 29-year-old’s 10th appearance for the Maroons. If the Knights do broker an agreement with off-contract edge player it will be for 2018 and beyond.

However, former Knights coach Michael Hagan highlighted on radio this week an urgent need for troops now. In particular forwards to take the heat off the young tyros, who struggled to match the physicality of the Storm in the 20-12 loss on Friday.

“What Hages is saying is a fair statement,” Brown said. “ What you need to do and what you can do … we certainly have the finances for it. At the moment, the players we are looking at are in clubs who are going very well. Those clubs won’t let them go because they are all looking to play finals football. We certainly do think for our squad going forward, we do need a few middles which we have already said and had shots at a few. What we don’t want to do is buy a couple of ordinary ones to fill your roster up.”

Sam Mataora (111kg) and Pauli Pauli (125kg) fit the big-men bill, but have been languishing in reserve grade after disrupted pre-seasons.

“Both played well last week in reserve grade against a very good Warriors side,” Brown said. “They both have the talent, there are just some little areas of their game they have to tidy up.”

To date the Knights have missed recruitment targets Jack Bird, Matt Scott, Kieran Foran, Dale Fincuane and Ben Matulino. Their only kill has been teenager Kayln Ponga. Cooper Cronk, James Graham and James Maloney remain on their hit list.

“There are a lot of good players on the market,” Brown said. “For us it is about being patient. I know we keep saying that. It is no good going and paying big money for the wrong players.”

Brown has made one change to the 17 for the clash against Manly at Lottloand Stadium on Friday.

Sam Stone (sternum) has been replaced by Josh King.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4711860/guerra-on-hit-list-as-knights-look-forward/

perverse

Referee
I really don't care much for Guerra. You could sub him out for just about anyone in every Origin game he's played and not notice his absence. His worth on paper is far beyond his actual value imo. Not a leaders arsehole. Reminds me of signing Hodko - done purely on the back of being an "origin player". Guerra will be very lucky to play another Origin, and was lucky to play as many as he has.

Hard to imagine Brown coming out and saying he's totally duffed it for next year, JM - of course he's optimistic.

Johns Magic

Referee
I really don't care much for Guerra. You could sub him out for just about anyone in every Origin game he's played and not notice his absence. His worth on paper is far beyond his actual value imo. Not a leaders arsehole. Reminds me of signing Hodko - done purely on the back of being an "origin player". Guerra will be very lucky to play another Origin, and was lucky to play as many as he has.

Hard to imagine Brown coming out and saying he's totally duffed it for next year, JM - of course he's optimistic.

I was a Hodko basher from day one but I will put my name down as a Guerra fan. I don't think he'll be on huge dollars and think he has the goods when he wants to show it.

Let's see where the recruitment drive ends up.

perverse

Referee
I was a Hodko basher from day one but I will put my name down as a Guerra fan. I don't think he'll be on huge dollars and think he has the goods when he wants to show it.

Let's see where the recruitment drive ends up.
He's nowhere near as bad as Hodko, just has a similar stink about it to me. Guerra is on his way down, not up... and how many small backrowers do we really need? At the moment the only bloke I could imagine we move to accommodate him would be our current captain.

Granted, I guess we have to take what we can get at this point... but geez, I'd certainly be warmer to a Guerra-calibre signing in any other position on the field at the moment.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I'll take what we can get at this stage. Adding Guerra to our 2nd row positions will only increase competitiveness for a spot.

Not sure where we play him. Maybe off the bench.

Johns Magic

Referee
Barnett definitely needs some help at lock. Even in form this year he was only good for 50 mins a game in the middle.

I do think Guerra is better on an edge but a backrow rotation of Buhrer/Guerra/Sione/Barnett/Wardle in whatever way they form, with a front-row rotation of Dan/Jacob/#1 signing mentioned above/#2 signing mentioned above is a lot better than what we are running out at the moment. Obviously the crux are the two prop signings we are hoping to make so let's not get ahead of ourselves...

EDIT: Also a relief that we aren't looking at Wardle as first-choice centre next year although I didn't think that was likely.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Im with pervy that id be more excited by a signing like Guerra if it were literally in any other position than back row. Its the one position we are best served in at the moment

Im not keen on moving Sione back to centre, I like Barnett starting at lock and im also not keen on the idea of moving Buhrer from his 80min backrow spot

I really dont know where to fit him

Johns Magic

Referee
Im with pervy that id be more excited by a signing like Guerra if it were literally in any other position than back row. Its the one position we are best served in at the moment

I know what you mean but I feel like every club says this about their backrow. I have said this in the past but having Gallen/Graham/Lewis doesn't stop Cronulla from naming Bukuya and Heighington every week who are great contributors. The more quality forwards the better. Otherwise you end up running out a backrow of Stone, Yates and King throughout the season.

slotmachine

First Grade
Need depth as well. Hopefully Yates, Fitzgibbon and King don't have to see first grade in 2018.

Even with potentially two new signings front row is still paper thin. King and the Saifitis are the only three we have for 2018 currently.

perverse

Referee
I know what you mean but I feel like every club says this about their backrow. I have said this in the past but having Gallen/Graham/Lewis doesn't stop Cronulla from naming Bukuya and Heighington every week who are great contributors. The more quality forwards the better. Otherwise you end up running out a backrow of Stone, Yates and King throughout the season.
Yep, fair point.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Guerra has spent much more time in the middle than Bukuya ever had. They will have to find a way to make it work.

Yeah i guess

Having Barnett and Guerra share lock with maybe Buhrer going to DH to spell Levi is a fair rotation

Either way, it will be nice to get some confirmed signings soon

voltron

Juniors
maybe we should wait until the Origin II team is announced and hopefully Guerra has been left off.
So we can get away with paying him ex-rep player money