What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ship runs aground on Nobbys

strewth_mate

Bench
There's a few roads near my place that I hear are now lakes, but touch wood there's no dramas. Different story in the neighbouring suburbs and in the city itself, lots of stories of people being rescued from their cars floating away. Something like 3000 callouts for the SES according to ABC radio, that's a busy night.

Heard that King Street is under water, parked cars totally submerged. As one of the main roads into and out of the CBD, that's pretty crazy. Place has been declared a disaster zone apparently. Got people staying the night at work or trapped in their cars indefinitely. High tide comes in at 2am too, so if the rain hasn't eased off it could get pretty hairy. Wet hairy.

tiger_jack

Juniors
My unucle, who owns the amcal chemist at harvey bay/ warner bay I forget which one it is though said it was dramitic up there, i guess Ill get to see what all the fuss is about on sunday and monday when i come up there for the game.

Nuke

Staff member
Jesmond is under water? Can someone tell me whereabouts? My grandparents live on Goodwin St (just off Blue Gum Road). I was only there a couple of weeks ago, so more than ever, this is a complete mind-spin.

strewth_mate

Bench
Can't really help there I'm afraid - I've heard reports that Bluegum was under water and blocked off for quite a while, but then some people are saying it's now driveable. Compared to places like Hunter and King St though, where cars are submerged and floating around, it's apparently not too terrible. Without being able to get out there myself though, I have no idea. Crazy day.

Nuke

Staff member
Jeebus. They have told me a couple of years ago about previous floodings of the area. Because their house is raised, the water either only just avoided getting into the house, or only a little bit got in. Other houses around the Blue Gum Road area weren't so lucky.

It's strange, I feel like I should be over there right now.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Jesus - no offense but Newcastle really is a hole.

Yes, because the weather is entirely Newcastle's fault - and not the fault of global warming :p Al Gore was right!

roopy

Referee
shipwreck001.jpg

shipwreck002.jpg

shipwreck004.jpg

Dora street Dora Creek at about 7 this morning

roopy

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
About a ft of water.
I'm downloading a few more - but because i'm a sugar baby and can't get wet - they are all pretty much taken from the car park of Dora Creek train station.
There is about 7 or 8 feet of water on the road under the rail bridge and it is running pretty fast - but it was too dark to take a pic of.

Serc

First Grade
Geez guys, some incredible happenings there...certainly not what I was expecting! Maybe rain event/east coast low of the year, not of the decade! Certainly quite amazing to hear of flooding in places I used to visit a lot or live very close do - did you guys mean University Drive was closed for part of yesterday? If so no wonder it stuffed things up so badly...

Edit: Holy crap where did you take those Parki???

Latest posts