What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
....and he wanted an upgrade. How much did the Drags hand our for him and who are they going to chop to fit him in??? Is Joel Thompson going?

Frederick

Staff member
The mole reports its a done deal with dragons and he could be on his way as early as Tuesday. If that's the case then I really wouldn't mind Brown dropping him for tomorrow nights game. It's not like him being there is going to make any difference anyway

League_God

Juniors
So from 2015 to 2016 we'd have lost:
Tariq Sims
Kade Snowden
James McManus
Chris Houston
Jeremy Smith
Adam Clydesdale
Joseph Tapine
David Faalogo
Kurt Gidley
Beau Scott
Tyrone Roberts
Clint Newton
Joseph Leilua
Paterika Vaivai
Chad Redman
Carlos Tuimavave
Todd Lowrie
Kerrod Holland

and in that time we've gained:

David Bhana
Will Pearsall
Micky Paea
Pauli Pauli
Peter Mata'utia
Trent Hodkinson
Krys Freeman

and resigned

Daniel Saifiti
Jacob Saifiti

ouch.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Things are actually starting to look like you can go hard at signing some players tbh. This must be helping the salary cap situation.

Swarzey

Bench
I kind of hope we don't go hard. Last time we did, we ended up with this mess.

Brown is showing more balls than anyone at the club since Smith; he deserves as long as it takes to sort out where it's best to spend the money. Tariq gone, Snowden gone, Smith gone, probably Rochow and Stockwell gone and minus a little for poorly written, backended contracts means Brown has a bit of room to work with and build the squad he wants.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Brown has a good eye for talent. He was the guy who told Stuart to sign Hodgson.

What you guys need to do is just sign players under contract for 2017 (in November) and pressure the other club to break contract. It's how we signed Paulo, Austin and tapine. Clubs tend to fold unless it's a superstar.

Just don't sign any pension seekers.

Swarzey

Bench
I don't think we're in the position to pressure any club into breaking the contract of an NRL standard player.

I also don't think anyone who is an NRL standard player would want to join the club. Maybe there's hope having talented young players with huge futures could attract the right talent but as depressing as it is, I doubt many will be at the club long term.

Fringe first graders and pension seekers are all we have to choose from. Unless some talented Englishmen haven't paid attention to the NRL for the last few years and still want to test themselves.

Huge statement of intent from Browny. I wonder if we can get Russell Packer in return? Smart business from Brown when you look at next season's off contract list going into 2018. Some may jump ship early for next season though. It is write off 2016 so we can't get ahead of ourselves. Add a potential new owner and we may just have turned a corner.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The only major moves i can see Browny pulling off are signings from England...

He might have his eye on a few talents that have gone unnoticed by other Aussie clubs (probably wont win a bidding war for the likes of Richie Myler) and it'll be easier enticing them to Newcastle would be easier than bringing a kid up from Sydney

Other than that, the next few years should be about building a culture of hard work and love of the jumper. (its why Tyler Randell is my current fav. He isnt particularly talented, but he seems to have the drive that we can build a club around)

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
There's no interest for Myler outside the ESL. If he's still got the desire to test himself in the NRL then we'd have few issues signing him unless -- and quite probably --some other club entering the race.

Ben Currie from Warrington is a superstar backrower in the making. He will play NRL. No doubt. There is massive interest in him. We should pay the transfer fee despite him being under contract. 21, very skilled and fast. A really football smart and tough kid. Be interested to see if we still are interested in Roby. Other players to consider strongly are Anthony Gelling, George Williams and Dom Manfredi (Wigan), Myler (Le Catalans), Chris Hill (Warrington), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Brett ferres (Leeds), Zak Hardaker (Leeds), Johnny Lomax (St helens) and a kid I have always rated, Tom Briscoe.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Other than that, the next few years should be about building a culture of hard work and love of the jumper. (its why Tyler Randell is my current fav. He isnt particularly talented, but he seems to have the drive that we can build a club around)

In other words, we are now Cuba. You won't have any money, but the beaches are cool and we are all on the same shitty wicket.

People get on spare tires and float across shark infested waters to flee that shit.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
After telling the players only on Sunday that Tariq was leaving I would have voted to have dropped him from the game. He hasn't done anything for the team but be suspended and drop balls over the line. Move on by by.

I hope the Knights aim for Will Mathews. Always liked him.

Whats Doing

Bench
Tariq is one of those mentally weak players who has hands like feet and is on an extraordinary pay packet for what he brings to the table and cannot see how he can improve. I have no trouble letting him go.

However I do rate Korbin but as night follows day, it is likely he will move on as well when his contract finishes, if not earlier.

Johns Magic

Referee
Tariq is one of those mentally weak players who has hands like feet and is on an extraordinary pay packet for what he brings to the table and cannot see how he can improve. I have no trouble letting him go.

However I do rate Korbin but as night follows day, it is likely he will move on as well when his contract finishes, if not earlier.

Agree on Tariq. He has done a good job of looking the part and getting paid for it, but he is no competitor. Have we ever actually looked any stronger for having him in the team?

He can leave and I honestly will have no fond memories of him. Not saying that in a nasty way. But I genuinely can't remember a special moment he has had with the club since he arrived. Just him looking tough but not playing it, and making no difference to a result. Being suspended constantly.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Canberra is about the least desirable place in Australia. Canberra the football club has a few advantages over Newcastle. We could afford to pay transfer fees for British players for example but besides that both small cities nicer weather in Newcastle.

I've been where you guys are. Probably worse (with signings) because we had all those high profile players backflip. It was the signing of waqa that stopped the bleeding. Sure we probably paid overs but it convinced other players we weren't a sinking ship.