What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I get why people are a bit scarred after the Hodko signing but I feel that the Guerra thing is a bit different.

- Firstly he's not playing in a key position so if he's not showing good form it's a lot easier to drop him and it would have less of an effect on our side, also we're relatively strong in the back row so we have others there to replace him if he wasn't up to it
- Brown wouldn't be offering him $600k like Hages & Stone did with Hodko. Given how tight Brown and Mooney have been with our purse strings this season I can't imagine them offering Guerra a cent more than what they deem he is worth, and they definitely won't be paying overs for him either
- Guerra also comes from a team that has been very successful over the last 5 or so years (baring last year of course) so would bring that experience with him, while we got Hodko when the Bulldogs were starting to go down hill, which they have continued to do for a couple of years since he left

Also I can appreciate why people aren't sure where he would fit into our side but at the end of the day adding to one of our strengths isn't exactly a bad thing, and it would at least serve to strengthen our bench which is still by far the worst in the league. Also there's always going to be injuries so having that depth is important.

We need props, not back rowers.
Our backrowers are going to perform much better if we don't keep asking them to do the hitups props should be doing. We tire them out.

Choppy182

Juniors
Cronk must be so whipped, honestly. I don't want him anyway, would rather someone who will give 100% to the club not just a cash grab. Besides, to me he'll be bit of a lottery, hasn't played in a team without Smith, Slater, JT, Inglis e.t.c.

Maloney on the other hand, throw the chequebook at him.

PhilGould

Bench
Buzz Rothfield reckons Guerra is a done deal.

Personally I'd have
8. Daifiti
9. Levi
10. Jaifiti/New signing
11. Smat
12. Buhrer
13. Guerra

14. Barnett
15. New prop signing/Jaifiti
16. New prop signing
17. New utility signing/Dylan Phythian/Tom Starling

macavity

Referee
Guerra is a relatively big back rower and often plays in the middle, might move to prop over an off-season. Wouldn't be the first time.

If we have paid fair coin I don't mind this signing. Although obviously he hasn't been fantastic the last 18 months or so, go back a few years ago and he was one of the better forwards in the comp.

Hopefully he is the first cog, not the centrepiece!

MKCS

Juniors
Surprised that the call is for Guerra to go to the bench. If he finds form he's better than every backrower in the Knights. A back row of Stone, Buhrer and Guerra is pretty decent whist Sione heading to centre could be very beneficial.

If you guys can grab another Origin forward or ex Origin forward, a good half (Hard to come by this season) and a strong centre for next year you'd look a much better team especially if Rory Kostjaysn returns and players hooker.

I hope Guerra comes good for you guys.

perverse

Referee
Surprised that the call is for Guerra to go to the bench. If he finds form he's better than every backrower in the Knights. A back row of Stone, Buhrer and Guerra is pretty decent whist Sione heading to centre could be very beneficial.

If you guys can grab another Origin forward or ex Origin forward, a good half (Hard to come by this season) and a strong centre for next year you'd look a much better team especially if Rory Kostjaysn returns and players hooker.

I hope Guerra comes good for you guys.
Kostjaysn is doneski. Good halves are tough to come by in *any* season. Sione is a pretty average centre. Stone is miles behind Barnett.

And lastly - is there any reason at all in the world to think Guerra is going to get better from here and not continue on a steady decline? All of Browns huffing and puffing about holding out for the right players - leaders and guys with plenty of tomorrows - which of these criteria does Guerra fit? Personally he looks to fit the "aging has-been ex-rep player looking for his last paycheque" mould perfectly to me - I mean he approached us ffs. Who the f**k approaches us except people chasing the cash?

Johns Magic

Referee
I reckon the criticism of Guerra has been pretty harsh. His role in that Roosters squad has been lessened but for his time on the pitch he has much more impact than our guys do.

Just as a sample, we played the Roosters in Round 7 in what was a pretty tight contest until the last 15 minutes or so. 52% to 48% possession split in favour of Roosters so fairly even. Guerra vs Barnett at lock.

Guerra: 55 minutes, 13 runs, 123 metres, 27 tackles, 0 missed

Barnett: 59 minutes, 8 runs, 55 metres, 36 tackles, 4 missed

I know stats don't tell the full story at all but Guerra pretty consistently turns in these sort of numbers with reduced playing minutes. If you extrapolate that out you're looking at 180 minutes a game from the lock position which is as good as any club and hopefully Barnett can maintain.

He might not be what he was a few years ago but let's not forget he was seriously f**king good for a while. I think he still has what it takes to do a job and have some impact and he is a class above what we currently have.

I am willing to be wrong on this. I am hoping we get a guy with talent who has a point to prove and enjoys having a greater role again. He won't be able to do it on his own but if we do land a couple of quality props as planned I think he'll be a good addition.

slotmachine

First Grade
Sione isn't going back to centre. He's only 21 and is turning out to be a much better back rower than centre.

Hasn't set the world on fire at either spot. The best he's ever looked was as a winger tbh. Sam Stone has the prototypical size for an edge forward in the modern game, hopefully he comes on.

Look, it's ordinary that we were sold multiple marquees and it's probably not going to happen, but cap space doesn't win games. We can sign six or seven Guerra level players and win some games next year. Six or seven Guerra's means we don't have to watch Fitzgibbon, Yates, Starling, Stockwell, King and Tupou in first grade.

Mole saying Herman Ese'ese was in town last weekend for the Brownie sales pitch.

Johns Magic

Referee
Hasn't set the world on fire at either spot. The best he's ever looked was as a winger tbh. Sam Stone has the prototypical size for an edge forward in the modern game, hopefully he comes on.

Look, it's ordinary that we were sold multiple marquees and it's probably not going to happen, but cap space doesn't win games. We can sign six or seven Guerra level players and win some games next year. Six or seven Guerra's means we don't have to watch Fitzgibbon, Yates, Starling, Stockwell, King and Tupou in first grade.

Mole saying Herman Ese'ese was in town last weekend for the Brownie sales pitch.

A) Spot On will be stoked

B) Is Ese'ese off-contract?

C) I don't think Guerra will be our biggest signing

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I like Guerra and we need alot more players like him who are good first graders. I think he will add plenty to our team and I really like his versatility. He also comes from a winning club and has international and origin experience.

Ese'ese would be a fanatstic signing, a big young front rower

Spot On

Coach
A) Spot On will be stoked

B) Is Ese'ese off-contract?

C) I don't think Guerra will be our biggest signing

Definitely stoked we've had a good look. Pangai Jr would be handy as well. At the very least we are helping keep the Broncs honest in a small way. Hope we make a really decent offer so he inderstands it's not his life long obligation to play for nothing in Brisbane.

Johns Magic

Referee
Definitely stoked we've had a good look. Pangai Jr would be handy as well. At the very least we are helping keep the Broncs honest in a small way. Hope we make a really decent offer so he inderstands it's not his life long obligation to play for nothing in Brisbane.

Can't say I've watched him that much this year. His numbers are ok but not amazing. Care to shed some light on what sort of a player he is?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Kostjaysn is doneski. Good halves are tough to come by in *any* season. Sione is a pretty average centre. Stone is miles behind Barnett.

And lastly - is there any reason at all in the world to think Guerra is going to get better from here and not continue on a steady decline? All of Browns huffing and puffing about holding out for the right players - leaders and guys with plenty of tomorrows - which of these criteria does Guerra fit? Personally he looks to fit the "aging has-been ex-rep player looking for his last paycheque" mould perfectly to me - I mean he approached us ffs. Who the f**k approaches us except people chasing the cash?
I think its true Brown is looking for tomorrows but i think he also recognises that this team is very very short on experience in the forwards.

I havent read anywhere that mentioned he approached us? Was that in the Brown inter view?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It's debatable whether Guerra is an Origin standard player these days but at worst he's a solid first grader with 140 games experience so I can't see how it's a bad move.

Does he make our squad stronger? YES
Do we need a player with his experience? YES
Are we going to be paying him overs? NO

So based on the above questions I feel it's a sensible signing.

Latest posts