What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

phantom eel

First Grade
But Alvaro has long-term starting team potential. The others are probably in decline, unless Terepo gets to a better level.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But what's Arthur's opinion about how Mannah is to be used in the future?

That's what's being discussed - and you're failing to add any analysis to that discussion.
I don't think Tim Mannah 2017 will be much different to Tim Mannah 2016. He will probably have less injuries next year, which might help his form.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I don't think Tim Mannah 2017 will be much different to Tim Mannah 2016. He will probably have less injuries next year, which might help his form.

I agree Tim Mannah 2017 will be similar to Tim Mannah 2016...which is an average prop. I think Alvaro 2017 will be better than Alvaro 2016, which will make him Mannah's equal in pretty much every respect. Now that Mannah is no longer the only player eligible for the LSPA, his full salary is essentially counted towards the cap. This would be MUCH higher than the amount Alvaro will be costing us.

I like Mannah, he's a good club man. But I hope we're in the business of winning premierships....not
keeping long term players happy.

phantom eel

First Grade
Well we know that thread is often somewhwat behind the times...
Mannah's in decline.

To be honest - and I don't blame the guy at all - but he's been in decline in terms of on-field performance since his last rep appearance in early 2013. Footy just wouldn't be the same for me either if I'd been through what Tim has been through.

(And before you attempt to challenge that, remember that you often claim we have to respect the opinion of (rep) coaches before any of us on the forums....)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well we know that thread is often somewhwat behind the times...

Mannah's in decline.

To be honest - and I don't blame the guy at all - but he's been in decline in terms of on-field performance since his last rep appearance in early 2013. Footy just wouldn't be the same for me either if I'd been through what Tim has been through.

(And before you attempt to challenge that, remember that you often claim we have to respect the opinion of (rep) coaches before any of us on the forums....)

I think that is a good point - I find it incredible Tim is still playing footy after everything he and his family have gone through.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
his full salary is essentially counted towards the cap.

All of his salary may be counted towards the cap this year as we may have given that allowance to another player. And given how average he is you don't think he'd be on much
I reckon he's on something between 250-300k.

Happy MEel

First Grade
All of his salary may be counted towards the cap this year as we may have given that allowance to another player. And given how average he is you don't think he'd be on much
I reckon he's on something between 250-300k.
Mannah extended in 2014 until the end of 2017. Do you not think that the allowance was largely taken up by Hayne at the time, so when negotiations were taking place he'd be on more than 250k-300k during his final year on our cap? He would of effectively been on unders (value wise) once Hayne left as he was the only player eligible for the discount. However, that's no longer the case and we have better value players we can use it on with a comparable cheapie in Alvaro.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Mannah's value to side is underestimated. Yeah he was poor last night, yeah he isn't the greatest, yeah there are better.

But his value lies in the ability to pretty much make 100 or so metres, 30 or so tackles and very few errors in about 45 minutes each week. And on a average wage ( probably around $350k ). There is very little difference between his best and worse which is what coaches like, they know what they will get.

The first 20 is normally the fast / hardest part of the game, which is what Mannah plays in. And while there are other props ( like Paulo and vava) who attack a lot better, Mannah's value is his defence / error rate, how often do we see Mannah miss a tackle ? Drop a ball? Give away a penalty ? very rarely and this is extremely important in the first 20 when the game is still an "arm wrestle".

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think Mannah's value to side is underestimated. Yeah he was poor last night, yeah he isn't the greatest, yeah there are better.

But his value lies in the ability to pretty much make 100 or so metres, 30 or so tackles and very few errors in about 45 minutes each week. And on a average wage ( probably around $350k ). There is very little difference between his best and worse which is what coaches like, they know what they will get.

The first 20 is normally the fast / hardest part of the game, which is what Mannah plays in. And while there are other props ( like Paulo and vava) who attack a lot better, Mannah's value is his defence / error rate, how often do we see Mannah miss a tackle ? Drop a ball? Give away a penalty ? very rarely and this is extremely important in the first 20 when the game is still an "arm wrestle".

My issue is not the output Mannah provides, it's that we can replace him in the squad with a like-for-like replacement in Alvaro at a much lower cost. He's signed next year regardless so I'd only be offering a 150-200k extension for 2018 onwards.

Pazza

First Grade
What about Akuila Uate for one season???? Newcastle should pay some freight and see what BA can do with him???

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What about Akuila Uate for one season???? Newcastle should pay some freight and see what BA can do with him???

I suggested this before, I reckon he could be a great option. But probably depends how he is going mentally (does he want to play footy?) and what we could get him for.

He is stuck in NSW cup and I assume his on around $500k, so what would we consider good value ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I reckon of the 40 odd players that BA has on his spread sheet, atleast half of them are still contracted and are being whored out by their managers or clubs...
Just a feeling