What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024

Nutz

Bench

Development:

sg---kit-laulilii.jpg

Kit Laulilii, Solomone Saukuru, Chris Faagutu, Alexander Lobb and Tony Sukkar.

Train & Trial:

William Craig, Sione Latoa-Vaihu, Luke Laulilii, Keenan Lawandos, Heath Mason, Iverson Matai, Cayne Nicholas and Navren Willet.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kit smash into the opposition in the second half of the season. By that time he would be in better shape than when he debuted. A full off season training with the NRL lads will be awesome too.

Tigerm

First Grade

Development:

View attachment 81615

Kit Laulilii, Solomone Saukuru, Chris Faagutu, Alexander Lobb and Tony Sukkar.

Train & Trial:

William Craig, Sione Latoa-Vaihu, Luke Laulilii, Keenan Lawandos, Heath Mason, Iverson Matai, Cayne Nicholas and Navren Willet.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kit smash into the opposition in the second half of the season. By that time he would be in better shape than when he debuted. A full off season training with the NRL lads will be awesome too.
Is that Kit with the pig tale? Looks like a big boy, will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.

Nutz

Bench
Is that Kit with the pig tale? Looks like a big boy, will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.
Yes mate, the photo I posted above. He's developing nicely. Another year or so he'll be a gun.

Nutz

Bench
No that was our fault. Should never have offered him that much cash but I would have walked earlier If I was him too. Money isn't everything.
It is a professional sport. You get as much as you can before the many reasons why players have to rejoin the workforce like injuries, headknocks or past use by date.
He's a millionaire and still got a healthy stint at Manly.
A lot of people say he's dumb. I wonder how healthy their bank accounts are.
It's purely the club's fault. To say brooks gave it his all for the club is an understatement, he's just not a controlling ½ back and the club could not deal with that.
The club wanted a one club star ½ and persevered hoping he would come good...wrong.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yep

Most are at least 2 years off regular NRL, its ridiculous that we've given like 8 of them full time contracts for next year.
Starling played for Australia when he was 18.
Ideally in the modern game you want to try to get a pathways player who is a gun and have him eased into the NRL around 20-21 years of age. This way you get a potential star and sign him up long term and on low dollars, just like Bula.
20 year old lads are solid these days and it's a competition that is structured for players to be experienced and at their prime before they hit 25.
The sucess of our club rides on discovering potential stars, developing them, then signing them up.
Kit Laulilii is a classic example. He turns 19 next year and was given a taste of NRL against Manly this year..played great for the short minutes.
He now comes in on a development contract which means he trains full time with the big boys in the preseason and throughout the year. He then could play again after round 11 but more likely develop in lower grades and play in the latter rounds.
Meaning he has his second preseason with the nrl and plays in 2025 in the NRL top 30 squad at the age of 20. Perfect...if he's good enough which I believe he is.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
SmartSelect_20231108-181543_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Alex Lobb
I've been reading about this tall solid 21 year old from St George.
10 tries from 22 games and a handy goal kicker. 2023 NSW Cup Player of the Year.
He looks imposing considering Feledy whose running near him is not small.
Hope he goes to the next level as tall wingers are a bonus these days.

Tigerm

First Grade
View attachment 81640
Alex Lobb
I've been reading about this tall solid 21 year old from St George.
10 tries from 22 games and a handy goal kicker. 2023 NSW Cup Player of the Year.
He looks imposing considering Feledy whose running near him is not small.
Hope he goes to the next level as tall wingers are a bonus these days.
He needs a bit more beef on those legs hahaha You're right though, he looks a solid lad.

Tigerm

First Grade
Yep

Most are at least 2 years off regular NRL, its ridiculous that we've given like 8 of them full time contracts for next year.
Agree Vic, but to be fair, we are a double spoon club, probably not a lot of players knocking on our door, hopefully they will get value out of some of them?
I mean, most of us hadn't really heard of Bula until last preseason and we are a development club, I think there are plenty of good young blokes running around in the NRL already though, you would hope most of our blokes would not be required to play NRL next season, unless they are exceptional or we tank again and we want to give them a taste?

Bringing in plodders hasn't done us much good in the past?

Just out of interest, what's your thoughts on the fair dinkum squad size for a footy club? I know it's 30, and injuries are a factor, but what would we expect to use throughout the season? I was thinking somewhere around a solid 20 plus 4 or 5 next level down to cover injuries / suspensions if required?

Nutz

Bench

Expected round one schedule
Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles (March 2 in Las Vegas)
Broncos v Roosters (March 2 in Las Vegas)
Knights v Raiders (Thursday, March 7)
Warriors v Sharks (Friday, March 8)
Storm v Panthers (Friday, March 8)
Eels v Bulldogs (Saturday, March 9)
Titans v Dragons (Saturday, March 9)
Dolphins v Cowboys (Sunday, March 10)
Bye: Wests Tigers

Pre-season schedule

February 11: Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles on Central Coast
February 16: Indigenous All Stars v Maori All Stars

Pre-season week one (February 15-18)

Dogs v Storm at Belmore
Sharks v Knights at Central Coast Stadium
Manly v Roosters at Central Coast Stadium
Warriors v Tigers at TBC
Broncos v Cowboys at Mackay
Dragons v Rabbitohs at Kogarah
Eels v Raiders at Kogarah
Dolphins v Titans at Sunshine Coast

Pre-season week two (February February 22-25)

Sharks v Bulldogs at Cronulla
Roosters v Rabbitohs at Cronulla
Dragons v Tigers in Mudgee
Manly v Broncos in Manly
Titans v Eels in Ipswich
Storm v Knights in Fiji
Raiders v Cowboys in Queanbeyan

I kinda like having a bye first up.
More prep time plus we can pick up on the style of play winning teams have adopted in the heat.

Tigerm

First Grade

Pre-season schedule

February 11: Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles on Central Coast
February 16: Indigenous All Stars v Maori All Stars

Pre-season week one (February 15-18)

Dogs v Storm at Belmore
Warriors v Tigers at TBC
Broncos v Cowboys at Mackay
Dragons v Rabbitohs at Kogarah
Eels v Raiders at Kogarah
Dolphins v Titans at Sunshine Coast

Pre-season week two (February February 22-25)

Sharks v Bulldogs at Cronulla
Roosters v Rabbitohs at Cronulla
Dragons v Tigers in Mudgee
Manly v Broncos in Manly
Titans v Eels in Ipswich
Storm v Knights in Fiji
Raiders v Cowboys in Queanbeyan

I kinda like having a bye first up.
More prep time plus we can pick up on the style of play winning teams have adopted in the heat.
Well, at least we’ll have a win at the end of round one?

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench

Pre-season schedule

Pre-season week one
(February 15-18)

Dogs v Storm at Belmore
Warriors v Tigers at TBC
Wests Tigers website now stating that the trial against the Warriors will kick off at 2pm local time on Sunday 18th February at Apollo Projects Stadium, Christchurch.

Latest posts