What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

macavity

Referee
We need to start paying for what they will do, not what they have done.

We want hungry young guys who can't crack the starting sides at big clubs.

And Poms.

I don't buy this "senior leadership" BS. We have Hokko to be our old man. Invest in value.

And Poms.

I don't buy this "senior leadership" BS. We have Hokko to be our old man. Invest in value.

I have maintained that from day one but when you are lacking in that in your face leadership that provides both stability but more importantly, quality the aformentioned two are both realisitc propositions. Yes they are both 31 or 32. Ennis and Soward have improved every club they have gone to. Soward is probably a top 3 clutch player alongside JT and Cronk when a game is on the line. When you need a point or a pressure kick to win a game he is very handy. Ennis just irritates and inspires. We are not going to sign a Pearce or any Sydneycentric/Queenslander high end player without sacrificing half of our roster. The targets need to be both affordable and available. So they are either , as you say, young kids wanting a chance or on the other hand veterans in need of a club. I think Lewis would give us a few years of quality before retiring.

The concerns regarding the Sims brothers of late are well founded. I feel Tariq will sign long term which i can now say I am not 100% on. All suggestions from local media are Browny sees him as our captain. We are in a bit of a holding pattern and i think Hokko just needs time. I feel next year he will be a lot better. He shows fleeting glimpses of a man ready to take control but seems to go back into a supporting role. It would be nice to see him mix his game up and play what he sees. Maybe Des has coached his improv out of him.

Last edited:
Tariq needs to get the flops and niggle out of his game and focus on his play. He's no leader now and is long off it. He has said he looks to Smith for leadership.
Hodko has been next to useless. He was asked tonight when we would get to the level of the Broncos and Cows and he said along the line of "I hope soon". He's kidding himself.

slotmachine

First Grade

And Poms.

This x 1000. We aren't in a position to buy true quality, so you have to be smart about how you spent the (much smaller than everyone else's) cap.

I just LOL when I see people saying we should buy coote/tamou/klemmer.

Hodko is delusional is he actually said that.

K-Man

Bench
On the topic of what we need at the club at the moment I think we really need to get our hands on a creative forward or two, someone who can ball play a bit and throw an offload. We must be the worst team in the comp for second phase play, which in part I put down to the coaching because I have a feeling Brown is trying to keep things simple, but it's so frustrating seeing us do the same predictable crap in attack every week where the opposition just needs to tackle the legs of the guy with the ball and the play dies right there.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that letting Cuthbo go was a bad move, he was our most creative player by a long shot, his offloads made us harder to defend against every week and he injected some energy coming off the bench.

Totally agree on Cuthbo. He had his critics in here early on but certainly towards the end he was clearly our most effective creative forward. I throw him into the same basket as players I've talked about before like Joey Leulia, who I personally was disappointed to see leave. I understand there were some extenuating circumstances there, and yes he could be dumb, but now look at our options at centre. I'd have Leilua back in a heartbeat because he actually offered something in attack, he could break the line, he could pop an offload in heavy traffic etc.

I feel like too often these players who can create something from nothing are not given the credit they deserve. You don't score points in the NRL if there isn't some creativity, explosiveness, skill or point of difference somewhere. You can have a million promising forwards like the Saifitis,steady playmakers like Mullo and Hodko (steady is being generous), and backs like Pat M who appear okay early on because they try and they can tackle... but in the end you get found out for a lack of x-factor.

If I could assemble a team that I think is somewhat realistic for us, I would place a premium on finding the right balance of solid with some spark that we are so desperately lacking right now.

My semi-realistic team that would make me happier:

1. Coote
2. Pete Mata'utia
3. Leilua
4. S Mata'utia
5. Ross
6. Pearsall / Lamb / Feeney (whoever comes along the fastest)
7. Ash Taylor (younger, better and cheaper than Hodko, and wasn't an auto selection at Titans)
8. Mataora
9. Levi
10. K Sims
11. Tapine
12. Taia
13. Lewis

14. Randell
15. J Saifiti
16. Stockwell
17. Cuthbertson

18. D Saifiti

I've let go of Gagai, Uate, Mullen, Hodkinson, Smith, T Sims, Snowden, Rochow and Peaa. That is a lot of cap space, including all of our highest paid players.

I've brought in (or never let go of) Coote, Leilua, Taylor, Tapine, Taia, Lewis, Cuthbertson.

There's no way the second group costs more than the first group. And we'd still miss the finals, but I would feel a lot more confident about actually doing something with the footy that asks questions of the opposition with that team over our current pile of plod.

K-Man

Bench
Coote re-signed with the Cowboys yesterday.

edit. oh sorry hypothetical

Yeah replace Coote with any fullback that is an upgrade on what we have, which is deplorable. There are guys out there playing on the wing or in reserves that are better fullbacks than our choices.

Holmes on the wing at the Sharks, Trbojevic on the wing at Manly ... they'd both be walk-up starts to fullback at our club and would probably become our best players pretty quickly.

And they are just two examples of many. I hate that we find ourselves in this position of trying to convert Gagai having failed on experiments with Mamo and Feeney. Fullback is such a key position, if we could get one thing right and right now I'd choose that and build from there. Our lack of a genuine NRL fullback hurts us so badly every match in my opinion.

whistler

Juniors
One guy i'd love to see us target is Tyrone Peachey. I read somewhere that he and Segeyaro are on the outer with Griffin and neither will be at Penrith next season.
Peachey may lack a little size but he offers a point of difference as he has the skill, creativity and pace that our forwards desperately lack. He's still young, wouldn't break the bank and we could offer him the fuul time lock position with jez likely to retire.

Still Nutty

Juniors
.... We are in a bit of a holding pattern and i think Hokko just needs time. I feel next year he will be a lot better. He shows fleeting glimpses of a man ready to take control but seems to go back into a supporting role. It would be nice to see him mix his game up and play what he sees.

With the long term injury to Mullen, I am hoping that is the catalyst for him to step up and take this mantle...that controlling role was a lot of what I expected with his signing but with Mullen as the 'senior' half in the squad, I think it has seen him trying to dovetail his role around Mullen.

With Mullen out of the pic he needs to step up and this weekend against Peirce is the perfect opportunity for him to do that

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
One guy i'd love to see us target is Tyrone Peachey. I read somewhere that he and Segeyaro are on the outer with Griffin and neither will be at Penrith next season.
Peachey may lack a little size but he offers a point of difference as he has the skill, creativity and pace that our forwards desperately lack. He's still young, wouldn't break the bank and we could offer him the fuul time lock position with jez likely to retire.

This would be the perfect signing for us imo, I can't believe he can't crack a first grade spot every week (even off the bench) over at Penrith. He has so many attributes that our current forwards lack.

Joel-22

Juniors
1.Nathan Ross
2.Dane Gagai
3.Sione Mata'utia
4.Pete Mata'utia
5.Aku Uate
6.Benji Marshall
7.Trent Hodkinson (c)
8.Sam Mataora
9.Danny Levi
10.Daniel Saifiti
11.Tariq Sims
12.Korbin Sims
13.Tyrone Peachey

14.Pauli Pauli
15.Jack Stockwell
16.Jacob Saifiti
17.Robbie Rochow

That side could definitely score points

1qaz

Juniors
Totally agree on Cuthbo. He had his critics in here early on but certainly towards the end he was clearly our most effective creative forward. I throw him into the same basket as players I've talked about before like Joey Leulia, who I personally was disappointed to see leave. I understand there were some extenuating circumstances there, and yes he could be dumb, but now look at our options at centre. I'd have Leilua back in a heartbeat because he actually offered something in attack, he could break the line, he could pop an offload in heavy traffic etc.

I feel like too often these players who can create something from nothing are not given the credit they deserve. You don't score points in the NRL if there isn't some creativity, explosiveness, skill or point of difference somewhere. You can have a million promising forwards like the Saifitis,steady playmakers like Mullo and Hodko (steady is being generous), and backs like Pat M who appear okay early on because they try and they can tackle... but in the end you get found out for a lack of x-factor.

If I could assemble a team that I think is somewhat realistic for us, I would place a premium on finding the right balance of solid with some spark that we are so desperately lacking right now.

My semi-realistic team that would make me happier:

1. Coote
2. Pete Mata'utia
3. Leilua
4. S Mata'utia
5. Ross
6. Pearsall / Lamb / Feeney (whoever comes along the fastest)
7. Ash Taylor (younger, better and cheaper than Hodko, and wasn't an auto selection at Titans)
8. Mataora
9. Levi
10. K Sims
11. Tapine
12. Taia
13. Lewis

14. Randell
15. J Saifiti
16. Stockwell
17. Cuthbertson

18. D Saifiti

I've let go of Gagai, Uate, Mullen, Hodkinson, Smith, T Sims, Snowden, Rochow and Peaa. That is a lot of cap space, including all of our highest paid players.

I've brought in (or never let go of) Coote, Leilua, Taylor, Tapine, Taia, Lewis, Cuthbertson.

There's no way the second group costs more than the first group. And we'd still miss the finals, but I would feel a lot more confident about actually doing something with the footy that asks questions of the opposition with that team over our current pile of plod.

You're easily pleased if you're happy with that team. They would be challenging for the spoon with the current mob.
You talk about xfactor. The only real xfactor in your side is BJ and at a stretch Tapine.
You're not even sure who should play 6. Persall will be turned into utility hooker.
Feeney will never make it as a first grade half. You never saw any of his games in the lower grades at half?
Overlap killer, dummy and go himself was he only play.
Lamb by far is the best choice. I rate him higher than any of the current juniors coming through at Newcastle.
You then have Pete on the wing. By far his worst position. You didn't see any of his games on the wing at Dragons?
Taylor is an automatically selection at the Titans long with Elgey. Roberts will make way for both.
Then you want a 31 year old in Taia back? Real xfactor there.
Someone like Tyrone Peachy would be a much better buy.
Randell on the bench? Does he bring Xfactor or Australian Idol to the team? Lol

Joel-22

Juniors
I would be genuinely shocked if any NRL club would want Benji Marshall.

I'm not trying to even argue with you, I've seen enough of your posts to say I respect your opinion. Why the Benji hate though? I haven't seen him at all this season but last season
22 games, 23 try assists, 3 tries, 3 field goals and 6 line breaks. Overall, those are impressive stats. He's only played 3 games this season scoring 1 try, 0 try assists, 2 line breaks. Hard to judge someone off three games, surely

Spot On

Coach
I'd like halves that put on more tries than they let in. Benji doesn't fit that criteria. He's extremely inconsistent, has lost his pace, makes too many errors and doesn't want to tackle. Lost count of the amount of times he passed the ball over the sideline last season. One game he actually kicked the ball into an opposition player not once, not twice but three times in 1 game!! All in his teams own half, all when they were under the pump and each time he gave the ball to the opposition. I'd never seen that before - ever - let alone from a player of his experience and apparent skill. He's not a team player at times either. Any X factor he had is well and truly gone. A couple good performances and heap of poor ones is not good enough.

As I said, I would be genuinely surprised if any NRL club were to chase him. Only the desperate would have second thoughts about it or absolutely no halves at their club.