What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Row of the decade

Who makes the Second Row of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LRC

Im surpirsed at the votes hindmarsh gets. Really, I love the guy, he has a huge motor and does make my team, but you ndon't lose much by repalcing him with a Fitzgibbons or Ryan etc...they are all work rate players who will keep on going but they are not out and out game breakers.

Gordon tallis could ignite a pack, Bryan Fletcher had the hands and skill of a 5/8, Kenedy similar to Fletcher..

These guys were virtually ireplaceable with what they brought to their teams...

I know Hindmarsh is important to the eels, but there are a lot of that type of player around... I dont think he is in the same league as the others...

Although they probably played a good bit of their best footy in the late 90s.

The Dominator

Juniors
Tallis and Menzies.

Hindmarsh is a great player, but there is no way he is in the class of Tallis and Menzies from an attacking perspective.

Johns Magic

Referee
Left right out.

Not a ridiculous decision but the guy did play 180 NRL matches this decade as well as 22 rep games. Got through a mountain of quality work on the field. If the Dogs had had a sh*t season this year and the Knights had finished top 4 I reckon Simpson would've got the gig over Ryan.

Definitely a victim of the club's recent lack of success here.

Johns Magic

Referee
Or of his own inability to make a serious impact since 2005.

A fine player.

Very wrong I'm sorry.

He had great 2006 and 2007 seasons, by far our best forward in both seasons, one where we finished 4th, playing a combined 41 matches.

Has slowed down with injury in the last couple of years for sure but he has been a massive workhorse with quality physicality, which can't be said for a lot of the reknowned workhorses, for the best part of the decade.

Johns Magic

Referee
Also I just want to say that I'm not having a go at you for not including him, it would be a bloody hard job to appease all clubs' supporters in these polls and it's a job I'm glad I'm not doing.

But to suggest Simpson isn't worthy of being on this list is not true, and he certainly wouldn't be out of place.

Johns Magic

Referee
You may have me in 2006, but what has he done since then?

I said a serious impact.

May have you? He made the second most tackles of any second-rower in 2006 and was tenth for total metres on top of that. Clearly one of your criteria is workload given you've included Fitzgibbon so he had a stellar season in 2006.

What serious impact has Lautiti had since 2002?

What serious impact does any workhorse backrower have? Are you telling me Andrew Ryan has had any serious impact in the last few years besides happening to be in a top 4 team in 2009? Simpson has done far more work than someone like Steve Menzies this decade, and was regularly picked in front of him in rep teams. Then the Sea Eagles win a premiership and Menzies is suddenly no longer just a benchie who did very little work and stood in the centres whenever Manly were on the attack.

I don't care that Simpson wasn't in this list, it's not like he demands selection. But the people saying he isn't in the same league as those named are just plain wrong.

Big Pete

Referee
Ali Lauiti'iti was the best second rower in the world at one stage, something Simpson never was.

Menzies had his try scoring feats to be considered and was recognised as the RLA second rower of the year.

Ryan's been a consistent force since 2001 without stop, was one of the best second rowers in 2004 and was constantly picked before Simpson.

Admittadly I did sound a little harsh and you are right, Simpson easily could've made this poll given some other allowances but his form over the past three years left me with a case of out of site out of mind.