What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson vs Benji Marshall

Notell

Juniors
They would undoubtedly be the greatest touch footballers of all time. Seriously. If only they competed in recognised touch football competitions instead of playing like they are in one when they are (mostly) not.

tangalife

Juniors
Johnson is great when the Warriors want to kick a teams arse, but goes missing every other game.

He isn't any good at leading a team around, he plays best when he's given a free role, which is why he was so good in his debut year when he had no pressure and just had to go out there and impress.

Tomkins is relieving the pressure from him as a playmaker, so we should see Johnson thrive this season.

shiznit

Coach
lol what are you like 12 or a warriors fan. If you are a warriors fan check your bias at the door you fool.

Benji at his prime carried an average tigers team to a premiership.

He also won a world cup and some games against Australia with a worse forward pack, the best nz had were blokes like asotasi.

SJ is so overrated it isn't funny, his best play is picking up a dropped ball and going the length, in terms of setting up himself or those around him hes got nothing unless the defence falls asleep.

I am pretty sure he had a hand in only one of nzs tries.

Benji was a very very good player who had some injuries after his premiership and some good years once he got back, a garbage year or two is all he has had, SJ has had more garbage years in his tiny little puissant career thus far.

I'm not a Warriors fan you genius...

I'm not going to get into a stupid argument about this as it's impossible to compare them until Johnson hits his peak.

All I'm saying is Johnson has the natural gifts to be better than Benji... It doesn't mean he will...

It's a cliche... But his talent and natural ability alone won't make him reach his potential...

Charlie124

First Grade
With the greatest respect to Benji... He's had a great career.

If Shaun Johnson ends his career achieving the same as Benji has... I see that as an underachievement for him.

Johnson is the most gifted half I have ever seen.... He's basically Benji without the flaws... He does EVERYTHING Benji can do, only better. Plus he's faster, bigger and stronger.

The mental aspect is what he lacks... And let's be honest here... That's not a small thing for a half... If I were to grade it out of 100, I'd say the mental aspect makes up 50% of the grade,

I follow Joey Johns' thoughts on him... If he can sort the mental side out ... His physical gifts will carry him further than any kiwi rugby league player has ever gone.

It's all up to him though...

Now thats just being silly

shiznit

Coach
Now thats just being silly
He is mate... And I'm not ashamed of saying that... And I've been watching him since he first started at U20s.

I actually think he's regressed in some areas of his game from when I first saw him.

But when you look at him from a pure talent standpoint...

He has blinding speed, amazing footwork, brilliant vision, a top class passing game.

He used to have a great kicking game... But he has regressed badly in that area IMO... Especially his short kicking game.

His biggest flaw is massive... The fact he just goes missing when the Warriors need him the most.

He's had 2 big moments where he's stepped up in the clutch... The Prelim Final against Melbourne in 2011... And at the death against England in the World Cup Semi at Wembley last year.

But apart from that he just disappears...

But on physical gifts... I don't know a young player who has better...

Charlie124

First Grade
He is mate... And I'm not ashamed of saying that... And I've been watching him since he first started at U20s.

I actually think he's regressed in some areas of his game from when I first saw him.

He has blinding speed, amazing footwork, brilliant vision, a top class passing game.

He used to have a great kicking game... But he has regressed badly in that area IMO... Especially his short kicking game.

His biggest flaw is massive... The fact he just goes missing when the Warriors need him the most.

He's had 2 big moments where he's stepped up in the clutch... The Prelim Final against Melbourne in 2011... And at the death against England in the World Cup Semi at Wembley last year.

I know one. A young Benji Marshall. All of those things you posted above (speed, footwork, vision etc...) are Benji traits, and the big difference is that Benji doesnt go missing in the big moments like you just said Johnson does.

Look, im not trying to bag Johnson, hes an obvious talent but he's at the start of his career and he really hasnt achieved anything yet. So to say he's the most gifted half you've ever seen shows that either you've been watching the game for about 2 years and not paid any attention to any other halves in the comp (JT, Cronk, DCE etc...) or you've got a woody for the guy.

I thought you're a Warriors fan, Shiznit. Johnson never had any sort of a kicking game in the 20's and it's still a work in progress. He's a quick learner though.
He's a gifted player with good footwork and pretty good vision/reading of the game in a small space. But this is rugby league, not touch footy. Someone that is known for being scared of physical contact cannot be called the most physically gifted half. His reluctance to engage the line severely limits his options and makes him disappear in tough, grinding battles.
Johnson is not more talented than the likes of Cherry Evans, Thurston or Andrew johns. He just doesn't play the same sport. Those three play(ed) rugby league, while Shaun plays touch football on a rugby league field. Good for a career of highlights but not ideal for getting consistent results.

Noa

First Grade
Johnson at the same age is nowhere near Benji. Sure Benji went off the boil the last 3rd of his career but let's not diminish his early year.

shiznit

Coach
I know one. A young Benji Marshall. All of those things you posted above (speed, footwork, vision etc...) are Benji traits, and the big difference is that Benji doesnt go missing in the big moments like you just said Johnson does.

Look, im not trying to bag Johnson, hes an obvious talent but he's at the start of his career and he really hasnt achieved anything yet. So to say he's the most gifted half you've ever seen shows that either you've been watching the game for about 2 years and not paid any attention to any other halves in the comp (JT, Cronk, DCE etc...) or you've got a woody for the guy.
I'm not disagreeing that they have similar traits... Especially with a young Benji...

But if you seriously compare them... While the traits are similar... Johnson is better in nearly every aspect.

He's bigger, stronger, faster... and while it has regressed from where it should be.. He actually has a kicking game.

There's not one aspect of a young Benji's game... That I would say would have been substantially better than Johnson's... And I can name numerous area's where Johnson far superior to Benji.

You talk about me having a woody for Johnson... I think you might have a woody for Benji... You talk about the big moments...

When I was talking about Johnson going missing in the big moments... Thats also a trait he shares with Benji.

Benji's greatest moment was his flick pass in the first half of the grand final... But apart from that... What other clutch things has he done??

I would say that Johnson's try assist in the 2011 prelim right at the death in Melbourne was better... As the season was on the line right at that time.

Then there's his try in the World Cup Semi.... Once again... All on the line...

Benji's greatest moment would be winning the lottery and picking up the crumbs from slaters shocking pass in the World Cup final.

When I talk about wanting Johnson to start taking control of the big moments... I'm wanting him to be like JT.

Please.... Benji Marshall with the season on the line decides to run it on the last when he's ahead on the scoreboard... Ie 2011 semi final vs the warriors.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Johnson hasn't achieved anything yet. He has physical gifts but at times has been lacking mentally.

Benji at his best played biggest in the big games. That's as rare a gift as any of his physical traits.

Charlie124

First Grade
I'm not disagreeing that they have similar traits... Especially with a young Benji...

But if you seriously compare them... While the traits are similar... Johnson is better in nearly every aspect.

He's bigger, stronger, faster... and while it has regressed from where it should be.. He actually has a kicking game.

There's not one aspect of a young Benji's game... That I would say would have been substantially better than Johnson's... And I can name numerous area's where Johnson far superior to Benji.

You talk about me having a woody for Johnson... I think you might have a woody for Benji... You talk about the big moments...

When I was talking about Johnson going missing in the big moments... Thats also a trait he shares with Benji.

Benji's greatest moment was his flick pass in the first half of the grand final... But apart from that... What other clutch things has he done??

I would say that Johnson's try assist in the 2011 prelim right at the death in Melbourne was better... As the season was on the line right at that time.

Then there's his try in the World Cup Semi.... Once again... All on the line...

Benji's greatest moment would be winning the lottery and picking up the crumbs from slaters shocking pass in the World Cup final.

When I talk about wanting Johnson to start taking control of the big moments... I'm wanting him to be like JT.

Please.... Benji Marshall with the season on the line decides to run it on the last when he's ahead on the scoreboard... Ie 2011 semi final vs the warriors.

I would call a try assist in a grand final [sarcasm]just marginally better[/sarcasm] than a try assist in a semi final as far as clutch moments go. Do you know the hardest part about watching what happened in that 2005 Grand Final as a Cowboys fan?? We knew he was the danger man and he was going to do something like that but we didnt know how to stop it. Benji doesn't disappear in the big games, he steps up in them. That alone puts him ahead of Johnson. You say you want him to be more like JT... so doesnt that at least make JT a more gifted half in your eyes?

You keep saying "Johnson has regressed in certain areas" from when you first saw him.... already?? hes a few years into his career and he's already on the slide in your own opinion. So which is it? is the the most gifted player youve ever seen or is he on the way down already?

shiznit

Coach
I would call a try assist in a grand final [sarcasm]just marginally better[/sarcasm] than a try assist in a semi final as far as clutch moments go. Do you know the hardest part about watching what happened in that 2005 Grand Final as a Cowboys fan?? We knew he was the danger man and he was going to do something like that but we didnt know how to stop it. Benji doesn't disappear in the big games, he steps up in them. That alone puts him ahead of Johnson. You say you want him to be more like JT... so doesnt that at least make JT a more gifted half in your eyes?

You keep saying "Johnson has regressed in certain areas" from when you first saw him.... already?? hes a few years into his career and he's already on the slide in your own opinion. So which is it? is the the most gifted player youve ever seen or is he on the way down already?
He's regressed from what was expected of him... He's a guy who led the NRL in 40/20s a couple of seasons ago.

Look... I'm not gonna go any further in to an pointless argument about a kids potential compared to what a veteran has achieved.

Johnson will end up a product of the hard work and dedication he puts into his craft.

In my opinion... And it's only my opinion... If he were to achieve what Benji has achieved... He would have underachieved for the natural talent he has.

IMO he should be aiming for Johnathan Thurston & Andrew Johns heights... Benji was great for the game... Especially here in NZ... But I think Johnson has the potential to be better.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
489931955-benji-marshall-takes-part-in-a-training-gettyimages.jpg

Boy, isn't that an image to sear into every Merge fans mind like a barnyard brand.

papabear

Juniors

It was SBW who stepped up in the WC semi at the end there with his big hard runs getting them the penalty. SJ scored that try because the idiot from England screamed out of the line and forced him to use his athletic abilities to step inside then score.

If England went up together SJ would have fked shit up. If he was taking the game by the scruff of the neck he wouldn't have been wide of the a defender in the first place he would be playing flatter and more direct putting the pressure on the defender scoring himself, or leaving the option for the cut out or the short pass.

vvvrulz

Coach
I have to agree that SJ overall was pretty poor in the world cup, and that semi-final made things look better than it was. I'm no SBW fan but he was huge for us.

But that said he's a young half with many years ahead of him, he'll come right if he keeps his head screwed on properly.

Juju

Juniors
Johnson hasn't achieved anything yet. He has physical gifts but at times has been lacking mentally.

Benji at his best played biggest in the big games. That's as rare a gift as any of his physical traits.
Ironically - he has achieved more than both Souths halves combined have? :lol:

POPEYE

Coach
Benji's never been the best player in the game and it'll be a f**king miracle if Shaun will ever be either. The Warriors would be far better team with Cronk/Thurston/Maloney calling the shots but that's not an answer to the question . . . Johnson v Marshall will probably end up 6 of one, half a dozen of the other

Latest posts